Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1988 Ignition Switch Wiring Question

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
frogger88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1988 Ignition Switch Wiring Question
    Posted: January-15-2013 at 4:24pm
Hey guys,

I have an '88 whose ignition switch went bad on me. I bought a "universal" replacement (no box or wiring diagram), but it has 4 spades and a post in the middle... Any thoughts on what the proper wiring would be translated from my three post stock switch?

I can get the voltmeter and check for continuity tonight if needed. Looked it up online and it looks like it was probably for an I/O or something with a Magneto, can I just leave that disconnected etc...

Thanks!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2013 at 4:27pm
The original switch had:

Battery (B)... red wire
Ignition (I)... purple wire
Start (S)... most likely yellow/red wire

The new switch most likely has an additional terminal (A = accessory). It can be left blank. You can confirm this by seeing if the switch has an extra position (turn to the left). Feel free to wire up a stereo to this terminal in the future, so you can run it while the boat is off without having the ignition hot.
frogger88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2013 at 1:43pm
So what's the post in the middle for? It is threaded like a bolt with a nut on it?
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2013 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by frogger88 frogger88 wrote:

So what's the post in the middle for? It is threaded like a bolt with a nut on it?

Do you have a picture?

It could be just how it mounts in certain applications.

Or, you could just get an OEM style switch and take out the guesswork:
http://www.nautiqueparts.com/ignitionswitches.aspx
Florida Inboards View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Florida Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2013 at 2:16pm
http://www.usboatsupplies.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=COLM700&Category_Code=IgnitionSwitches&Store_Code=USBS&gclid=CMDCxYei7bQCFQ3nnAod2zEADA

Stay away from the cheap plastic switches and get a good Cole Hersee brass ignition switch. they do not strip threads as easily will tighten up and are original style (wow can't say I remember suggesting originality)units
Money Talks! BS Walks! and loose change rides the bus!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic