Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

floor repair and exploration

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 5>
Author
teelta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teelta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: floor repair and exploration
    Posted: November-12-2012 at 6:26pm
I have a 1989 SN 2001. It has a bad soft spot just forward the ski pylon. When I took out the screws for the pitots to replace them, water came out the transom. When I took off the stabilizer fins to straighten them, water poured out. When I replaced the drive shaft, I noticed that oil residue was all the way up to the gas tank. It seems like the boat has been filled up with water at least to the floor level if not above prior to my ownership. I just picked this boat up this past Spring/early summer. I want to at least fix the portion of flooring in front of the pylon. I know I need to explore other areas of my floor but not sure exactly how to proceed without ripping everything out. I'm afraid I'm in for possible stringer replacement - maybe transom too?? But if so, I don't have the work space to work on this type of repair. The boat doesn't seem heavy in the water - the platform is about 1-2 inches above the water. But pretty sure there is at least some water trapped in there and will eventually lead to stringer replacement if not taken care of. If I just did the small floor repair where it is rotted, how long will it take for the rest of the floor/stringers to go? If you have time to provide me some direction, I would appreciate it.   
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2012 at 9:08pm
The factor in your favor is that your boat was made with the AME resin, which doesn't absorb water - so the stringers may not be totally rotted yet.

Others will suggest you do a full rebuild - I suggest you 1st just open up that floor section and then do some drilling into the stringers there to see how wet they are.

Post some photos so we can follow your progress.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
teelta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teelta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2012 at 1:55am
Looks like the floor is 1/4" fiberglass on top of wood. The wood looks like 1X6 boards and are not attached to the stringers. Is that factory or a botched floor job? The boards are pretty rotted. Also the top of the starboard stringer is rotted about 2 inches from the top. Couldn't really tell on the port side.

Not sure how to proceed. Should I go ahead and get the engine out and start taking up the whole floor? or test some other sections? Can anyone tell me how far to go up under the dash? Looks like the floor and setup (i.e. single exhaust) in my 89 is a little different than other 2001s. I'm assuming there are secondary stringers in there somewhere? Can anyone give me a layout under the floor if it is different than other 2001 so I know what to expect?
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2012 at 2:35am
This is the only wood in the floor the rest is glass over foam.
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2012 at 5:30am
The 89 is different more like TimB's 90 due to the single exhaust. I have some pictures some where of a 89 with the floor ripped up will try and find them for you.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2012 at 9:12am
The stringer lay out may be different but it's still glass on foam.
If you dig you will find rot so unless you want to do the stringers fix the wood and call it a day.
teelta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teelta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2012 at 11:56am
Thanks for the pic and info - very helpful. What is the advantage of fiberglass over foam? I like the idea of the floor made out of marine grade plywood - it seems stronger in my mind.
teelta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teelta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2012 at 12:11pm
gun-driver did you replace your stringers?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2012 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by teelta teelta wrote:

gun-driver did you replace your stringers?

Yes I did a complete rebuild of my '85.
teelta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teelta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2012 at 1:38pm
Do you have any more pics? How do you build up 1/4" of fiberglass? That's a lot of glass. Would it be better to use plywood and glass over that?
teelta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teelta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2012 at 1:38pm
Do you have any more pics? How do you build up 1/4" of fiberglass? That's a lot of glass. Would it be better to use plywood over the whole floor and glass over that?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2012 at 7:07pm

Thanks for the pic and info - very helpful. What is the advantage of fiberglass over foam? I like the idea of the floor made out of marine grade plywood - it seems stronger in my mind.

Marine isn't needed. Search the site.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2012 at 7:08pm

Do you have any more pics? How do you build up 1/4" of fiberglass? That's a lot of glass. Would it be better to use plywood and glass over that?

Yes he did. Search the site.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2012 at 7:10pm

Do you have any more pics? How do you build up 1/4" of fiberglass? That's a lot of glass. Would it be better to use plywood over the whole floor and glass over that?

Yes, there are details on glass over the foam. Search the site.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2012 at 8:33pm
Pete I do have to say when you try and search the site it is not easy to find what you want and even with keywords it is hard for me even after 5 yrs . maybe i am slow to learn but i have to blame the search for some of it . I have had a fairly simple question to ask that is probably somewhere on here but the search hasnt shown me . I have tried 5 or 6 times and am wary of asking here also so i will call a composites company for the answer
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
Frankenotter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2012 at 9:58pm
Try doing a google search.

For example, if you want to find stringer threads type:

Correct craft fan + stringer

This helped me quite a bit. The search function on the forum is no good.
1999 Ski Nautique 196
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2012 at 10:44pm
I looked up my old rebuild thread but the photos aren't there because I rearranged my photo bucket.
My build was a little different as I didn't put foam back in I used supports perpendicular to the stringers instead. I also wanted the boat light so I used 1x8 from the pylon forward and 1/4" luan (made for under tile) for the rest of the floor with 2 layers of mat and 1 layer of cloth and it's very solid.
Here’s the link to my photo bucket.
http://s256.photobucket.com/albums/hh176/gun-driver/85%20boat%20rebuild/
teelta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teelta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2012 at 12:04am

You can see that part of the stringer (surrounded by foam) is laminated with fiberglass but the section closer to the engine is not. No wonder it rotted. Could someone have tried to splice in a new stringer?

lovely rot, right?

How far up under the dash do you go? I can see wood under portions of it.
I haven't explored any of the sides or back yet, but given the extent of rot on those stringers in front of the engine is it safe to say I need to go ahead and get the engine out and do a full stringer replacement?

Gun-driver thanks for the link and thanks for your help! :)
teelta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teelta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2012 at 6:41pm
Got the gas tank out today. What is this bundle of wire at the transom? There are 2 on each side (one set is blue and gray and the other is red and gray).

Are these vent tubes right? One comes from the blower but the other supposed to just hang there?

Anyone able to answer my previous post(s)?
turningpoint84 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2012 at 7:11pm
teelta, Don't get frustrated, obviously you know you have a TON of work ahead of you. I suggest looking for another 89 that's been restrung.

Do it right, REMOVE EVERYTHING that's on or near the floor. I know this sucks, but you'll be happy you did it later.

That means yes everything under the dash/bow.

As for those wires, I have no idea, i'm sure someone with a 2001 can help you.

Proud 1968 mustang owner and now
1970 Mustang
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2012 at 7:20pm
This is a messy, expensive, time consuming and hard job. However, it needs done. There are some "splicing" products out there, but anyone on this site will recommend a full strip and rebuild. Anything else is subject to failure. There is no really good shortcut, do it all or patch the floor up and move on.
Waternut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waternut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2012 at 7:27pm
That other hose should be connected to a vent on the outside of the boat.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2012 at 7:52pm
The factory radio had a 4x10 speaker in the seat corner bases. I'm betting those are the wires. For the most part a complete wiring harness was installed on all boats.
teelta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teelta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2012 at 11:10pm
I haven't been able to work on my boat but have been doing a LOT of reading. I still haven't made up my mind between plywood floor and foam and fiberglass. I don't want a lighter boat because I mostly wakeboard behind it. I can't tell from my research if there is a significant difference in weight between the two. Also, I wonder if anyone has done plywood and foam?
79TiqueRebuild View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79TiqueRebuild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2012 at 11:40pm
When I replaced my stringers I used foam around the front air box and battery box to the bulkhead separating the engine compartment. I reused the fiberglass air box and went with plywood for the floor. It was cpes'ed and fiberglassed heavily. I am very pleased with the way it turned out. Read lots of stringer threads and decide which way will be the best for you. Hope this helps, Monty
teelta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teelta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2012 at 12:21am
Anybody know weight differences between plywood and no foam, foam and fiberglass, and coosa with or without foam?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2012 at 3:14pm

I don't want a lighter boat because I mostly wakeboard behind it.   

My theory on this was...if I want to make a wake I'll put bags in it, but when just cruising around, bare-footing or skiing I don't want the extra weight.
As for how much lighter it is I'm not sure until I get it over to the local supply yard and put it on the scale. Been meaning to do this just haven't got around to it.
teelta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teelta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2012 at 10:55pm
The engine's out...

The floor is out and the foam is out...
I found a sharpshooter shovel to work the best for foam removal.
Almost done getting the air box out. After that, on to stringers!
79TiqueRebuild View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79TiqueRebuild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2012 at 11:09pm
Looks like it is coming along.
Was the foam waterlogged?
Nice engine hoist! I had to remove a wheel to barely get mine to clear.
Keep the pictures coming. Monty
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2012 at 1:44am
Well you can take the foam out like that or...
you can take a hand saw cut along the edges down to the hull and pop them out with a pry bar in nice big squares.

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 5>
  Share Topic