Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

88 Barefoot Nautique Restoration

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
tbeard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 88 Barefoot Nautique Restoration
    Posted: January-15-2013 at 2:40am
We have been working on this BFN since November 18. Goal is to have it back on the water first of March. I just wanted to post some of the pics to show the progress. I will post more pics this weekend. We are at the point of reassembly. Floor is addressed, engine is rebuilt and installed, dash has been re Gel coated and all the sanding of the Gel is complete with the buffing being 60% done. The trailer has been cleaned up, primmed and painted and new bunks with LED lights.
Thanks.......Tom
tbeard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2013 at 3:04am
The 454 was in great shape except for the heads. Just a freshen up of the short block with new valves and springs in the heads.
Thanks.......Tom
delovett View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote delovett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2013 at 4:04am
Looking forward to seeing this thing come along!
1973 Nautique 351
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2013 at 10:58am
I still have to do all that. Looks great!
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2013 at 11:24am
You aren't fooling around!
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2013 at 5:18pm
looks like it's comin along
This is the life
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2013 at 6:04pm
Make sure you put your letters on the right sides.
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2013 at 9:42pm
Folks, if you don't know, Tom is a big "bird dogger" w/ his footin' and with his restoration. Both are very, very good. Those are old pics. Wait till he posts some new ones!
...those who have fallen and those who will.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2013 at 9:47pm
come on don't be holding back on us Tom
This is the life
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2013 at 9:56pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Make sure you put your letters on the right sides.

very funny.
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
tbeard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2013 at 10:59pm
Actually the letters have to go right back in the exact same place due to the old decal "ghost". We sanded the sides lightly with 600 wet, 800 normal wet sanding technique X 2, 1000 and then 1200. Buffed it 3 times pretty agressive with 3M heavy duty compound. Ghost are still there....with the right light you can even see the small checkered squares from the 88 style decal. Amazing what the sun can do! So I am ordering new ones from NautiqueParts. Thanks for the comments.
Thanks.......Tom
tbeard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2013 at 1:56am
I had to address the floor secondary stringers on both sides of the center panel. The 2 inch lip where the center panel fits had some rot. I cut out the floor until I saw dry wood. Using routers, table saw, and other wood working tools I designed and fabricated the replacement parts. I also ran 3/8 inch plywood as a facing over the old secondary stringer from the bulk head to the rear of the boat. Using the traditional epoxy, glass, foam and fairing techniques I have learned on here and materials from US Composits I spent a week putting it back together. I coated all the wood with 3 coats of the CPES. The paint is 2 part epoxy garage floor paint Rust )Oleum from HD. It turned out great
Thanks.......Tom
tbeard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2013 at 2:14am
The trailer was shot with 2 coats of Rust Oleum oil based primer and then 3 coats of Benjamin Moore Alkyd paint. They had a chip that matched my maroon stripe on the boat very well. (color sanded the frame rails after primer). Used automotive seam sealer to replace the bead on the tread plate and the main channel/rail. New bunk wood coated in the CPES and carpeted using spray adhesive and SS staples. Lastley we installed LED lights from Harbor freight:) Will do brakes and new wheels later...had to get boat back on trailer!
Thanks.......Tom
tbeard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2013 at 2:50am
The dash had cracks in front of the mirror (many small cracks). We sanded down to glass. Applied vynel ester from US composits (nasty stuff) Sanded and then shot with gel and duratec. It had lots of orange peel but it sanded and polished out. I do not have a final pic yet but will add one. One concern I had was having a noticeable step where the new gel meets the white on the sides .....but there was not much of a step at all. Very nice transition.
Thanks.......Tom
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2013 at 12:28pm
Tom, looks great. Very ambitious project and it looks like you're coming along nicely!

Starting to feel guilty since I haven't touched a boat in weeks.
tbeard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2013 at 12:53pm
Thanks Chris, Two things on this project were it had to be a low cost project and had to complete in time for ski season. I was off work for 2 1/2 weeks through the holidays so we accomplished alot. As far as the budget our labor is free, it is just the materials and I like to restore original parts if possible vs buying new so that helps.
Thanks.......Tom
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2013 at 1:33pm
I need to do that to my dash Tom. Mine turns back dull rather quickly after a Sand/Buff.
tbeard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2013 at 3:55am
The engine and drive train components were addressed also. The 454 was gone through, transmission was media blasted primed and painted along with the bolt on components. We also installed a new cutlas bearing and aligned the engine to the shaft per the .003 spec.
I have not been doing this project alone! My son and some great friends have pitched in to help me do the work....keeping me on track, providing advice and support for this project. It truley has been a team effort. The goal......get this work horse back to work pulling skiers.
Thanks.......Tom
MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2013 at 3:57pm
As far as I can tell, I'm not quite sure...
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2013 at 12:18pm
The 'Pumpkin's' are multiplying....Great work Tom. Git'r done and drag her to Fla for a River Run!    
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2013 at 1:41pm
That is going to be a beauty Tom! I like the contrast from silver to orange. Ive always liked the red valve covers on the later 5.8's for the contrasting colors.
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2013 at 10:46am
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2013 at 10:48am
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2013 at 2:24am
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2013 at 2:25am
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2013 at 2:27am
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2013 at 2:28am
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2013 at 2:31am
You may notice the "old" red carpet CC used around the exhaust. Tom elected to go with gray for the new carpet.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2013 at 6:33am
Heavy Chevy
This is the life
DrStevens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrStevens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2013 at 10:39am
Impressive work, always liked the teak steps on the 88 hulls.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
  Share Topic