Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

hard to steer while under way

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
KileyB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KileyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: hard to steer while under way
    Posted: August-10-2012 at 9:37pm
I've read several posts here and other sites and can't seem to find an answer so here it goes. I replaced my steering cable last summer. Steering remains difficult while under way but is smooth as butter while stationary. The steering box is slipping on the steering cable and needs to be replaced but is not the cause of the hard steering. Thoughts?
'92 Excel
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2012 at 9:50pm
By that description, I'd stand a few feet back from the stern and sight the running gear to the front. If the prop is noticably to one side of the rudder, the prop wash will weight it.

By steering box, you mean the clamp block in the back?

How does it steer when it's in gear at idle?
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2012 at 11:08pm
You might also try coating the rudder shaft with anti seize or other waterproof grease. Wouldn't cost much to try.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2012 at 11:24pm
Definitely pull the rudder and grease it. I have a thread on here about rudder packing, with detailed instructions/photos.
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
CarlosDiaz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CarlosDiaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2012 at 5:27am
Maintain boat pats is really a hectic work. For this purpose share some tips for it.
dwcar View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwcar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2012 at 11:01am
83Ski
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2012 at 1:15pm
Also, what year is the boat? Mine has a zerk fitting right on the rudder port. Just a couple pumps with a grease gun will help if you have the fitting and lack of grease is the problem.
KileyB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KileyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2012 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

By that description, I'd stand a few feet back from the stern and sight the running gear to the front. If the prop is noticably to one side of the rudder, the prop wash will weight it.

By steering box, you mean the clamp block in the back?

How does it steer when it's in gear at idle?

I'll check the alignment this morning. Not sure what to call the steering mechanism. It's the large gear that the steering cable wraps around. The steering cable is slipping around it when the steering gets really stiff.

It steers freely when idling to pick up a fallen rider or around the dock. Anything much above that gets progressively harder to turn.
'92 Excel
KileyB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KileyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2012 at 3:31pm
Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

Also, what year is the boat? Mine has a zerk fitting right on the rudder port. Just a couple pumps with a grease gun will help if you have the fitting and lack of grease is the problem.

Its a 92 Excel. It's does have the grease zerk but I think my mechanic greases it each year when he pulls it out of layup. I'll have to shoot some grease in there and see if that's it. It's like it binds up due to the force of the prop wash.
'92 Excel
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2012 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by KileyB KileyB wrote:

The steering box is slipping on the steering cable and needs to be replaced but is not the cause of the hard steering. Thoughts?

I feel this is the cause of your problem. Are you sure the helm isn't the cause of you're hard steering? If the cable rack is slipping on the pinon in the helm box, that's not good!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
oldcuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2012 at 4:19pm
X2 on that, steering box has to go
KileyB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KileyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2012 at 4:25pm
Steering box/Helm is a problem but not the problem. I can steer with 1 finger while at a stand still. When i'm running any faster than an idle it's a two handed effort which is when the cable starts so slip due to the force required to get the rudder to move. It only happens while under way. I can't do anything more than about a 1/2 or 3/4 of the steering wheel then it binds up.
'92 Excel
KileyB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KileyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2012 at 5:17pm
...also has anyone documented pulling the steering head apart? It seems that in 1991/1992 Nautique used the Morse Teleflex Rotary steering head. When I opened it up last week there was a white plastic piece that was chewed up (I just remembered this....that's what I get for driving boat non-stop at church camp last week). Anyhow I think the rotary gear in the back looks okay but it may be moving too much due to some sort of shim or spacer that's now missing. I hate to spend $150 when it may be something really cheap and simple.
'92 Excel
KileyB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KileyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2012 at 6:08pm
Regarding the alignment of the prop and rudder I'm not real sure. I took a couple of pictures and it seems that the nut on the prop is not dead center but off to the right of the rudder.

'92 Excel
KileyB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KileyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2012 at 6:19pm
This one is a little better. Also, I had my wife turn the steering wheel in the driveway just now. It moved freely. I then pulled on the rudder as if there was prop wash going against it. It was hard to turn and the steering started skipping on her. The rudder has a little play in it. I'm thinking it's binding up under load and needs to be adjusted. I'm sure noeone has messed with it in the last 4-5 years or more so I figure that it's time to repack it. Unfortunantly my trailer doesn't have a removable prop guard so I'm going to have to tow it down to the boat ramp and lets the back end hang off the trailer. Thankfully I live 15 minutes from the river so it's not to much trouble.

Is there anything else I should consider doing while I have the rudder out? I've heard people shave the rudder but I have no idea why.

'92 Excel
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2012 at 7:15pm
from what you describe I think you just should throw out the old helm and cable and go to a new rack and pinion system- new cable and helm.
This is the life
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2012 at 7:41pm
+1 I wonder when the rudder gets loaded if the helm binds and then slips. Why not disconnect the rudder taking that out of the equation and see if your problem is still there by holding the cabel end?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2012 at 7:43pm
if the helm is the problem, Kroundy may have one if the parts are interchangeable from a ski to an excel.   check out the parts section
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2012 at 7:59pm

I'm thinking it's binding up under load and needs to be adjusted. I'm sure noeone has messed with it in the last 4-5 years or more so I figure that it's time to repack it.

One more comment is that the newer boats seem to have problems with steering systems, what has changed? Certainly not the rudders they are about the same for the last 50 years. The cable? yes and the failure rate has gone up too. The helm? made from stamped steel compaired to the castings of the older ones.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
oldcuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2012 at 8:57pm
I just replaced cable in my Resorter and was actualy cheaper to buy cable with the rack housing(helm)with all new bolts everything you need for silky smooth steering. Teleflex about $160 and worth every cent in my opinion.I know my cable was bad but for $25 less and an extra 1/2 hr no brainer.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2012 at 9:05pm
Yes, it looks like the prop is off to the right. Have you done a shaft alignment lately?
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2012 at 9:41pm
Kapla went through this with his 92 ski Nautique.

Nautique Parts has everything you would need to get a new rotary helm.

I know Kapla just changed over his whole system, of course he was in Argentina and didn't have as ready access to parts. His old helm had pretty much disentigrated. You're right about it being a rotary system, and a little different from a lot of others. Just 91 and 92 had that it looks like.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2012 at 9:11am
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

Yes, it looks like the prop is off to the right. Have you done a shaft alignment lately?

Looks like the strut and rudder port have been removed as well.
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2012 at 4:13pm

Is there anything else I should consider doing while I have the rudder out? I've heard people shave the rudder but I have no idea why.

Filing the rudder is for fine tuning. That comes way after the helm and strut...if at all.

1988 BFN-sold

KileyB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KileyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2012 at 2:29am

Do you mean to say removed and replaced again?
'92 Excel
KileyB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KileyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2012 at 2:33am

I've never done one. Sounds a little scary even for someone who isn't too afaid to do their own work. I've considered calling the local boat shop to see what they would charge to do it. have you done it yourself before?
'92 Excel
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2012 at 2:40am
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2012 at 3:50am

Do you mean to say removed and replaced again?

Yes, the sealant doesn't look factory.
1988 BFN-sold

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2012 at 6:30am
I really don't feel that alignment is the cause of the hard steering. Maybe some but that would be in one direction only. You need to focus on that bad helm box.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2012 at 1:21pm
Several years ago on my Mustang, I noticed hard steering to the right and it was fine turning to the left. What happened is the thick spring on the helm end of the cable that the gears grab hold on was broken. Turning to the left was pulling the cable. But when I turned to the right which pushes the cable out of the helm, the cable was bunching up between the gears because the thick outer spring the wraps around the cable was broken. Well it finally broke one day. I took the helm apart and there was a big "hairball" of broken cable fibers in the grease.
Tim D
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic