NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1974 Southwind

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
stang7tl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang7tl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1974 Southwind
    Posted: May-21-2013 at 10:17pm
I just got a 74 20ft southwind I traded my atv for. They owner was the original and has family marine business.
In 1996 they put a 350 EFI fresh water cooled in and put stringer and floor in. My question is does anyone have a pic of the bilge and floor structure? I think they made a change to it.
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2013 at 11:34pm
I've got a 74 Southwind (18) but no requested photos on hand, what makes you think they re-did the structure?

There's lotsa floor/stringer experience here on the site. Post some photos and more info.
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2013 at 2:48am
Did somebody say Southwind? Welcome to the club! They are great, versatile boats especially for bigger water. At this point, your floor structure is what it is. I wouldn't worry too much about it (as long as its safe, and after 17 years, I am guessing it is). Just go out and enjoy the boat. We would love to see some pictures of it.
stang7tl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang7tl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2013 at 1:47am

I believe its still on this forum in the for sale boats
ny_nautique View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2013 at 11:31am
Man that is a purty color scheme. Nice trade!
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2013 at 3:08pm
That sure looks off to me. Looks like the motor mounts are tied to a 2x4 that's tied to a sub floor, but I'm probably off base, I've never seen the stringer supports for a Southwind..
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2013 at 11:13pm
Originally posted by Mojo Mojo wrote:

That sure looks off to me. Looks like the motor mounts are tied to a 2x4 that's tied to a sub floor, but I'm probably off base, I've never seen the stringer supports for a Southwind..

Sharp eye Mojo. My 74's stringers were redone by PO (partially and I'm sure not perfectly) and my bro's 72 Swind is original (to my knowledge) and both look original (or at least close to). The 2x4 on this one is a funky look indeed and I mostly wonder how this jacked-up new-style engine fits in the doghouse, but i guess if it ain't broke don't fix it....although I would add a few comfort items, like side storage and rear seat..
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
stang7tl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang7tl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2013 at 11:42pm
I have built rear storage and topped it with full cushion to sit or lay on and built a front enclosure that holds a subwoofer radio and switch panel
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2013 at 1:04am
Great looking boat! Love that color with the white boot stripe. Very clean looking boat.
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2013 at 1:10am
Originally posted by stang7tl stang7tl wrote:

I have built rear storage and topped it with full cushion to sit or lay on and built a front enclosure that holds a subwoofer radio and switch panel

Sounds interesting, post some photos. My PO (previous owner) had just redone my interior. If you'd like additional photos or ideas let me know.
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2013 at 10:22am
I think your concerns about the changes they made to the floor/stringers are valid, especially in the area where the engine mounts. Part of the reason for the change may have been to fit in a Chevy where a Ford or Chrysler probably was originally.

My biggest concern would be the location of that 2x4 that the engine mounts attach to. If the stringers are in the original location, then that 2x4 is not situated over any structural member- rather a thin piece of fiberglass over a foam filled cavity between the main and secondary stringers.

Get some more pictures of the stringer/bilge area for us to look at.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2013 at 10:32am
Removing a mounting lag bolt & probing with wire will also tell what's under there.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2013 at 12:26am
TRBenj is far more knowledgeable than most of us, but conventional wisdom aside...

IMHO, if you traded an ATV for it, you obviously haven't got much $ in it. It might be a bit funky, but unless you wanna delve deep and potentially shut yourself down at the start of the season, I'm with DavidG...just run it unless it shows some serious issues that can't wait till fall.

Ran my 74 Southwind (original 351) first time of the season yesterday. 39 Years Young and has sat for almost 8 months. Fired right up, and ran like a champ all day long. Go Southwind!

1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
stang7tl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang7tl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2013 at 3:44pm
My atv was fully built worth about 4500 but never rode it, boat suit my need bit better LOL but I am going to run it as is besides add on for wakesurfing. Just never had a inboard
need to sell my O/I now that I am a officially a Correct Craft owner! YEAH!!!!
RedandWhite73 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedandWhite73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2013 at 5:49pm
Great looking boat and welcome to the club!

If it runs great, you should at least enjoy the rest of the summer before doing anything too crazy, because projects always take longer and cost more than you originally estimated.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic