NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Flap Disks?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Flap Disks?
    Posted: January-18-2013 at 3:22pm
I'm starting to acquire tools and materials for my stringer replacment, there seems to be an abundance of types of flap disks on the market, and there is a pretty significant price difference.   Looks like they range from ~2.50 each to 7.50 each   is there a difference between the types? Do the cheaper ones work just as well as the more expensive ones?    How many should I expect to use?

Thanks!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2013 at 4:19pm
We used the cheapest and most aggressive we could find... which ended up being the 24-36-40 grit 4-packs that our local Harbor Freight stocked. I dont see them on their website... but I think they were a good bit cheaper than the ones theyre selling for $3.99/ea.

Those loaded up fast (especially when griding gel) and we went through a TON of them on the BFN. 50? Maybe more. We did remove every last bit of gel from the bilge and transom though, and had a lot of grinding to do in general. Id be curious to know if the more expensive ones worked better- maybe they last long enough to justify the higher pricetag?
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2013 at 6:22pm
I'll check with HF :)     Thanks Tim!
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2013 at 2:58pm
Have a scout around US eBay or tool suppliers as we have these new range of diamond wheels that are popping up.......I haven’t used them yet but will on my next fibreglass project, may work out cheaper than flapper disks as they sell between £8 to £15 over here for 115mm wheels.

Flush cut blade (1/8 thick)

Grinding Wheels
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2013 at 3:10pm
Wow, those look serious Roger! Almost a little scary... but Id like to try them. One nice thing about the flap discs is that they have a little bit of give to them, allowing you to finish off a surface (like the bilge) nicely. For bulk grinding, one of those hard diamond discs might save you a lot of blade changes though.
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2013 at 3:29pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Wow, those look serious Roger! Almost a little scary... but Id like to try them. One nice thing about the flap discs is that they have a little bit of give to them, allowing you to finish off a surface (like the bilge) nicely. For bulk grinding, one of those hard diamond discs might save you a lot of blade changes though.

They do look scary but there only small....the picture make them look like bad boys and I would agree that a combo of these and a few flapper disks would work well.

If there not available in the US I will bring some over in March for you to play with.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2013 at 3:40pm
Roger, any idea what theyre called? A quick search for a "diamond flap wheel" isnt yielding any results.

Looks like the 115mm would be equivalent to our 4.5". Whats the arbor size over there? (The standard is 7/8" so presumably 22-23mm?) It sure would be fun to play with one... just booked our tickets for March!
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2013 at 4:08pm
Tim have a look under this...but we do describe some things different here...

As it is on our eBay 115MM ANGLE GRINDER DIAMOND GRINDING CUP WHEEL MARBLE GRANITE CONCRETE
Yes your 4.5 is our 115mm with a 22.23mm hole (this one comes with a sleeve which can take it down to 20mm if needed.

Diamond Grinding wheel

Yes I'm booked too...wish me luck I have got to do Disney before I get to SJRR
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2013 at 4:22pm
Looks like "diamond cup grinding wheel" is a common term... theyre not cheap here yet, but some can be found at Home Depot:

$75 Bosche

Good luck surviving Disney!
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2013 at 11:03pm
Might have to check those out too... Fed ex delivered my new grinder, diamond cut off wheel and sander on saturday, now I just have to find some time to start cutting.
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2013 at 6:26am
I used a more expensive 36 grit from HD and they lasted a good while.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2013 at 8:03am
I'm ready to help, Kris!!! Let me know when you plan to start digging in.
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2013 at 10:33am
I used these from home depot

They were quite aggressive, 16 grit and lasted a long time.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2013 at 12:20pm
Dave, those look interesting- how expensive? What were you using them on that allowed them to last long? The gel in the bilge can be over 1/8" thick so it just eats the cheap flap discs (its a big area). Would love to find something equally effective that lasts longer.
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2013 at 1:36pm
I thought you guy would have a better choice.....you can choose how many segments also look in there shop other ones too.

Diamond cup wheels
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2013 at 11:41pm

Dave, those look interesting- how expensive? What were you using them on that allowed them to last long? The gel in the bilge can be over 1/8" thick so it just eats the cheap flap discs (its a big area). Would love to find something equally effective that lasts longer.

Tim, I used them when repairing a significant hull de-lamination. I started with 32 grit disks and they wore out and clogged very quickly. these held up much longer. They have the angled layers making them somewhat self replenishing, and it is just plain harder to clog 16 grit than 32. I don't remember the cost off hand but I am always on a budget with the boat, so they must not have been to bad. I will try to look the next time I make it to depot.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2013 at 12:27am
The nice thing about the diamond wheels is since the height is fixed you can use a dust shield that hooks to a shop vac. That alone might be worth some extra $$. Looks like there are some at somewhat reasonable prices on Amazon.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2013 at 11:11am
Originally posted by OverMyHead OverMyHead wrote:

I used these from home depot

They were quite aggressive, 16 grit and lasted a long time.

I still have one or two of those...want 'em? I didn't like those but did try them.

The better flapper disks with sandpaper tend to clear themselves or at least the better ones do. I still have a few I'm using in the shop for shaping cellulose. I was scared to call it the common term.   
1988 BFN-sold

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2013 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by OverMyHead OverMyHead wrote:

Tim, I used them when repairing a significant hull de-lamination.

Right... but what were you grinding on specifically? Gel (if so, how thick?), laminated glass? How big of an area did you have to cover? The only thing I dont love about the cheap flap discs is how long they last. This only comes into play when doing, say, the entire bilge+transom.
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2013 at 3:10pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

I still have one or two of those...want 'em? I didn't like those but did try them.    

Buffalo -   not sure who your offering these to, but I'd be interested.   LMK if I can pay for the postage.

Originally posted by kroundy kroundy wrote:

I'm ready to help, Kris!!! Let me know when you plan to start digging in.

will do Kevin,    I'm still collecting supplies, but will let you know soon. I thought I might try to pull the trailer out this weekend so I can get the boat all supported, but will have to play it all by ear.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2013 at 9:35am
Originally posted by Dreaming Dreaming wrote:

Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

Buffalo -   not sure who your offering these to, but I'd be interested.   LMK if I can pay for the postage.

I saw a few of those last night; brand new even. Shows what i thought of them, but they do cut. Send me your addy by pm and I'll look for a box. Send the postage to Keith.

1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2013 at 11:57am
I may have been unfair in my above post; was anyone else interested? How about anyone who wants one, send me a little box? I think I saw 4 new ones.
1988 BFN-sold

Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2013 at 4:16pm
That's a kind offer.... I will send postage to Keith.   Might be best to post via US mail in the flat rate envelope?   I'll send you a PM
Kris
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2013 at 10:03pm
en route

1988 BFN-sold

uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2013 at 9:35am
Have given the diamond grind wheel a quick test on some old SN stringer gel/glass....takes the gel off OK which was ranging from 1/16 to 1/8 thick, would say not as fast as a fresh 40 grit flap disk but the diamond shows no sign of clogging up, as you can see it will won't to get away from you.... the flush cut saw blade works well too and gives the option to have the blade flat on the hull when cutting out old.
Both fit straight on my 4'1/2 grinder with no problems.
gel grinding

Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2013 at 1:13pm
I forgot to mention that you can use with water too which will keep the dust down ......but just need to be careful when using electric grinders and you will still get glass/gel splatter over you.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic