Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

shaft alignment?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
racingnc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racingnc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: shaft alignment?
    Posted: July-18-2013 at 6:31pm
My boat was vandalized and the idiots tried to steal my prop and in the process they tried to take my shaft out. My question is do you have to do anything to align the shaft? I ask this because the boat repair place wants to charge me for a shaft alignment. They said there was a lot of damage done to the coupling and shaft so they want 1100 dollars for a shaft coupling and 6 hours of water time and an alignment. Thoughts?
Florida Inboards View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Florida Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2013 at 6:51pm
Boat? year? 6 hours is kinda steep unless the lake is 1.5 hours away X 2.
Money Talks! BS Walks! and loose change rides the bus!!!
racingnc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racingnc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2013 at 6:57pm
1986 Ski Martinique lake 5 min away
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2013 at 7:23pm
Get a ARE shaft, do it yourself and watch the alignment video in the "new" section.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2013 at 1:30pm
I'm trying to picture what the vandals did that would do the damage to the coupling? I could see them bending the shaft, or putting a pipe wrench on it, but not sure why the coupling would be damaged. Any chance of posting a picture? Describing what you see? If they used that much force you might have to check out your strut and cutlass bearing while you are at it.

If I was in the prop stealing business I'd own a puller, seems like the quiet, easy way to steal a prop.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
racingnc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racingnc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2013 at 1:48pm
According to Race City Marine they beat the crap out of the coupler causing damage to it. I thought I had a picture of it but I don't. I am probably going to go pick it up tomorrow and try to fix it myself. With summer almost over I'd like to at least go out a few more times this year.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2013 at 2:17pm
Matt,
Did RCM suggest an ARE replacement? The hours quoted must include other damage repair. I doubt Reid would try to overprice any of RCM's work. Fill us in on all the details on the work quoted.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jimsport93 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2013 at 2:19pm
Your in good hands at Race City Marine.
Do you have insurance on the boat?
File a claim, pay the deductible, and let the pros do the repair?
Just a thought. Needed a new shaft, strut, prop rebuild, fin and alignment on mine after an encounter with an underwater, cement, curb at the ramp back in '09 (let a friend launch...my mistake!). Had to have it quick. Local Correct Craft dealer at the time got me in and out within 10 days....in July!
racingnc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racingnc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2013 at 5:18pm
Replace prop but investigate why shaft does not spin but trans does $82.50
R&R running gear shaft,coupler,prop,rudder,etc order new shaft coupler engine alignment lake test 4-6 hours $660
Shaft coupler key ways $419
Then tax
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2013 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by racingnc racingnc wrote:

Replace prop but investigate why shaft does not spin but trans does $82.50
R&R running gear shaft,coupler,prop,rudder,etc order new shaft coupler engine alignment lake test 4-6 hours $660
Shaft coupler key ways $419
Then tax

And??????? Do you have a reading disability?
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Matt,
Did RCM suggest an ARE replacement? The hours quoted must include other damage repair. I doubt Reid would try to overprice any of RCM's work. Fill us in on all the details on the work quoted.

Yank the boat and do it yourself!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
racingnc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racingnc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2013 at 5:54pm
No mention of ARE parts and full insurance so I'm waiting to see if they will pay. If they do I will le t RCM do the work if not I will have to find someone to do it
racingnc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racingnc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2013 at 7:12pm
Insurance adjuster now has to talk to his boss for approval for repairs. Any one in Mooresville area interested in helping me remove the shaft and coupling then checking alignment?
ncdoubleup View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncdoubleup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2013 at 11:41pm
Hey, I just sent you a PM. Let me know if I can help!
racingnc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racingnc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2013 at 1:13pm
Ok first off I want to thank all of you that had taken any interest in my situation. I appreciate the fact that there is a place to go and vent find info and get a response to issues and questions. I got the call Friday that insurance will pay for the damages to my boat. I want to apologise to RCM for questioning their integrity and pricing. I was in sticker shock as most people are when it comes to boat repairs that you can't do yourself. Once again rhank you all.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic