Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Parts for 1964 Interceptor 260

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
GBarker123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GBarker123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Parts for 1964 Interceptor 260
    Posted: January-05-2013 at 9:20pm
Hi guys-

I started asking about this a few months ago, but didn't get very far. I thought I'd give it another shot now that everyone's hunkered down for the winter.

I'm restoring a 1964 American Skier with a 260 ci Interceptor engine and a transmission of unknown (to me) manufacturer and model. Someone apparently replaced the starter and/or separator plate (metal plate that sits bewteen the bell housing and the engine) at some point, but didn't do it right. The result is that the ring gear teeth are all worn down, with lots of metal shavings found just below the starter in the bell housing. I believe that the separator plate is what is supposed to position the starter the correct distance from the ring gear, but I can see that someone has hand-ground the plate to try to make the starter fit. At this point, to get everything right, I'd like to replace the starter, ring gear, and separator plate. I've been told that for the ring gear I just need to measure the I.D. and count the teeth and I should be able to get one from NAPA (true?). But for the plate and starter I need to know exactly what part number (or other description) I'm looking for; then I need to know where to look for the parts. I can't go off of what I already have since both parts, I suspect, are the incorrect ones.

One more part that I need is the water pump impeller. Again, I don't know exactly what to ask for or where to look.

Can anyone help?

-Greg
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2013 at 9:34pm
Greg,
Get the manual for the Y block from marineengine.com. There is a parts section in it.

The trans is a Dearbomatic. The manual will help with it but parts for it are pretty scarce. Bruce (riley) does have a contact by him that could help. PM Bruce if he doesn't catch this post.

Where are the pictures???

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2013 at 9:47pm
The manual is also in the CCF reference section. I have an old shop parts manual for that engine. I'll see if I can find numbers that you're looking for, although typically Interceptor had their own numbers and they don't mean much.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GBarker123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2013 at 10:44pm
Thanks for the replies; I'll give Jim Harris a call. I downloaded the Interceptor manual from CCF long ago, but it doesn't really help me much except to confirm that this is probably a C model transmission since mine looks just like the one in the picture. I see no mention of the starter, bell housing, or separator plate, and even if they showed them, I still wouldn't know how to go about specifying what parts I'm looking for. Do they have to be from a 1964 260 RH? Were the same plate and starter used on other engine sizes or years? Would the plate be the same for a LH engine? How about the pump impeller?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2013 at 10:51pm
Y blocks forever
When you talk to John, make sure you tell him you have a reverse rotation.
The RWP impeller(s) are the same.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2013 at 11:00pm
Originally posted by GBarker123 GBarker123 wrote:

this is probably a C model transmission since mine looks just like the one in the picture.

They all looked the same on the outside. Bruce figured yours being a C model due to the year.
The first A model used engine oil from the oil pump to actuate the clutch plates. That wasn't enough so they piggybacked another oil pump onto the engine oil pump. That wasn't the greatest as well so a model C was developed. It uses it's own hydraulic pump inside the trans.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
65 'cuda View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 65 'cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2013 at 11:06pm
Isn't the 260 a windsor block? The predecessor to the 289?
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2013 at 11:12pm
Gary, I was just going to ask the same. I dont think your dealing with a Y block. Its a 260 CI not 260 HP(wich would be a 390 :) How are the valve covers held down? I bet they bolt around the edges.

got pics?
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GBarker123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2013 at 11:23pm
The valve covers are held down by 6 bolts each. I have lots of pictures, but I can't figure out how to post them. It looks like I can "Insert Image" or "Image Upload". When I click "Insert Image", I get a little window that says "enter the web address of the image". I don't know what they want here. Do I do "Image Upload"? I tried this and it said that an image of this name had already been uploaded. Where do uploaded images end up?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GBarker123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2013 at 11:27pm
Yes, the valve covers are bolted around the edges. I just spoke with Jim Harris in Maine, and he seemed to think that Ford never made a 260 CI engine, that the "260 RH" stamped on the block means 260 HP. When I spoke with Art Cozier in August, he also thought that this was not a Y-block. See why I'm confused?
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2013 at 11:29pm
6 bolts is not a Y block. They have two center bolts.

Ford did make a 260CI V8 , I think what you have is the predecessor to the 289.

The 260hp is a 390CI Ford.
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2013 at 11:43pm
Look at the pictures in the manual, there are straight 6's, Y blocks, a 260 Windsor and Big block FE 352 to 390 Cu In. Don't get confused by the picture of the 260 which has a single side draft carb. The model C is distinctly different than the other Dearbo trannys as is bolts up to the bell housing the same as a velvet drive. The other Dearbos have a one piece tranny bell/housing unit.

Jim knows more about Fords than I ever will and if he told you that Ford never made a 260 then he is having a brain freeze. Call him Monday late morning. :)

Post some pictures and we'll be able to tell you what you have.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2013 at 11:55pm
My 66 Mustang came with a 260. It had a 65 block and 64 heads. It cracked in '98 in July, due to a casting flaw. I replaced it with a 302. (much cheaper) The 260, 289 and 302 share heads and intakes. The starter plate has to be for a 260 because the bellhousing has a smaller bolt pattern than the 289 and 302. Some very early 289's have the same pattern as the 260. They beefed it up with added power of the 289 and 302. A 260 plate may be hard to find. I replaced my ring gear with one from NAPA. While you're in there, I would look and the damper plate. Were there any spring parts in the bellhousing?
Tim D
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2013 at 11:57pm
My Interceptor

Tim D
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2013 at 12:15am
Also,   Interceptor 260ci.,   Some with, some with-out re-circulating pumps.
260 RH stamped on timing chain cover of those with-out. Meaning righthand rotation.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GBarker123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2013 at 12:20am
Tim-

How did you post those pictures? I can't figure out how to do it (see my post above). It sure would be nice to have the correct exhaust manifolds as in your picture. On my engine someone put a pair of PCM manifolds, probably because the originals rotted out...
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2013 at 12:26am
Y block... notice two center bolt valve covers.

64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2013 at 12:27am
Photobucket. It's a site where you can store pics and link them. As Doc mentioned, a friend of mine has a 66 American Skier, his 260 doesn't have a circ pump on the front, and his intake is lower than mine.
Tim D
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2013 at 12:32am
better pics of my 312 y block ....

64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2013 at 12:34am
A better pic of my Interceptor with roller rockers.

Tim D
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2013 at 12:40am
This is an early Windsor Interceptor without many mods.

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2013 at 1:18am
Here is some good reading info for you on different block plates.
Is this the plate you need?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2013 at 9:25am
Originally posted by GBarker123 GBarker123 wrote:

I have lots of pictures, but I can't figure out how to post them. It looks like I can "Insert Image" or "Image Upload". When I click "Insert Image", I get a little window that says "enter the web address of the image". I don't know what they want here. Do I do "Image Upload"? I tried this and it said that an image of this name had already been uploaded. Where do uploaded images end up?

Use the "post reply" and not the "quick reply" clicking on the icon of the tree with the up arrow will open a browse window allowing you to pick anything off your computer. It may need resizing to fit the Sites screen.

Many (I do) use a photo hosting site like photobucket. It's nice since you can set it to automatically size any picture you load into it. Then you simply copy the IMG code and paste it into your post.

Yes, I may be wrong (it sure wouldn't be the first time nor the last!!) on the Y block but I did go back into your previous posts when the Y block was discussed. Pictures will tell us. Is the distributor on the fore or aft end of the block?

If you care to, add your first name to your profile. Most here do use first names rather than screen names.   

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2013 at 11:48am
You migt try this site to determine exactly what is wrong. I suspect you don't have original bellhousing.

Sorry for incorrect link, but for some reason I can't get it to work today:

www.mustangtek.com/sidebyside/SmallblockFordflywheelsize.html
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2013 at 12:17pm
Thats was my first link Chris,I didn't check after I posted. I feel thats the key to his problem
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GBarker123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2013 at 1:53pm
OK guys I'm trying to post a few photos of the engine. We'll see if this works..

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2013 at 2:17pm
The distributor is on the front of the engine so it's not a Y block. On the front of the engine is the ID # just above the mechanical tach output. Post it and I know someone will have the code to break it down to the actual displacement.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2013 at 2:51pm
Kinda looks like a pig with lipstick... Lotta parts are Dearbo, but there is a lot of modern day stuff too. Manifolds are wrong, and the Dearbo "C" is waiting to replaced with a Borg Warner Velvet Drive,
I vote that the block is a 289/302 from the bolt pattern of the bell housing. The older 260 was not the same. Billy
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2013 at 5:28pm
What's the distance on the two top bolts on the bellhousing? On the block and the heads, if the casting number has C5 that's '65, D5 is '75 etc.
Tim D

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GBarker123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2013 at 8:51pm
OK. Today I removed the bell housing&transmission and the flywheel and made some measurements.

The distance between the top two bolts on the bell housing is 5 13/16 inches. The casting number on the block is C40E-6015C . The ID number on the front of the engine under the word INTERCEPTOR is GT1R421821. The ring gear has 160 teeth (I counted twice). The ID of the ring gear is 12.24 inches.

I checked out the link that one of you offered at mustangtek.com which claims that there are only two flywheel sizes: 157 teeth and 164 teeth. Mine has 160 teeth. It also gives dimensions for the positioning plate, which it says is either 16 27/32 inch or 17 5/16 inch from the first mounting bolt opposite side to the top starter bolt. On my plate the distance is 16 1/8" (not even close to either dimension). So I remain completely baffled. Photos below.

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic