Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wakeboard question

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
parrott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parrott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wakeboard question
    Posted: September-05-2012 at 12:35am
Trying to learn to wakeboard at the ripe old age of 55. Got a bad knee and the position of my rear leg on the wakeboard puts a severe strain on my knee. Can I position the rear binder at a angle that will put less stress on the knee? Probably a stupid question but thanks for the advice.
1999 Air Nautique

1992 Nautique

1978 Nautique
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2012 at 1:23am
You can position the bindings any way that makes you happy. There are not rules.

Depending upon how you set it up, it may make it difficult for you to ride switch (riding with the opposite foot forward) and make it difficultg to do some tricks. However, if you're 55 with a bum knee, I'm guessing you're just looking to get up and have some fun crossing the wake and jumping a little, not doing speedballs, tantrums and raley's.

Ideally, a board is best set up so the feet are identical. Both feet ducked out as far comfortable. If the rear knee hurts, bring it in till confortable. I would not bring the rear foot in any farther than perpendicular to the board. In other words, I would not recommend both feet facing forward. For folks who arent' going to ride switch, I think it is pretty common to have the back foot perpendicular to the board, and the front foot ducked forward to 45%.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2012 at 1:25am
P.S. also experiment a bit with your stance width. I did not like my rear foot ducked out until I widened the stance all the way out on my board. Doing so forced me to bend my knees just enough to take the twisting out of my knee. BKH
Livin' the Dream

MattB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2012 at 9:16am
You are hitting a very common problem with people starting out wakeboarding, you have too much weight on your back foot....Get more weight onto your front foot, keep putting the weight forward and constantly think about keeping your weight even over the board and this will help with your knees and stop the rear leg/knee burn, stand tall and keep relaxed, your legs should look even, don't ride with your front leg straight and your rear knee bent.

I started out cable riding where you are pretty much left to your own devices and I pickup up some very bad habits, it wasn't until a trip to XtremeGene in Spain a few years back that I had the coach screaming at me (in a very strong European accent) "You need more weight on your front foot" This has stuck and I still think about my weight distribution when riding.

Keep your binding ducked out on both feet otherwise you are never going to ride switch.
Learn to surface 180 and ride switch as soon as you can so that if you do start to feel it in your back knee (because you are back foot heavy) you can switch and take the strain off your rear knee.

BTW, I am guessing this is your problem as I have seen several people with this issue and I have bad knees myself so know that feeling

parrott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parrott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2012 at 12:11pm
Thanks for the great advice. You are right, I am just wanting to cross the wakes..do a little jumping and just have some fun. I probably did have too much weight on the back leg. You can count on this site for the best info!
1999 Air Nautique

1992 Nautique

1978 Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic