Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

hull blisters

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
silver#24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver#24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: hull blisters
    Posted: May-06-2013 at 7:42pm
i just purchased an 86 silver nautique and am having a boat shop rebuild for me. it has a few hull blisters and the shop wants to fill the couple that are visible on the side of the hull and open any new ones on the bottom hull and paint with bottom paint up to the water line. what say you?
mark c View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2013 at 7:47pm
Fill with hull coloer gelcoat. No bottom paint ever.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2013 at 9:03pm
NO BOTTOM PAINT!!! You must have taken the boat to a real back yard hack shop!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
silver#24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver#24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2013 at 9:31pm
Ok no bottom paint. I was not fond of the idea myself. Mark when you mention gelcoat do you have a particular product in mind? I have watched a few YouTube videos on blisters and came away depressed. I am not ready to strip the hull, however I have not seen the hull cleaned yet. I am hoping not to see too many. Have any of you experienced this.
mark c View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2013 at 9:58pm
I have a gallon of colored gel coat to match my hull(hopefully)that I bought to fix some bow rash. I only needed maybe a quart but it only comes in gallon containers. Maybe this weekend I will mix up a small batch and try to fill my blisters that I opened up (accidentally with my power washer) with the gel. Haven't figured out exactly how yet, maybe a syringe without a needle to push it in, then hope it stays inplace long enough to set and then sand it down smooth once it sets up completely. I'll take pictures before and after.
ST79 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ST79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2013 at 10:32pm
You need to open the blisters up and let them dry they say you need desert heat for a couple of days but a heat lamp will work. Then you need to fill with a epoxy let dry and then gelcoat
mark c View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2013 at 10:35pm
Gel won't stick to epoxy, without a poly primer. The old boats like mine (87) used polyester resins in the glass, and polyester based Gelcoats. Maybe later in production CC changed over to epoxy.
ST79 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ST79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2013 at 10:56pm
I know from my bigger boat that the blisters are going have to be opened up and let dry and treated with something or they will come back gelcoat want keep the blisters from coming back. Normally blisters come from the boat sitting in the water for prolonged times
mark c View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2013 at 11:29pm
In my case the blisters on my boat are just 1/16" to 3/16" pockmarks where the gel literally popped off the fiberglass laminate below it. In some cases they don't actually go all the way to the laminate. I assume they are caused by one of the POs keeping it in the water most of the summer. The side that I think was facing the sun (just by looking at the condition of the two sides in general) has more than the side that was in the shade.
mark c View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2013 at 11:35pm
Can you thicken gel coat, like resin with microballons, or something similar, without affecting its final polishing to get it to fill the chips without running?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2013 at 11:48pm
Mark with those small sizes your talking about it should cling with out filling. It will sit there much like a water drip will sit,even better because it's thicker than water.If it gives you too much trouble put a piece of masking tape over it
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
mark c View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2013 at 11:53pm
Well we'll see what kind of a mess I can make this weekend filling holes, as long as the weather cooperates. We'll also see how well I matched the gel using a stock color. I'm trying the V100 chip, its a lot closer in real life than in the picture.

Jadewin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jadewin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2013 at 9:20am

Dies ist, was ich interessiert bin in.Welcome mir contace.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2013 at 1:23pm
Just to keep people up on colr matching, the V100 from fibreglast is still to light to match the Taffy ivory, as is the X122 just below it on the same card (half of it is visible to the left of V100 in the image above). The X122 is closer, and actually looks good until you sand it down and buff it out, and then it becomes noticable. Probably good enough for areas on the bottom of the hull but its noticable on the deck. Now I'm trying to darken it up with a little bit of brown tint, my first attempt of adding one tiny drop of brown to 4 Oz of X122 was close, but still not good enough for me.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic