NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fuel tank grounding

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Dan in CT View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan in CT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fuel tank grounding
    Posted: April-20-2013 at 8:57pm
Quick question. I have an 81 SN, in the process of replacing all the fuel lines. Finished this afternoon, where is the fuel tank typically grounded. I have an AL tank with a tab. Thanks, Dan.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2013 at 9:07pm
Dan,
the ground goes to the engine block. You should have a common ground back there anyway for the fuel fill ans aft nav light.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Dan in CT View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan in CT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2013 at 11:17pm
Thanks, wasn't sure if it should go back to block on a single ground or if I could tie it into the other grounds. Dan
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2013 at 11:58am
The metallic deck fill fitting will also require grounding. Its OK to daisy chain it.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2013 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by baitkiller baitkiller wrote:

The metallic deck fill fitting will also require grounding. Its OK to daisy chain it.

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Dan,
a common ground back there anyway for the fuel fill

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2013 at 12:57pm
Right or wrong, none of the cc's I've taken apart have had grounds run to the tank or filler.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2013 at 1:10pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Right or wrong, none of the cc's I've taken apart have had grounds run to the tank or filler.

If no ground to the tank, then the fuel gauge won't work!!!

Tim,
Regarding the fill, you had better check up on the USCG regs!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2013 at 1:37pm
The sender ground should not be used nor construed as a tank ground. They are two different animals. A close look at late model senders will reveal that they are designed to be electrically isolated via plastic washers on the screws.

I typically don't get worked up over ski boats and the ABYC standards, just the CFRs, of which this is one. Hard fuel pressure lines is the other. Most of these boats dont have battery disconnect switches or fuses on the float switch. I dont really care.

Shall we have a discussion on friction discharge,(static is a wrong word and i dont want the Professor getting angry.) portable gas cans, trailers and boat lifts? I have spent three occasions in the burn ward interviewing boat owners. Please ground the fills.

To take it a step further, My center console has a jumper from the deck fill to the breast cleat. I always touch the can or gas station dispenser to the cleat first to balance the two before removing the fill cap. This jumper went on after one of visits to the burn ward.

The Nautique didn't have anywhere handy to do the same.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2013 at 1:56pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

If no ground to the tank, then the fuel gauge won't work!!!

Tim,
Regarding the fill, you had better check up on the USCG regs!!

Don't take up the issue with me Pete, cc is the one who didn't run the extra ground wire! All the boats I'm talking about hadn't been apart before.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2013 at 2:49pm
Tim,
I understood what CC didn't do. They should have bonded the fill to the breast cleat.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2013 at 3:10pm
You got it Pete, nothing slips past you guys..

Some day I am gonna figure out why I keep coming back for more.
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2013 at 10:11pm
My '85 and '95 both had grounds on the filler and tanks. Don't know if it was stock or not but they were there when I took them apart.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2013 at 10:49pm
Originally posted by baitkiller baitkiller wrote:

You got it Pete, nothing slips past you guys..

Some day I am gonna figure out why I keep coming back for more.

Everything should be bonded to the ground/block. If the the block is a good ground source is a big ?? I've never meggered out a block to ground (water)!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2013 at 8:06pm
When we talk about ground to the block, and ultimately to the negative terminal of the battery...

is that the same thing as

Ground used for discharge of static energy?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2013 at 7:48am
Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

When we talk about ground to the block, and ultimately to the negative terminal of the battery...

is that the same thing as

Ground used for discharge of static energy?

Yes, the intent is to dissipate any static to the water/ground. Some wood boat manufacturers would even bond the rudder port, log and strut to the block. The idea is the same as setting your fuel containers on the ground when filling them at the gas station. Yes, even plastic fuel containers!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic