Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

PCM pro-tec EFI problem

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
F1Racing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F1Racing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PCM pro-tec EFI problem
    Posted: May-13-2013 at 5:33pm
I initially listed my question in the maintenance section.

I have a 1995 Nautique with a Ford PCM pro-boss pro-tec EFI engine. The ignition module is bad and nobody makes this part.

I am going to have to convert to a carburetor and was wondering if there would be much of a power loss?

Any advice appreciated. Thanks.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2013 at 7:11pm
Unfortunately the carb and ingnition retrofit is the only way to fix those protec engines!
others have done the retrofit and had no complaints.
Anyway its the only solution so I rather loose a couple of hp in the convertion than having a non runing boat!

<a href="">1992 ski nautique
F1Racing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F1Racing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2013 at 3:18pm
Thanks for your reply.

Going to have the conversion done as I need to get the boat in the water. Summers are short here in Upstate New York.
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2013 at 5:38pm
I really don't think you'll lose any HP. A well tuned carb can run as well and sometimes better than EFI so I don't understand why you're concerned about it. Especially if you plan on using the boat at the same altitude all the time. There have been several discussions about that on here before and of course there are those on both sides of the fence so I won't get into that aspect of it now.

As Kap stated many here have done the conversion already and I don't know of anybody who regretted it. I do know in several cases guys reported increased performance over the EFI but to be fair, that was Seat-of-the-pants feel and not really true documented before and after numbers. It could very well be that the performance was degrading over time as the EFI was on it's way out and the conversion brought it back to where it should be explaining the seat-of-the-pants increased performance.

Personally, I'll take a well tuned carb, intake and dizzy any day. That's purely my own personal opinion though.

Keep us updated on how everything turns out.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2013 at 5:57pm
Originally posted by F1Racing F1Racing wrote:

Thanks for your reply.

Going to have the conversion done as I need to get the boat in the water. Summers are short here in Upstate New York.

Where are you in upstate NY? If you are close to auburn you might want to shoot me an email to jhf6659 at yahoo dot com both about this repair and you know general neighborlyness.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
E4ODnut View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E4ODnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2013 at 8:01pm
If you do the conversion, and if your EFI stuff is for sale, I'd be interested in buying it. I'd like to try reverse engineer what PCM did.
Robert
1993 Bayliner 3288 "Hocus Pocus"
351 Fords, converted to tuned port programmable EFI
Foot_Fungus View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foot_Fungus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2013 at 10:57pm
like i posted on the other thread I had to retro back to a carb on mine. No loss of power. Cold starts are a little picky sometimes, but otherwise no negatives. I'm of the opinion its easier to tune and modify going back to a carb. That EFI setup was kinda hokey to start with. Let me know if you need info on the actual swap its fairly straight forward. I am still running the protec dizzy, namely b/c it was working fine and I opted to upgrade my heads instead.
'94SN Restoration underway...
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2013 at 2:47am
So you took off the throttle body and left the ignition? I liked mine when it was working, but once the power started spiraling downward it had to go. I think I was fortunate that it never kept me from using the boat or left me stranded.
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2013 at 10:22am
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

neighborlyness.

Neighborlyness....LOL....Is that a word?
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2013 at 10:48am
It has a word like quality to it anyway..

A guy could do worse than to have a neighbor who has piles of used nautique parts that he likes to give away and is willing to work or at least supervise for beer…
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Florida Inboards View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Florida Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2013 at 12:48pm
I still have the GT-40 Pull off System! cheaper then a carb/distributor conversion. 300-m ECU and all.
Don't loose Horse power! Gain horse power!
Money Talks! BS Walks! and loose change rides the bus!!!
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foot_Fungus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2013 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by TX Foilhead TX Foilhead wrote:

So you took off the throttle body and left the ignition? I liked mine when it was working, but once the power started spiraling downward it had to go. I think I was fortunate that it never kept me from using the boat or left me stranded.

The PO had it converted back to carb just before I bought it due to multiple issues with fuel delivery and idling. Which was perfect since the new 4160s have the built in pcv port allowing me to remove the spacer and have enough room to fit the taller intake manny. The ignition side is still functioning perfectly, knock on wood. So at this point it was a choice between replacing a functional dizzy setup OR use my "honey money" to get the gt40p heads and RPM intake upgraded. This way next year when the dizzy lets go I'm asking my wife to fix a broken boat not upgrade a perfectly fine boat.

IMHO the fuel injection(when working) was more for effeciency(slightly better gph) and convenience(easier/consistent starts) rather than an hp adder. I've yet to find a verifiable source that will say the FI(protec specifically) system on its own added hp. Even CC literature can't get it right as I've seen their documentation publish 3 different hp values.

In regards to Inboards post... its a very expensive swap to remove the protec parts. The carb swap will run you around $600 and then dizzy swap is another $500. Hence, why most people try to find spare parts or swap in a gt-40 kit if they can find them used and cheap. I haven't heard any complaints from going to the gt-40 FI from protec other than some issues with wiring. Its a much more 'proper' FI system then the protec ever was.

The drawbacks being the carb setup is MUCH easier to diagnose and fix when something goes wrong. Not to mention a little easier to modify for addition performance.
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2013 at 3:05pm
Good thinking if yours goes out like mine.    Have you gotten zany GPS numbers yet? I'm hoping to fire mine up in the water for the first time Monday evening and if everything seems in order see if I can't get well on my way to needing the next tank of gas.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foot_Fungus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2013 at 10:31pm
it should be back from the upholstery shop in 2 weeks and I'll gps it then. Only had it out for 2 test runs since rebuild/upgrade and didn't run it wot... only up to 35ish...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic