Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Momentary Engine "Cut-out" at Speed

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
boardersdad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boardersdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Momentary Engine "Cut-out" at Speed
    Posted: July-17-2013 at 6:59pm
1984 Ski Nautique 2001
Engine Model PRD WR R10
Pleasurecraft Marine
Right-Hand Rotation from Rear
351 CID -- 255 h.p.
Warner Velvet Drive Model 10-17-003
Direct Drive (1:1)
Mallory YLM554DV Distributor Conversion

This might be related to the transmission neutral safety switch issue I'm having (but probably not, as this is in forward gear).

Every once in awhile, when at speed (for example, maybe 2500 or 3000 rpm), the engine "cuts out" momentarily--for a very short period of time, like a small fraction of a second, but it is definitely noticeable.

Usually, it happens once and that's it.

On the last time on the lake for our vacation, it happened twice in succession to my daughter while pulling a wakeboarder, as a result she started to throttle back and the engine died. I towed them to the dock. It turned over but wouldn't fire. We were getting ready to leave so I haven't looked at it yet.

The previous owner installed a Mallory YLM554DV Distributor Conversion. I found the installation instructions on the Mallory website and will trace all the wiring to see if it's right. My other boat (Mercruiser I/O) has a Pertronix conversion and I used to have a problem with the resistor wire heating up and reducing the voltage to the Pertronix which would then shut itself down (bypassed the resistor wire in the harness and went to a regular ballast resistor).

I'll also check the fuel pump, but this cut out thing is electrical. It reminds me of the reverse cut out on my Mercruiser stern drive.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Steve
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2013 at 8:30pm
Why don't you temporarily bypass the NSS to see if the problem goes away? Don't leave it that way though . . .

Really sounds like the ignition system itself to me.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boardersdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2013 at 9:27pm
Chris,

> Why don't you temporarily bypass the NSS to see if the problem goes away? Don't leave it that way though . . .

The boat is mostly being used by teenagers, captained by my son and daughter, to wakeboard and slalom. I have strict rules about the engine being off when near someone in the water. They also have it drilled into their heads that the neutral warm-up button must be pulled out for all starts, but even then, I do not want the boat to start in gear with anyone in the water. The cut-out problem is pretty intermittent (maybe 5 times in 6 days) so I'm not comfortable having the safety switch bypassed.

> Really sounds like the ignition system itself to me.

I know... and not my strong suit. As much as I hate messing with points, I had mixed feeling about the Mallory conversion. It took me the better part of a whole season to get the Pertronix on my Mercruiser to behave.

Steve
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2013 at 10:08pm
Hmmmm. The Neutral Safety Switch should only affect the starter motor. So, that wouldn't even come into play here unless someone really messed with the wiring.

Make sure everything is clean and tight with your key switch area before you go too much further. A lose connection combined with hitting some waves could certainly cause what you are talking about.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2013 at 11:01pm
Sorry for the unsafe suggestion, I was thinking only for a test run, not for a whole day.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boardersdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2013 at 11:37pm
No problem, Chris, I figured you meant for a brief time, but was just trying to explain how the intermittent behavior complicated things.

Good point, Brian, I'll have my son crawl under there again and clean up the ignition switch connections. Does pulling the seats involve taking lag screws out of the flooring, and if so, what's that stuff I need on hand to coat the screws with when reinstalling?

Any way to flip the panel or something--real pain to work on. My Mercruiser sterndrive is a PIA to work on but I cut an access panel into the helm so working on the panel is easy... the SN2001 engine is easy to work on but the panel is a PIA... arghhhhh

Steve

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boardersdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2013 at 2:54am
Didn't need to remove the seats. With the observer seat leaned aft, my son can just lay on the floor and work under there. He removed and cleaned all ignition switch connections, all clean and tight now. Also all fuse holder connections. We'll see what happens when we get her out again.

Man, I sure wish that panel could flip for working in there. It would mean longer wires and tubes, but it sure would be nice.

We also traced all the wires from the Mallory electronic ignition conversion. Everything seems to be hooked up correctly, per the Mallory installation manual.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic