Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Martinique timing issue.

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
89Martinique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Martinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Martinique timing issue.
    Posted: August-06-2012 at 7:42pm
Ok, we have an 89 Martinique and my grandmother has 89 Martinique c/b. Well we set the timing on our boat last year to 10 degrees btdc. my grandmothers was set a couple years ago to 10 as well. Well a month ago i checked hers for the fun of it and found it running at 0 TDC. set it to 10 and running much better. WE put new plugs in our boat last year and set the timing. I checked it just today and found it 1 ATDC!!!!!! its running so much better now than it was earlier his morning when we did skiing and such.

Now both boats have ALL ORIGINAL ignition. Except for plugs. My question is how on earth did the timings get so far off???? When I undid the retaining bolt on each engine they were pretty tight. Both boats have the PCM 351W PowerPlus Package.

Oh our boat has 760 hours. (had 650 when we got it in fall 2010 and around 700 when we did plugs and timing last year) My grandmas only has 440 hours and doesn't see much use.
Current Boats:

1992 Supra Comp-TS6M PCM 351w HO Pro Boss Pro-Tec Ignition - Full Composite (no wood stingers!)

1989 (3rd Gen) Correct Craft Martinique B/R PCM 351w Power Plus

1984 E-Scow

Keuka Lake,
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2012 at 7:45pm
Did you check the advance mechanism on the distributor. They do have a tendency to rust up.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Martinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2012 at 7:48pm
oh might want to add that we have had our Supra since 1994 and never done anything to the timing and checked it this year to find it running dead on after years of hard use and over 1500 hours.
Current Boats:

1992 Supra Comp-TS6M PCM 351w HO Pro Boss Pro-Tec Ignition - Full Composite (no wood stingers!)

1984 E-Scow

Keuka Lake,

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Martinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2012 at 7:50pm
i revved the engines while using timing light and both engines advance and retard very smoothly. i will squirt a little oil in each to help prevent them from rusting.
Current Boats:

1984 E-Scow

Keuka Lake,
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic