Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ignition upgrade preferences

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Nauti87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nauti87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ignition upgrade preferences
    Posted: July-21-2013 at 1:46pm
Ok,
I have come to the point where I believe I need to replace my very old EI module. (prestolite as far as I can tell) This ignition stuff is getting old, I just wanna ride!
I only want to mess with this once, so I need to know what the majority is using or prefers, coil included,(ballast or no ballast) and where's the best place to get it.
Also, what should be done with the distributor, new springs etc.
The boat is an '87 PCM. I only see 25° advance @ 2500, initial set at 10°, the weights move free.
I don't want to rev it any higher than that on the trailer.
The reason I started this post, is there are a bunch of reading on here that goes back and forth on brands, and what works and what doesn't.

Thanks in advance.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2013 at 3:03pm
A lot of the gurus on this ste are running the Davis Unified Ignition http://www.performancedistributors.com/

No personal experience but I've heard good things. It's a little pricey but then you're just done. No extra coil, no resister, no questions on wiring.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2013 at 3:46pm
Jody,
What's wrong with a point set? Unless you convert to a complete DUI distributor, I do not consider a conversion module to be a "upgrade". Who is telling you it's an upgrade???

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2013 at 4:16pm
The DUI is by far the simplest, I'm going that way once I get my current issues sorted out, with my luck the bad wire I'm looking for would be the one I need on the DUI. It's not that much more that a complete Mallory with an epoxy coil and ballast resistor, I think it's about $100 on a RR, and there's something to be said for not having to figure out what someone may have done to the wiring in the past.
Nauti87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nauti87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2013 at 6:33pm
Pete,
Sorry I miss chose my words,,,, a lateral change.
Not really looking to change the whole distributor out just yet.
Seals View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seals Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2013 at 11:29pm
I just bought a complete new mallory distributor for my 79 Nautique From discount inboards. Hoping this Salz all of the past petronix EI module issues that I have been having.
Nauti87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nauti87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2013 at 9:48pm
As a follow up, I got a Mallory module, and used the ballast resistor. It runs great so far, hopefully will test it tomorrow.
I went with the Mallory because I've always had good luck with them on multiple cars. I had one Pertronix unit and it failed, with that being said, I'm sure they're probably better than back then.   
1987 SN 2001 Barn Find aka "Nauti" (sold sadly)
1988 MC Anniversary Prostar 190
boardersdad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boardersdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2013 at 5:47pm
We just got our '84 SN2001 this year. It has a Mallory conversion; not sure if I like it yet.

My old pontoon has a Mercruiser with a Pertronix. I wasn't sure I was a Pertronix fan, but it's been on there for 13 or 14 years and the engine still runs great.
Nauti87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nauti87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2013 at 8:57pm
If it runs, why don't you like it???
1987 SN 2001 Barn Find aka "Nauti" (sold sadly)
1988 MC Anniversary Prostar 190
boardersdad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boardersdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2013 at 2:06am
Nauti87> "If it runs, why don't you like it???"

Not sure which one you're referring to.

Pertronix (on Mercruiser): I had heard of some failures. But mine is doing great, so I like it.

Mallory (on PCM): We just got the boat this year and have been working through some issues, which I've been discussing in other threads (for example, momentary cut-out at speed). We're working through these. Once we get them all cleaned up and know that the Mallory conversion isn't an issue... I'm sure I will like it. :)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic