NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

wooden boat kits

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: wooden boat kits
    Posted: May-13-2013 at 7:11pm
I got a phone call from my older brother this morning. He wanted to know how hard I thought it would be to find an old SN drivetrain. It seems he is interested in building his own wooden boat. A couple of years ago I built a Factory Five roadster Cobra replica, so I figure his wheels have been churning ever since.

For back ground, we are both quite mechanically inclined. I like cars, engines, welding and metal stuff. He has always been very wood oriented. Builds beautiful furniture, dashboards, etc.

I looked at some plans online that he was considering and they look really neat. I could never do it, but I am certain he can.

Has anyone here ever built one or have any advice about them? Forums? Just thought I would ask some of the experts! Summer is finally here and we have water in the lake! Thanks.

ernest
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2013 at 8:29pm
I've always wanted to build my own boat but it'd be a huge undertaking. After spending time in Reid's Shrimp Tique I think I'd want to go something that route as it's pretty basic and extremely functional. All about time and money.

I'd think finding the drivetrain would be easy. Build your own block, or buy Dr.CC's 302, add the trans and cooling and you're pretty much there.

Hopefully he makes it happen as I'd love to see the process.
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2013 at 9:27pm
Why not just do a restoration on an old wooded boat in need of a lot of repair? You basically, just use the old one as a pattern and you rebuild it from the frame up. Then if you loose interest when complete you may have a easier time reselling it then if it is a one off.

JMO,

Donald
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2013 at 10:27pm
The way you started out I assumed he had already seen the Glen-L website. Maybe not. That seems to be the go to place to go. Many choices for inboards, From cruisers to a cracker box which I have had my eye on for years. Lots of forums on that site on building their boats. It sounds like they offer lots of support and advice. You can get just plans which include patterns or you can get plans with frame kits. Another nice feature is they have all of the hardware, including conversion parts for engines, If you start with an auto engine. Plus they have all the fasteners and stuff you need to build the boat. Seems to be a good way to go if they have a plan that meets your needs.
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2013 at 5:29pm
Threadjack. Pics of the Cobra? What powerplant did you put in it? How did you like the Factory Five kit, and what made you decide on their's vs. others out there. Did you use a donor or buy the complete kit? I plan on building one of those some day, would love to hear more about your experience.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
Smithfamily View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2013 at 7:25pm
Ernie I too would like to see the Cobra!! I like Donald's suggestion for your Bro.
Js
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2013 at 12:14am
Thanks for the replies. My bro tells me he found an old CC, late 50's, that is complete, but it is rotten. I will let you know if he pulls the trigger on it.

As for the factory five cobra. After doing a good bit of research, it seemed F5 really had the complete package. Great frame, lots of builds, good support from F5 and online, and a history of racing the cars. The side by side bare frame comparison was a big selling point for me. I have heard a few horror stories about some other companies. I dont think I have spoken with anyone that was very dissapointed in F5.

My build is a non donor complete kit. Ford 351W (sound familiar!), tko 500 tranny,ford racing rear differential, independent rear suspension, coil overs with Koni shocks and springs. Wilwood pedal box and power steering. It dyno'd just under 400hp. Plenty of power. It took me about six months to complete. It really isnt hard. F5 gives you a very good kit and good support. FFCARS.com is a great forum. A lot like this one. Lots of good information and great people. I have no regrets going with F5. Superperformance has a great product, but you are buying a complete rolling chasis, and you just add the motor and tranny. I really wanted to do the whole build.

Here are a couple of pics right after I finished...I have changed a few things, like the bright yellow coil wire! But this is basically how it ended up.

ernest

C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2013 at 11:30am
That is awesome. Nice work! I too would probably go with the complete kit with IRS. I would like to drop in a FE big block, probably a 390. Love the vintage look of those goodyears.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2013 at 3:16pm
what do you figure it cost in parts non donor and what it would have cost with say a 5.0 donor car in parts
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2013 at 8:26pm
Donor/non donor debate always a hot topic on the forums. Imo it comes down to cost of the donor car and how much of it that you want to use. Are you going to get a POS donor with 200K miles and stick those parts on your build, or are you going to completely rebuild all the parts then put them on? That takes time and costs money.

I started out looking at doing a donor build. but after calling a few junk yards, I quickly decided that it was going to be a real pain in the butt. The more I read the less I wanted to go the donor route. So, I went with the complete kit and all new stuff. No regrets and very few parts leftover, I sold most of the leftover stuff online.

Costs vary a lot with the quality of the build. Some paint them at home and some spend over 10K on paint. Some say they build donor cars for 20K...you may not want to ride in it though! I would guess most spend 30-40K on the build. Some much higher. That isnt counting many hours of labor! Factory five has a great website that lists exactly what you need/get in both the base kit and complete kit. HTH

ernest
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic