NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Carb Trouble?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Carb Trouble?
    Posted: July-25-2012 at 5:00pm
Car Craft Save That Swapmeet Holley

This is one of the better online Holley rebuilding articles I've seen. Most of the stuff is the same between Automotive and Marine as far as cleaning.

The float levels on Marine don't typically have external adjustments though. Also, the J-tubes instead of straight tubes, but that's really just a detail. Marine don't have the fast idle cam. But, by and large, it's the same.
First CC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote First CC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2012 at 2:41pm
Ok so if I clean the primary metering block's idle fuel orifices with carb cleaner then all should be fine? I think I found how to do this on ehow.com but its for cars not boats? Is it the same for either? Thx
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2012 at 2:10pm
Welcome

Best carb is exactly what you have. No edelbrock, unless you like fiddling with carbs instead of skiing.

Holleys need clean fuel to be happy.
Even a new carb will clog up unless you adress the fuel issue.

Your primary metering block's idle fuel orifices are clogged. The rebuild did not rectify them as it should.

Either rebuild yourself or find a new carb guy or get a new holley or just the metering block. But address the fuel issue either way,
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
First CC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote First CC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2012 at 1:56pm
Hi all- We bought a 1992 196 this spring and it ran great for the first 2-3 weekend! Then after pulling our younger kids on tube I shut it down to pull them in and when I restarted the boat it would not idle! This boat was in storage for about 2 years before we bought it and a dealer serviced it and winterized it. I have had the carb gone through and cleaned, still had issues. Then I had the card rebuilt... still issues! The biggest issue is on take off, it either wont idle and bogs down and stalls or when I put it in gear to pull ropes tight it will do that. It is running a lot better but still think its not 100%! Top end is just fine 44-46 without batting an eye! It just a little hiccup in idle or just past idle that is really the trouble now. The mechanic I have had working on it said that Holly carb can be a little temperamental and maybe if we are going to keep this boat long term I should look into an Edelbrock carb. I dont know enough yet to know what carb is best for this boat and looking for some help? BTW it has a ford 351 with I think 255 hp and 4 blade prop. We absolutely love this boat and are really hoping this is a very temporary problem as she has only 483 hours on her! Hope someone out there can help!! Thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic