NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Links in signatures don't work properly

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
ny_nautique View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Links in signatures don't work properly
    Posted: July-12-2013 at 1:12pm
Keith - not sure how often you look at this but I'm wondering if this is part of the slowdown and general errors we often get on this site.

Links within signatures are not handled properly by the forum. It is stated that the "no follow" attribute is applied to all links from this forum. "No Follow" is used to make robots not follow your external links. If you have a legit site and legit links there is no reason to use "no follow". I'm guessing the reason you have this is because of the all the link spam on the site.

I think there are better ways to handle the link spam (see below) but regardless, "no follow" is not being implemented properly, at least when it is in a signature.

Example 1:
a) Here's the code I added to link to Google in a test post:

b) and here's how it appears in the forum:

c) and here's the source:

d)and here's how it looks if I were to edit my post in the forum:

So you can see that works properly and the forum adds the "nofollow". In the 4th image (d), you can see that it actually adds commas in weird places, but the code shows that it ends up perfectly. That is because the BBCode tags are simple tags for users which the forum translates to proper HTML. So the syntax looks odd if we were to edit our post, but the resulting code is correct.

But if we add links to a signature, something odd happens to the code:

If I edit my signature with links, I would do something like this:

Notice that I'm below the 200 character limit (152) and that I used the regular BBcodes like it says I can.

But the resulting code is not what I had in mind. My signature length was changed to 186 characters (still below the 200 character limit) but it added some odd code.

Now if you look at the source for my signature, you'll see this:

You can see that it does add the "nofollow" attribute, but it chops off the end of my code (14 characters short of the 200 char limit) and it doesn't close the final < a > tag.

I tested a signature with only characters and it allowed the full 200 and didn't chop anything off. I also tested a sig in which the last line did not end in code, it still chopped it off.

So this is a problem and it leaves signatures with invalid code.

Now, on to link spam. The signup form has a captcha which prevents robots/scripts from signing up but doesn't prevent a real person from going through the routine of signing up.

My suggestions would be to either or:
1) Implement a different captcha that requires the registrant to answer a question. Something like "Name one of the top 3 ski boat manufacturers" and allow answers like "nautique, correct craft, ski nautique, mastercraft, master craft, malibu, supra"

2) Make each new registration require admin approval. Set up 3 or 4 site regulars to be admins with the ability to approve/deny/hold. There are enough regulars here that there shouldn't be a long wait for approval.
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2013 at 1:40pm
Hmmm, I played around a bit with the signature and it looks like that only happens if you have more than one link in your sig. I may be the only one that had 3 links in my sig. Can anyone else confirm that it cuts off your character limit?
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2013 at 1:46pm
Are you asking if there is a character limit on signatures? The answer is yes, its 200- and says so right in your profile when you go edit it.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2013 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Are you asking if there is a character limit on signatures? The answer is yes, its 200- and says so right in your profile when you go edit it.

No; re-read what I wrote.

- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2013 at 1:55pm
I read it 10 times... if I understood what youre trying to communicate, I wouldnt have asked you to clarify!
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2013 at 2:07pm
When I post 3 links in my sig, it cuts off the last link, messes up the code, and ignores the 200 character limit (cutting it off at 186 characters). This is a bug.

Wondering if anyone else has tried 3 links in their sig and if it works.

I added the link to how to post images in my sig and noticed this happening.
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2013 at 2:17pm
I see. No, the problem has nothing to do with the number of links in your signature- it does the same thing to mine whether I have 1, 2 or 3. It does add the "no follow" tag as you describe to all links automatically (after saving), adding about 15 characters per link. If the addition of those extra characters puts you over the 200 character limit, then anything beyond that gets deleted.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2013 at 2:24pm
You're still not getting it.
It is a bug in which the third link you add will get messed up.
Most probably wouldn't have this problem because unless you use a URL shortening app like goo.gl you would run out of allowable characters before you got to the 3rd link.

This has nothing to do with the limit of characters, but with the code that the forum puts in place of the 2nd or 3rd:

Look at the end of line 462. It abruptly ends without properly closing the tags.

Go to goo.gl and get a short URL for something. Then add that as a 2nd link to your signature. I bet the resulting code will be messy and it will cut you short of 200 characters.
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2013 at 2:31pm
I guess I could clarify by saying this: it cut off my signature at the 196 of "1969 San Juan". This cut off was not because the resulting code was more than 200 characters after automatically adding "nofollow"; it was only 186 characters. So I still had 14 characters left.
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2013 at 2:37pm
I have 3 working links in my signature. Does that, or does that not debunk your theory?

They are short... if the "no follow" that gets added bumps my total character count over 200, they dont work anymore.

It would appear that the problem lies with the interaction of the URL shortener and not the presence of 3 links, right?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2013 at 2:40pm
LOL I did the same thing... not sure now... but I added 4. WTF.
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2013 at 2:52pm
It doesn't have anything to do with the URL shortener. I wonder if it is a browser issue. I use Chrome... you?
The source code on your sig is fine Tim, even with the 3rd link. The source on mine is always messed up with more than one link, no matter what the link is.
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2013 at 3:01pm
I think youre getting warmer. No problem adding 3 shortened links to my profile either.

I use firefox.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic