Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Prop/rudder clearance

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Waternut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waternut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prop/rudder clearance
    Posted: March-22-2013 at 3:58pm
Not sure if this measurement is even of concern but thought I'd ask. How much clearance are you supposed to have between the rudder and prop? I remember it being close but when hooking everything back up, it seems really close. I didn't measure it yet but looks like 0.090" or 0.120" between the tip of the blade at the top and the leading edge of the rudder. It just looks too close and the prop is as tight as it'll go.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2013 at 4:07pm
.12 inch seems very tight. One of your parts must not be original.

How much clearance do you have between prop hub & strut? That should be about 3/4 inch.

I would start there.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2013 at 9:31pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

.12 inch seems very tight. One of your parts must not be original.

How much clearance do you have between prop hub & strut? That should be about 3/4 inch.

I would start there.

I agree that something's wrong. Yes, how much do you have between the prop and strut?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Waternut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waternut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2013 at 9:58pm
Ok I have about 0.080"-0.090" between the prop and rudder and 0.535" between the prop and strut. I know I don't have a CC but figured basic clearances would at least be somewhat similar. All the parts are the same from last year to this year. I pulled the engine and shaft this winter and when I reinstalled it, I needed to lower the engine considerably to get everything lined up.

I bolted the engine back to the same holes and didn't remove the rudder or strut. I did remove the coupler from the driveshaft though but thought I put it back where it came from.
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2013 at 10:11pm
Did you take any pics before you started this?
This is the life
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2013 at 10:37pm
Is it the same prop as before?

Ben Franklin
Waternut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waternut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2013 at 11:09pm
Same prop. I did take pictures before but nothing that's really useful in this case. The only picture that I have that's close is an angled picture of my old prop but the rudder is cocked a little. The prop to strut looks normal in that picture and the prop looks kind of close but there's no way to tell how close it is/would be if everything lined up perfectly.

The problem is the prop and rudder have to be perfectly lined up or it could like 2-3 inches of clearances.
Waternut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waternut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2013 at 11:48pm
Hmmm actually I found this night time shot of when I was trying to explain the wakeplate I installed. I don't think the prop blade is straight up and down but it looks very close even in this picture.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2013 at 12:10am
Well, you don't have many options to fix it easily, so I would run it & watch out for any adverse handling problems.

Ben Franklin
Waternut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waternut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2013 at 1:01am
Hmmmm alright. I guess the only real fixes are swap/modify the driveshaft, modify the prop hub, or modify the rudder.

The prop blades would at least bend slightly forward while under power right?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic