Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GT 40 Won't Start

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
wrollema View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wrollema Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GT 40 Won't Start
    Posted: October-10-2012 at 1:07pm
GT 40 turns over, no spark and obviously doesn't start; suggestions?
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2012 at 1:47pm
Two things that quickly come to mind, that have been mentioned recently:
-Bad TFI Module

-Relays, there are multiple, similar relays, that work with the fuel pumps and ECU
wrollema View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wrollema Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2012 at 4:33pm
Thier is a number of wires that go to the Coil and I ASSUME that they connect to the ECU, if yes what testing can I preform that the problerm is with the coil or the ECU?
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2012 at 8:52pm
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
Bakchose View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bakchose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2012 at 11:08am
Mine wouldn't this summer as well. One of the breakers on the back of the engine kept tripping. Sometimes it would only pop part way and I had to push it really hard. It was a bad fuel pump. It's a common problem. I'd start there.
wrollema View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wrollema Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2012 at 4:39pm
Many Thanks, that diagram will help a lot.
wrollema View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wrollema Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2012 at 4:53pm
Looking at the Test Document a little closer do you have a drawning of the coil that shows the pin out?
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2012 at 9:20am
Willy the coil only has two terminals. Also do not worry about the "Start" voltage on pin 4 of TFI in above guide. As the GT40 engine uses a CCD TFI it will be the "IDM" signal instead. The trouble shooting guide is for a automotive application with the "push start" TFI ignition module.

Are you sure you have fuel? It is easy to check with a pressure gauge at the FCC or schrader valve on fuel rail. If the EEC relay is not activating you will have no spark and the fuel pumps will not run. The pumps do their prime cycle at initial ignition switch to on position.

Can you hear the fuel pumps run their prime cycle??
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
wrollema View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wrollema Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2012 at 1:52pm
Ye, the fuel pump iniate
96SNEFI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 96SNEFI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2019 at 3:45pm
I searched "automotive gt40 coil" and found this thread. Who needs a new thread amiright? So how about a 7 year thread necro :)
Can I use an automotive coil on the GT40? Or does the coil need to be a marinized one? (if there's any difference in this case)
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2019 at 4:24pm
No difference
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
96SNEFI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 96SNEFI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2019 at 4:34pm
Gary S: Thank you thank you thank you.
I then did other searching elsewhere and found that it's more the starter, alternator, distributor that needs marinization. Although Vince at SkiDIM said that the GT40 distributor is no longer available or something like that. Or I misunderstood him.

Thank you again. You just saved me some bucks and more importantly...time.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2019 at 4:41pm
Maybe Vince can't get them through PCM but they are available- it is/was a Ford part and can be rebuilt if it came to that
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
96SNEFI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 96SNEFI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2019 at 4:44pm
I should give Vince the shout out though. As others have said...super helpful. When he answered I thought "oh I know this name".
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2019 at 12:26am
Originally posted by 96SNEFI 96SNEFI wrote:

Gary S: Thank you thank you thank you.
I then did other searching elsewhere and found that it's more the starter, alternator, distributor that needs marinization. Although Vince at SkiDIM said that the GT40 distributor is no longer available or something like that.

Yes the "GT40 distributor" as such is not available but the good news is the bulk of the part is identical to the automotive version. The only difference is the cap - Auto is vented, marine cannot be vented. Either silicon the vent hole closed - which is what I and many others on the site have done - or pick up the auto version and buy a separate GT40 cap, which are still available.
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
96SNEFI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 96SNEFI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2019 at 2:16am
Update: got an automotive coil (gold main pin), installed it, tried to start - ran like a top.

I'm not sure yet if I'm imagining things but maybe the tach is more solid now. It would frequently jump around some before.
I'm wondering if last year saw some dying symptoms. I had a nasty outing cruising where after a while the thing would chug and surge and just be awful. Made it back to the lift finally. Then it ran fine. There might have been the odd drop out here and there but not certain.
This final outing recently, the thing did a nasty drop in running and then picked up again. But finally it just wouldn't start. Got the tow of shame from a Malibu.

I also replaced both relays just because.

So we'll see for the next while if I get any more odd behavior.

Thanks Gary S and gt40KS for your distributor detail.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic