Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Engine Mods

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
TiminMem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TiminMem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine Mods
    Posted: May-02-2013 at 6:28pm
I have searched the forum for this info so don't flame me please. I have a 93 Sport Nautique with the GT40 motor. I want to upgrade the rockers to full roller 1.7 to 1 rockers and put on a better intake manifold. I have three questions.

1) What rockers will fit under the PCM valve covers and are reasonably priced?

2) It appears I have from 3 to 4 inches (rough guess) clearance under the engine cover. Is anyone familiar enough to tell me whether I can fit a Performer RPM manifold under it? Suggestions for other manifolds would be appreciated.

3) Also I have a DUI distributor coming because the stock distributor only had 12 degrees of advance (and the hole shot would still pull your arms off) - will the DUI interfere with the after market manifold?

Thank you ahead of time.
93 Sport Nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2013 at 7:01pm
The GT40 is a multiport EFI engine and was introduced in 1995, so you obviously don't have one of those. I assume you mean that you have a carbureted HO 351w (aka "pro boss") which has gt40 heads. That makes modifications simpler.

I don't think you'll have 4" of clearance under your motorbox- check it with some wood and clay. 2" or so is probably closer. An rpm or stealth manifold will be ~2.5" taller than stock and will usually require a shorter flame arrest or and/or elimination of the 1" carb spacer to clear.

You most likely have a LH engine and a 1.23 trans, so I would highly recommend going with a new cam rather than 1.7rr's. Tons of options for lefties, the best ones being roller cams. Crane gold and FMS rockers will *most likely* fit under stock valve covers though.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2013 at 7:31pm
Originally posted by TiminMem TiminMem wrote:

1) What rockers will fit under the PCM valve covers and are reasonably priced?

IMO reasonably priced is not a good idea on valve train components. Something like Harland Sharp or Ford Motorsport would be good.I don't trust the cheaper ones,why are they so much cheaper?
Tim's idea of just changing the cam would,in your case be a better idea.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
TiminMem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TiminMem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2013 at 8:31pm
Thanks for the clarification on the engine type.

The front pulley on my engine rotates ccw. I was told that is standard and simplifies parts.

Can the RPM fit with a different spark arrestor?

Can you even eliminate the spacer? Where does the pcv go?

I know the cam would be much better but won't the rockers give me anything if not just from friction losses? Are these too cheap?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/crn-44746-16/overview/make/ford

If I was to go with a cam/intake combo which works in our application?

Also unfortunately I have a 1:1 transmission. I really can't comprehend that the 1.23:1 is that much better but it obviously is. I can only get about 22 degrees total advance (initial plus advance) out of my distributor, and with the 1:1, it will pull your arms out of your shoulders if you could hold on.
93 Sport Nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2013 at 8:52pm
The 1.23 holds a pretty significant holeshot advantage over the 1:1, top end is about the same. Since you have a 1:1, you have a RH (reverse rotation) engine, which limits your cam choices. There seem to be limitations on the crop of blanks currently available, which makes going to 1.7 rockers a serious consideration in place of a cam upgrade.

I would not go with cheap rockers. I didnt copy and paste your link, but assume that if you had to ask, then the answer is yes. Joe had good things to say about Scorpion, which is one of the lower cost brands, but I have only dealt with Crane (gold) rockers, and FMS (which are rebadged Crane golds). Those arent particularly cheap to buy brand new.

I was able to fit a Stealth under my '90 motorbox by going to a shorter (2" is the shortest you can fit over the j-tubes) arrestor. Your Sport is probably the same- it is very tight. Arrestors can be hard to find though- so if you end up eliminating the spacer, you can plumb the PCV into the baseplate of a newer Holley, or into one of the runners on the intake manifold (though I dont particularly care for the latter option).
TiminMem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TiminMem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2013 at 8:56pm
This engine rotation thing is very confusing. There is conflicting information all over the place. However Performance Distributors said if I was facing the front of the engine standard rotation would be counterclockwise. Is there a definitive guide you can direct me to. I have to change my distributor order if it is reverse rotation.

BTW those were crane rockers in the link - not their gold but the energizer. I figured at out RPMs it wouldn't matter.
93 Sport Nautique
TiminMem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TiminMem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2013 at 9:04pm
And the firing order is 1-8-4-5-6-2-7-3 and model number is PRP-PT-R10 (All those R's are giving me a sinking feeling) if that helps. Oh well my distributor just went up 75 dollars!
93 Sport Nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2013 at 9:04pm
If youre sure that you have a 1:1 transmission, then Im sure you have a reverse rotation engine. The information that Performance Distributors gave you regarding engine rotation is back-asswards.

With VERY few exceptions, direct drive CC's turn RH props. This requires a LH engine + 1.23 trans combo (since the 1.23 reverses the engine direction) OR a RH engine + 1:1. Pulleys spinning counter clockwise as viewed from the front = reverse (RH) rotation. I promise.

I have no experience with the lesser Cranes. My research has indicated to go Gold, or go home... but its your boat!

Edit, another clue for RH rotation.

RH = 18456273
LH = 13726548
TiminMem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TiminMem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2013 at 9:10pm
Just edited my post - thanks I will call performance distributor and get pinged for the 75 more dollars! I'll look up the golds! Thanks btw your screen name comes up everywhere.
93 Sport Nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2013 at 9:13pm
PRP...

R = RH

(In case it wasnt clear by now)
TiminMem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TiminMem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2013 at 9:14pm
Crystal! Thanks for the help.
93 Sport Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2013 at 9:30pm
Originally posted by TiminMem TiminMem wrote:

However Performance Distributors said if I was facing the front of the engine standard rotation would be counterclockwise.

I sure would be shopping elsewhere and not with some company that doesn't even know their engine rotation!!   

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2013 at 3:56pm
Performance distributors knows ignition stuff pretty well, but I wouldn't expect them to be marine experts. Theyre the distributor manufacturer and not a huge retailer. Rotation convention automotive vs marine is backwards, so it's not surprising they goofed. I would always check CCF first with this sort of thing.
TiminMem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TiminMem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2013 at 5:27pm
TRBenj - does anyone make roller cams for the reverse engine?
93 Sport Nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2013 at 6:16pm
The RH roller blanks never existed, but can be custom made by a few different specialty cam houses (LSM Engineering in MI is one of them). The downside, of course, is that theyre not cheap. We had one made for our BFN and it was definitely worth it though.
TiminMem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TiminMem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2013 at 6:18pm
Lunati will custom make them for around 1K!
93 Sport Nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2013 at 6:52pm
$750 from LSM is what Ive been quoted. Dont forget to factor in $400-500 for tie bar roller lifters, and maybe $200 for new springs. About a $1500 upgrade, all said and done.
TiminMem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TiminMem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2013 at 6:58pm
OUCH - thanks for the info.
93 Sport Nautique
TiminMem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TiminMem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2013 at 7:01pm
Final question Tim - the springs don't stack up with the 1.7s do they? Please say they are fine!
93 Sport Nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2013 at 7:03pm
Which springs? Stock springs, stock cam and 1.7's should be fine.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic