NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1968 Chrysler 318 Distributor

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
blammie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blammie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1968 Chrysler 318 Distributor
    Posted: August-08-2012 at 12:55pm
Talked to pertronix tech support. They agree that distributor will not work, and they'll take it back no problem. They did identify module that fits my distributor, and is cheaper anyways. So all is good. Gonna get new module (igniter II #91581) and 45kv coil.

To answer your question. Nothing is wrong with distributor. I just want to upgrade and I couldn't find the module for my distributor at first.

Which Malory did you put in? It should be the same. looks like 273-360 are all the same.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2012 at 10:17am
I've installed a mallory in a 340 without issue, works great but the tach won't work without some type of adapter from mallory.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2012 at 6:47am
My first question is what was wrong with your old distributor? The Pertronix doesn't have a great track record but, you may be stuck with that brand.

Check out Hurrikain

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
blammie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blammie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2012 at 3:51am
Wondering if any other Barracuda owners have had similar problems. I ordered a Pertronix distributor(part #D241800)and was trying to install today, and it didn't fit right. They don't make just the module for my existing distributor, which I believe is a Prestolite. (It has the following markings: Chrysler 2444988, and IBM 4109-a 207.) Anyways, shaft length appears similar, but the bottom of the distributor is thicker, and doesn't seat all the way down into the engine. (The O-ring gasket is still visible when distributor bottoms out.) This is causing the shaft to not seat in the keyway on the distributor gear. I'm pretty confused right now as Pertronix only shows one distributor (in two colors) for all Chrysler 318's. In fact they show the same distributor for the 273, 318, 340, and 360. Has anybody else had a similar issue, or switched out a distributor in a 318 without problems. Any help or insight would be appreciated.    
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic