Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1978 Ski Nautique Windshield Wanted

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
1Nautique78 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1Nautique78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1978 Ski Nautique Windshield Wanted
    Posted: July-25-2013 at 4:22pm
Looking for a windshield to fit my 1978 Ski Nautique. Please contact me ASAP if you can help me out.
CrazyCanuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrazyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2013 at 2:48am
Funny, I was just thinking the same thing.....lol
I bought a 78 that has no windshield or frame. I was going to make one out of fir and paint it black, and then just buy the 4 pieces of glass.
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRtW3vJrMHLdqBzndt9VX3oOpBuRopGlzKq9Ea7pAO7wnTuoD8E8g
NatNut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NatNut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2014 at 2:20pm
Did you ever find the glass you were looking for?
I buy glass
CrazyCanuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrazyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2014 at 8:10pm
Yes. I made a frame out of cedar, and made cardboard templates for the glass. Then went to a glass shop and bought some glass and they sent it out to be tempered. All 4 pieces were 100 bucks total.
Cheapest windshield ever....lol
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRtW3vJrMHLdqBzndt9VX3oOpBuRopGlzKq9Ea7pAO7wnTuoD8E8g
NatNut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NatNut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2014 at 11:45am
was the glass curved or flat? The one I'm looking for is curved.
I buy glass
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2014 at 11:54am
No it's not.

Ski nautiques got windshields with curved glass through ~1970 and again starting in 1994. All years in between used flat glass, sometimes installed into a frame with a very gradual bend- but the glass itself is flat. It can be cut locally if you know the dimensions of the frame.
NatNut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NatNut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2014 at 11:58am
Thanks again. Does anyone know how to go about getting a curved piece purchased, made, or any ideas at all?
I buy glass
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2014 at 12:58pm
If you could be a little more specific about which year and model you are looking for, we could probably point you in the right direction.
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2014 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

No it's not.

Ski nautiques got windshields with curved glass through ~1970 and again starting in 1994. All years in between used flat glass, sometimes installed into a frame with a very gradual bend- but the glass itself is flat. It can be cut locally if you know the dimensions of the frame.

Are you saying 80-86 curved windshield actually had flat glass?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2014 at 1:19pm
I wouldn't call that a "curved windshield", and yes, the glass is flat. Same for 89 and 90-93. 94+ windshields (93+ on the sport) are what I would call "curved".
NatNut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NatNut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2014 at 1:27pm
Mine's a '94. The way I should have asked is, 'if you set the glass on the kitchen table, will any of the ends curve up or will all the glass lay flat on the table?' Thank you for you responses.
I buy glass
NatNut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NatNut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2014 at 1:31pm
It's a '94 Ski Nautique 19 foot ski boat. The windshield in question id the one of three on the right side. It is the glass that sits on the 'passenger' side of the boat and is curved around to the back of the boat. It was tempered and sits in a frame. I will have to remove the top rail and slide the glass back down i the gaskets on the sides and at the bottom. Then I simply reset the top rail and its gasket across the top. By the way, the rail across the top seems to be a one piece that extends across all three pieces of glass.
Any help on locating the glass would be GREATLY appreciated!
I buy glass
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2014 at 3:05pm
Your use of right, left and passenger side confuse me... Best to use "port" and "starboard".

You'll also want to clarify whether you have the "normal" closed bow windshield or he walk through, which was standard on open bows and optional on closed bows.

I suspect it was made by Taylor made and not water bonnet, but the remaining side should be marked with the manufacturer. You can try calling them directly or work through a knowledgable dealer like Zach at N3boatworks.
NatNut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NatNut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2014 at 3:13pm
Thank you. It is the open bow style, and I believe it is port side, if port is left side as when you are sitting in the driver's seat looking forward. I will check with Zach. Again, I am happy for any and all help I can get.
I buy glass
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic