Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Paddlewheel location and hull thickness

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
2001SAN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2001SAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Paddlewheel location and hull thickness
    Posted: December-27-2012 at 12:19pm
Hi all,

I'm removing and cleaning the paddlewheel installation on my boat. It was an aftermarket installation by the PO and was a bit of a mess. Mainly, it was not flush with the outside of the hull and was a mess with silicon/sealant. I wasn't sure if it was especially watertight so I sealed it up to last to the end of the season but now I'm reinstalling.

I've removed and cleaned all the silicone off the paddlewheel transducer/fitting and the hole itself. I've noticed that the hull is not of even thickness where it's drilled. When it was installed previously the tightening of the threaded ring on the inside of the hull had pushed one edge of the transducer out on the outside of the hull. The owner had filled this gap with half a flat rubber o ring and smothered sealant around it, hence the messy finish.

My question is, what's the best way to keep the paddlewheel flush on the hull exterior if the hole is drilled through a section that is of varying thickness? Could i get a compressible flat seal for the inside of the hull that would allow for the difference?

Also, is ther anything I should do with the hole itself in terms of sealing before reinstalling?

Apologies for the long post and I hope it makes sense!

D.
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2012 at 1:11pm
Hard to say without seeing it, sounds like the hole is a little big. Could you build a flat spot inside for it?. I would try to position it the best it can be on the outside and then build a spot on the inside that puts it there. Once that's do you can figure out how to seal up any gaps that are left. Sounds like a bit of a project, but a least it doesn't have to be pretty since nobody will see it.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2012 at 1:13pm
I would definitely check the manual, or the perfect pass website, to confirm the existing hole is even in the correct location. Believe they are very specific on where the paddle wheels should be installed.
2001SAN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2001SAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2012 at 3:18pm
I've checked the installtion instructions and it seems to be in the right place. The instructions also suggest using a foam washer on the inside for 'tightening of the hull nut to irregular hull surfaces'.

I've maybe made it sound worse than it is but i think that a foam washer thats a few mm think sould do the trick. Building it up on the inside could also work. The difference in thickness is maybe only 1mm but I haven't measured it accuratley yet.
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing...

2001 Super Air Nautique
1989 Fairline Corniche 31

www.bannrivercruises.co.uk
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic