NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Barefoot Handle Bear Trap or not?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Barefoot Handle Bear Trap or not?
    Posted: September-10-2012 at 10:01am
Opinions? Buying a front toe handle. BI has each at $99. Site says that the Bear trap is used more in tourneys.
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)
86BFN View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86BFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2012 at 12:14pm
I'm not sure what the difference is. I looked them up and it looks like they used the same picture for both.
FYI. I have a BI front toe handle and I love it!
👣 Steve
86 Barefoot Nautique

89 Martinique
Former Owner: 93 Hydrodyne 350 MAG
watrski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watrski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2012 at 12:24pm
If you need to ask this question then you do not need a bear trap.

FYI The bear trap locks on your foot, whereas the open style does not.
Tubing Sucks.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2012 at 12:26pm
Bear trap has an extra rope side to side in front of the toe strap. It's a snugger fit. Better for smaller feet and toe ups and turns. Don't get it if you don't need it (slipping out of a regular toe).
tbeard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2012 at 2:13pm
I have both from BI. I no longer use the Bear Trap handle because it is a little harder to get my foot in....plus you have to use a special little kick technique to get it off sometimes.
For the open toe it works fine for front/back toe ups and toe holds. Just get your foot deep in the hold.
I do not do toe turns so I cannot comment on that. I really like the BI handles.
Thanks.......Tom
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2012 at 2:22pm
Stay away from the beartrap. The bridle is set up to hold and wrap the foot in with the pull of the boat. along with toe turns, they are useful for toe-ups. I would stay away from them until you can use a standard version well.

You may want to test (dry land) a few different types (masterline, us gear, barefoot int., the barefoot company) if you have friends that have them. Each one has a different fit to the foot. Some more open than others etc.
Got Foot?
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2012 at 2:28pm
FYI: my favorite toe handle is the US Gear. They make the best handles as far as I can tell. 140 bucks is a bit stiff, though.

http://wbc.photobiz.com/cart/product_detail.cfm?productID=51865&categoryID=13343

Got Foot?
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2012 at 5:57pm
+1 on US Gear, but have a preferance for Masterline.
...those who have fallen and those who will.
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2012 at 6:20pm
I don't see anybody using a bear trap anymore, I never use one, if you can't keep the regular toe hold on then you are doing something wrong.

There is no such thing as a back toe bear trap handle...

LakeElmoSports has the Barefoot Company handles which are about the same as BI...both are very durable and long lasting and the cheapest.
The curved handles from US Gear are nice, they are they IN thing right now. They are very comfortable to use. plus you can get them custom with different dia handles, different grips..etc for more money of course.
This is the life
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2012 at 7:49pm
Ryan, I have a masterline, too and like it. I like my friends US Gear a bit better though. Anny is right, they are a bit more trick. I happen to like the way my foot goes into it and the shape of the strap. Minor points, but worth to mention.
Got Foot?
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2012 at 7:51pm
Andy: it is sick out right now. 85 degrees, no wind! YIKES!
Got Foot?
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2012 at 8:00pm
Originally posted by LakeBoy LakeBoy wrote:

Andy: it is sick out right now. 85 degrees, no wind! YIKES!

Timing is everything. Got up at 7 yesterday with tentative plans to head out, so of course, hurricane beulah was blowing through. Got up to go to work this morning and looked out on this....can't win.

GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2012 at 8:00pm
I could foot
This is the life
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2012 at 8:48pm
Larry, where is this picture taken?

Andy: wish I could foot. buried. tomorrow?
Got Foot?
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2012 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by LakeBoy LakeBoy wrote:

Larry, where is this picture taken?

Lake Sequoia, Seven Lakes, NC
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2012 at 10:36pm
Is that picture out your back door? If so, I want to move!
Got Foot?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic