Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

OJ Prop puller

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
must_dash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote must_dash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: OJ Prop puller
    Posted: February-05-2013 at 5:12pm
Has anybody had problems with OJ prop pullers? Got mine yesterday on a convoluted path from Skidim via aircrew to UK then to Italy and it broke on the first go. Had the shaft out of the boat and in some old hose in a bench vice. I'd like to think I was strong but this was with a 10" and no help.

Looks like poor casting.

And the prop is still on the shaft.
1986 Martinique - sold

When we ask for advice, we are usually looking for an accomplice.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2013 at 5:14pm
And you know what a good casting fracture surface should look like?
must_dash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote must_dash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2013 at 5:40pm
In a previous life I had an idea. Also there was no bending, only cracking open.
1986 Martinique - sold

When we ask for advice, we are usually looking for an accomplice.
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2013 at 6:10pm
That sucks, if it helps I made a very crude version of Petes DIY puller - 2 square steel plates, one with U-cut out to slot behind the prop on the shaft and 3 sections of stud iron, each with nuts on either side.
Cost me nothing and should last
'82 Ski Tique
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2013 at 7:04pm
Cast products don't usually bend, they just fracture and/or break like yours. Poor material design IMO. Should be forged steel instead, but that is more expensive. Hard to tell if it was a bad casting unless you do a metallurgical test. You'll never be able to tell by eyeballing it unless there are open air pockets in it.
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
cphase View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cphase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2013 at 7:12pm
Sorry to hear it broke. I just received one and had no problems getting my prop off.
Thanks,

Jeff
82 SN
Arch Linux
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2013 at 7:16pm
Your really not going to give us an expert opinion HW?? Shouldn't a guy with a name like Hollywood be a Casting expert??
cphase View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cphase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2013 at 7:23pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Your really not going to give us an expert opinion HW?? Shouldn't a guy with a name like Hollywood be a Casting expert??

Maybe casting COUCH!
Thanks,

Jeff
82 SN
Arch Linux
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic