Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wakesurf Nautique Excel?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
airden23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote airden23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wakesurf Nautique Excel?
    Posted: July-10-2013 at 8:40pm
Hi All - I am wondering if anyone here has been able to successfully wakesurf behind a Nautique Excel? If so, how was the boat weighted and can you provide any tips?

Over the 4th of July we tried really hard but were not very successful. I put one 750lb sack in the passenger rear compartment, another 750lb on the same side between the back bench and front bench (in the middle, parallel to the side of the boat), a 550lb on the back bench and had an 1,100lb bow sack almost filled.

I can't imagine that I don't have enough weight. We were not able to throw the rope back in and there was a large wash hitting our knees. We just couldn't get a clean wave. The wave seemed cleaner on the side without all of the weight.

Any help would be much appreciated!!!

ny_nautique View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2013 at 9:51pm
Wow that's scary. You put over 3000 lbs in a boat designed to carry 1300 - 1500 lbs of passengers, and purposely made it tip to one side.
I'm all for having fun and I think surfing behind a boat is freakin' cool, but this just sounds too damn dangerous the way you were doing it.

A lot of guys on the other forums are making surf plates that they are attaching to their transoms/platforms. Maybe try going that route?
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2013 at 9:54pm
That's just what they do, no push. The only thing that I've never heard anyone try is removing the platform to see if that what causes the issue. There's been Simone on PN working on a home made NSS, that might be a possibility too.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2013 at 10:06pm
Someone here tried to surf the 23' Fish and didn't have much luck. I just don't think the v-hulls are suited to surfing.
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2013 at 1:17am
What speed? Dumb as it may sound you may have too much weight, especially in the bow. When we surf the port side on my San the wake is very sensitive to weight placement, amount of weight and boat speed. Way more sensitive than on the starboard side. Leave the sacs empty and fill the boat with people. They are easier to move around in small increments. Play with the weight and speed to see what you can come up with and if you find something that works recreate it with sacs. Sometimes its more about the setup than the actual weight. Start with all of the weight(people) in the rear corner on the surf side . Try to build something that resembles a wave by adjusting speed (9-11 mph?). Then displace some of weight on the surf side foward slowly until you get something rideable. One thing I notice in my boat is that having the driver opposite the surf side makes a huge difference in what you need to do to get the wake dialed. The wake is so much better when all of the weight is on the same side. I have been known to drive from the bow walkway when surfers are portside. With the lanyard on my wrist of course.

Keep in mind that a half mile an hour can change the wave considerably and so can water depth. You need at least 8-10 feet of water to get a decent wave going.

Or perhaps as Tim stated, maybe that hull just doesn't work due to the design . I wouldn't give up on it just yet. Play around alittle. Just don't do it at 6 am when everyone is skiing the course

Mike
Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
airden23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airden23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2013 at 1:21pm
Thanks everyone! We were moving at about 10 mph. The part of the lake we were in was 40 feet deep, so I think the water is deep enough. I will try gathering up some people and moving them around to try and find the balance.

We typically only surf when the tubers are out and/or the water is choppy It is a good alternative to wakeboarding when the conditions are not ideal
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2013 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by ny_nautique ny_nautique wrote:

You put over 3000 lbs in a boat designed to carry 1300 - 1500 lbs of passengers,   

I'm wondering when the lake cop's are going to get on to this.
I'm guessing that when they start realizing people trying to create surf waves are overloading their boat that they will start pulling over a lot more wave makers.
ny_nautique View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2013 at 4:03pm
They are. In many states/locales they are cracking down on it. Surfing is outlawed on some lakes because of erosion issues. The etiquette thing notwithstanding (it has been covered ad nauseum here and at other forums), both the boaters and the police/enforcers need to be better educated.

Police think it's dangerous because of being so close to the propeller, which in an inboard they are not. But riders loading their boat up to way beyond capacity doesn't help. It isn't safe to them or the other boaters around. Capacity stickers aren't just random guesses. They are based on math and physics (with a factor of safety).

Hell, I was guilty of it myself 10+ years ago. I had a fat sack, side sacks, and 300lbs of lead bars in my Sport Nautique for years. I never knew or thought about the danger of the lead bars in my boat; I just knew I had the best wake on the lake. With all that weight it wasn't nearly as loaded as what people are trying to do today.

My wake back then:
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
KileyB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KileyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2013 at 3:07pm
I have a 92 Excel and have gone through the same problems. We've been in 80 ft of water running anything from 6 MPH to 12 MPH, moved people and sacs around to no avail. I've read forum after forum for the last three years hoping to find someone who figured it out. I suppose one of the surf plates might be our only hope.
'92 Excel
Tom351 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2013 at 3:28pm
Also, I think that having speed control installed on the boat is critical- because even if you do get a surfable wave it may only be at a narrow "window" of speed and these slow surfing speeds are not easy to maintain manually.
airden23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airden23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2013 at 3:40pm
Thanks for the information, guys. There aren't many of these boats out there, so its hard to find much. I have also searched site after site and not found very much.

Perhaps I will have to stick to skiing and boarding for now and find a friend with a better boat to surf.
Airfooter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2013 at 4:08pm
From what I've read, other Excel/BFN owners have had problems dialing in a surf wave. I myself have no intentions of surfing so I cannot comment. Another fellow Minnesotan, Mike (Wakeslayer), owned a BFN v-drive at one time and I've seen him comment over on PN that he could never get the wake dialed in. He has a lot of surfing experience so maybe he'll chime in...
1992 Nautique Excel
sboardman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sboardman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2013 at 5:44pm
I have a 2000 Air Nautique with perfect pass. After spending considerable time trying many different set ups to be able to surf, we finally have a set that consistently works well.
I have 3 Fly High Pro X Series fat sacs.
One 750 lb sac goes in the trunk pushed all the way to the Port side. We surf port side (regular/left foot forward)
One 370 lb tube sac fills the entire floor ski locker between the driver and observer seats.
One 400 lb sac on the floor port side next to the dog house.
In addition to the fat sacs, I usually want at least 6 people in the boat, in addition to me, the driver.
Two people in the back seat squished in the port side corner
One person sitting on the fat sac on the floor
Two people sitting in the observer seat
One person siting in the bow, port side
Perfect pass set at 10.3 mph
Hyperlite foam core surf board....I think it's a 5'6"?
With this set up, I have guys who weigh 200 lbs able to toss the rope in the boat and surf for days.
The goal is to get the weight and speed right so you minimize the white water on top of the wake.
2000 Air Nautique
1974 Martinique
boardersdad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boardersdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2013 at 7:08am
Originally posted by sboardman sboardman wrote:

I have a 2000 Air Nautique with perfect pass. After spending considerable time trying many different set ups to be able to surf, we finally have a set that consistently works well.
I have 3 Fly High Pro X Series fat sacs.
One 750 lb sac goes in the trunk pushed all the way to the Port side. We surf port side (regular/left foot forward)
One 370 lb tube sac fills the entire floor ski locker between the driver and observer seats.
One 400 lb sac on the floor port side next to the dog house.
In addition to the fat sacs, I usually want at least 6 people in the boat, in addition to me, the driver.
Two people in the back seat squished in the port side corner
One person sitting on the fat sac on the floor
Two people sitting in the observer seat
One person siting in the bow, port side
Perfect pass set at 10.3 mph
Hyperlite foam core surf board....I think it's a 5'6"?
With this set up, I have guys who weigh 200 lbs able to toss the rope in the boat and surf for days.
The goal is to get the weight and speed right so you minimize the white water on top of the wake.

1520 lb of sacs, 1130 lb (?) of people, 100 lb fuel etc
So 2750 lb load vs. 1250 lb Coast Guard Capacity

Any concerns about swamping?

I've seen ski teams doing this while practicing on the Black River (near the Mississippi River) in Mastercrafts. The boats always look awfully low in the water.

Steve
Steve_SN2001 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2013 at 11:18pm
I just read something about this on wakeworld today. I think the name of the thread was help me buy a boat or something like that on the boats and tow vehicles forum. People there were also talking about it's inability to make a surf wake. It's interesting is like to know why considering people can make a 2001 surf you'd think a vdrive would have no problems.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2013 at 8:05am
It's not the weight placement, it's the hull shape. The excel is a vee hull.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2013 at 10:42am
Tim is right. No customer we have can produce any type of push from a V hull boat. It's all about the flat bottom baby!

That being said, Surf waves sure are pesky during those early morning barefoot runs........
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2013 at 11:33am
Nobody's tried it with the NSS plate yet.   If I had to take a guess I'd say that all the lifting strakes cause the water to do something different. The Centurions and Sangers have a V and they surf just fine.
4th ski-doo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4th ski-doo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2014 at 1:19am
Originally posted by 05 210 05 210 wrote:

What speed? Dumb as it may sound you may have too much weight, especially in the bow. When we surf the port side on my San the wake is very sensitive to weight placement, amount of weight and boat speed. Way more sensitive than on the starboard side. Leave the sacs empty and fill the boat with people. They are easier to move around in small increments. Play with the weight and speed to see what you can come up with and if you find something that works recreate it with sacs. Sometimes its more about the setup than the actual weight. Start with all of the weight(people) in the rear corner on the surf side . Try to build something that resembles a wave by adjusting speed (9-11 mph?). Then displace some of weight on the surf side foward slowly until you get something rideable. One thing I notice in my boat is that having the driver opposite the surf side makes a huge difference in what you need to do to get the wake dialed. The wake is so much better when all of the weight is on the same side. I have been known to drive from the bow walkway when surfers are portside. With the lanyard on my wrist of course.

Keep in mind that a half mile an hour can change the wave considerably and so can water depth. You need at least 8-10 feet of water to get a decent wave going.

Or perhaps as Tim stated, maybe that hull just doesn't work due to the design . I wouldn't give up on it just yet. Play around alittle. Just don't do it at 6 am when everyone is skiing the course

Mike

What he said. Speed, wind, water depth, all adds up. Quarter to half mile an hour makes or breaks it.
2013 SANTE 210
2011 Sport 200v
1994 Bimini Skier Pro 190
1987 Master Craft Power Slot
91xl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 91xl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2014 at 11:18pm
trick to an excel is less weight and i angle cut the platform 6" in rear, it digs into the wave and makes it unsurfable plus the platform looks more modern. I usually run a 550 on side i am surfing on in seating area and 2 people on sun pad. i ride goofy and have rode for a while rope less behind my 91 excel
Thaddeus116 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thaddeus116 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2014 at 11:29am
I know the hulls are completely different but this is the set up on my '86 Ski Nautique 2001.

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=34335&title=86-ski-nautique-2001-surf-gate

The DIY surf gate made all the difference on mine... might be worth a shot to make one and try it out... only takes a couple bucks and an hour of your time to build and test...

Oss

Thaddeus
86 Ski Nautique 2001
ACME 542
PCM 351
airden23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airden23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2014 at 6:08pm
Wow, that is insane! Nice wave! How did you connect the surf gate to your platform or to the boat?
Thaddeus116 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thaddeus116 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2014 at 11:33am
Currently it's just clamped to the swim deck for testing with 2 Huge C-Clamps... No holes to drill or anything.
86 Ski Nautique 2001
ACME 542
PCM 351
KileyB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KileyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2014 at 12:50am
I wondered about that. I had two people in the bow and a couple on the front seat, nobody in the back seat and was pulling a tube for a little kid at about 10mph. The wake didn't look too bad although it was crashing over on itself pretty quick. We will have to give it another try! Do you have any pictures or videos surfing behind your excel?
'92 Excel
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic