Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

FOAM REPLACEMENT

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
DRIFTWOOD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DRIFTWOOD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FOAM REPLACEMENT
    Posted: February-14-2013 at 12:22am
I have removed the fiberglass floor of my '82 Natique to replace the stringers. The problem I now have is how to and what to use to replace the foam floatation. The closed cell two part foam sets up to fast and would either under or over fill the space. The floor needs the support of the foam. Any recommendations for what product to use and how to fill the closed compartment under the floor??
JEFF MARKS
DRIFTWOOD MARINE
HENDERSONVILLE, NC 28792
828-685-1313
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2013 at 8:19am
Jeff,
If you can't handle the two part pour foam, this is an option. I have used it for both filling open cavities but prefer to inject it into closed cavities.

How about some pictures of you stringer job?

I take it Driftwood Marine doesn't do many stringer jobs or hull repairs???

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
DRIFTWOOD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DRIFTWOOD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2013 at 12:02pm
Not my first job. In the past have used pour foam, and repaced with wooden floor after trimmming the foam. Have never tried filling a closed cavity as in the natique where the floor is supported by the foam. Voids would cause a weak floor. Overfilling would bulge or lift the floor.
JEFF MARKS
DRIFTWOOD MARINE
HENDERSONVILLE, NC 28792
828-685-1313
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2013 at 12:18pm
The way Correct Craft built the boat, and the way most here proceed (when doing a factory style rebuild) is to fill the open cavity with foam, trim flush, then glass over. The glass should connect the hull walls to the floor to the stringers. Hopefully you are not considering reusing the original fiberglass floor over new foam? I dont understand why you are calling it a "closed cavity".
DRIFTWOOD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DRIFTWOOD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2013 at 4:14pm
Thanks! Yes I was planning on reusing the old floor. Fiberglassing it in and then fill under it. That would have created a closed cavity to fill. I had assumed that CC had built the floor, installed it as one piece and then filled the space under it.
JEFF MARKS
DRIFTWOOD MARINE
HENDERSONVILLE, NC 28792
828-685-1313
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2013 at 4:50pm
Not how CC did it but that is how hasbeenskier did his boats.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2013 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Not how CC did it but that is how hasbeenskier did his boats.

Apples and oranges. When injecting foam like Pete suggests (like BJ does), it usually involves using a sturdy floor material that doesnt rely on the underlying foam for support. I would say that the foam is primarily there for floatation in such a build.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2013 at 5:27pm
Pudding and bananas.

Clearly different, if he looked through his threads he'd see that. "More like a briar patch"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic