Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

running hot at idle

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
marmon77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marmon77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: running hot at idle
    Posted: August-01-2013 at 2:59pm
I have a 1988 Ski Nautique 2001 I have removed the thermostats and changed the impeller. When driving boat around temp is normal about 160-170 but as soon as I come off plane the temp shoots up to over 190+. My question is could the water pump behind the main pulley be going bad or could there be another cause?
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2013 at 3:21pm
you have to run a thermostat...

most likely you need a new impeller and or you have an air leak at a connection or the pump...

it's almost certainly not your circ pump behind the main pulley
This is the life
dwcar View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwcar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2013 at 3:22pm
you might have an air leak somewhere between the point where your boat picks up water from the lake and your raw water pump. Have you checked all of your hose clamps? use a socket to tighten them.
83Ski
marmon77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marmon77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2013 at 3:56pm
My son informed me that they lost the o-ring to the strainer the other day. Could that be the culprit?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2013 at 4:01pm
yep that'll do it
This is the life
marmon77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marmon77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2013 at 4:19pm
OK So Ski dim should have them?
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2013 at 4:27pm
Yup, or Nautiqueparts or I'd think N3 as well.
marmon77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marmon77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2013 at 4:35pm
Just checked Ski dim it'll cost twice the amount of the o-ring to have it shipped :(
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2013 at 4:41pm
I think Dim Quotes high on shipping. But then, if it's something they can stuff into a regular envelope they'll lower it at the time the card is charged. Might be worth doing the transaction over the phone just in case, but Karen had told me that about the envelope.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2013 at 5:28pm
They that lost the o ring need to pay to replace it---tuition in the school of boating....Don't "lose" important parts...just because you don't think it's important does not mean it can't make the whole system fail.,,,no worky without the oring.
This is the life
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2013 at 6:43pm
Got O rings here and regular mail works. The part is like 7 bucks or so it won't be that much to ship.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2013 at 7:57pm
Originally posted by dwcar dwcar wrote:

you might have an air leak somewhere between the point where your boat picks up water from the lake and your raw water pump.

Originally posted by marmon77 marmon77 wrote:

My son informed me that they lost the o-ring to the strainer the other day. Could that be the culprit?

YUP!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
marmon77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marmon77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2013 at 10:39pm
Hey phatsat looking here locally but if I can't find one I'll certainly order one or two may do it any way
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2013 at 11:17pm
Curious, can I presume strainers are now standard equipment?, and if so, for how long?
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
boardersdad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boardersdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2013 at 3:56am
Those o-rings are important. My onboard kit includes an extra strainer o-ring, engine v-belts, the original prop, prop puller kit including nut and key, tools obviously, a tube of permatex ultra black, some wire and assorted crimp connectors and strip/crimp tool, voltmeter, elec tape, duck tape. Need to add an extra rwp impeller (probably the most important thing).

We usually have our pontoon boat on the lake, too, and it carries a ton of tools and parts, and a ton of beverages. :)

We make sure someone onboard has a spare ignition key, too. I spent a half hour one day hotwiring our pontoon boat at a public launch, because my key was hanging in the kitchen. I got a lot of weird looks.

I taught my teenage son to check the strainer regularly, and showed him how easy it was to dump the o-ring overboard. Then I told him if he does that, he pays for the new one! I'd better tell him he pays the shipping, too, lol.

I've also taught my kids to be ANAL about watching the temp gauge. Taught them the general aviation panel scan thing, and told them there's no reason they can't do a quick scan every 20 seconds or so. It gets ingrained and soon it feels wrong not to scan, kind of like wearing a shoulder harness in a plane or car. I also taught the kids how not watching the temp gauge can destroy the engine... and again who will be paying for it. With fun comes responsibility...
marmon77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marmon77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2013 at 11:50am
Hey Glass seeker, you say I have to run a thermostat. Can you explain why please? Thanks
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2013 at 1:17pm

Hey Glass seeker, you say I have to run a thermostat. Can you explain why please? Thanks

I'll jump in with Andy's comment. The T stat is needed to maintain the normal operating temp of the engine. If you are running without one, the engine will not perform like it should. Fix the problem on the suction side of the RWP. Don't "back yard".

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2013 at 8:42pm
^^^^^It's just that simple.

real common rookie maneuver is to remove the thermostat trying to "solve" an overheat issue and it never works.
This is the life
Nauti87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nauti87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2013 at 8:58pm
A thermostat is a must on a boat.
1987 SN 2001 Barn Find aka "Nauti" (sold sadly)
1988 MC Anniversary Prostar 190
marmon77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marmon77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2013 at 9:11am
Yes I replaced the O=ring and it took care of the overheating. Just wanted to codger up the T-stat question. Thanks guys!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2013 at 12:43pm
make sure you get the right thermostat...marine not automotive...get the right temp!
This is the life
marmon77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marmon77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2013 at 2:18pm
Ok Glass replaced the T-stat, got a 160* one. Boat runs at 160* then when we are switching riders it goes up to about 190* but no higher, then return to 160* when we started moving. We rode about 4-5 hours and that sequence was repeated each time. I'm assuming that is normal?
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2013 at 2:22pm
It's normal for the temperature to creep up when you shut the motor off.

But, it shouldn't creep up when idling. Mine goes up just a little coming off plane when the motors been running at higher RPMs, then goes down again at idle.

Also, I believe you want the 143* t-stat for your carbureted engine.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2013 at 2:46pm
^^^^what he said^^^^
This is the life
marmon77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marmon77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2013 at 4:09pm
10-4. Thanks again guys will get it changed out to the 143*
Also I would leave the boat running while changing riders that's when it would creep up.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2013 at 4:23pm
I personally prefer to shut the boat off entirely when someone is getting in/out of the boat. Safety trumps temp . . .
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2013 at 5:10pm

10-4. Thanks again guys will get it changed out to the 143*
Also I would leave the boat running while changing riders that's when it would creep up.

If you're leaving it running and you're seeing that big of a swing and temp, there is most likely a suction side air leak somewhere.

Double check your strainer for tightness and the presence of your O-Ring gasket.

Also check the strainer to make sure it's not gunked up (I have to check/clean mine often where I run in weedy water), the same for the incoming side of your tranny cooler.

Double check all of your hose clamps for tightness. Also make sure the hose ends aren't degrading.

Also, make sure the tranny cooler didn't get squished at some point from over tightening of a hose clamp.

If all that checks out, the RWP itself may need attention.
boardersdad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boardersdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2013 at 7:16pm

Really???
89Martinique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Martinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2013 at 7:27pm
whats wrong with the 160* on a carb motor? I did that for my supra and its fine. Was thinking about doing the same for my CC..
Current Boats:

1992 Supra Comp-TS6M PCM 351w HO Pro Boss Pro-Tec Ignition - Full Composite (no wood stingers!)

1989 (3rd Gen) Correct Craft Martinique B/R PCM 351w Power Plus

1984 E-Scow

Keuka Lake,
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2013 at 8:59pm
Originally posted by 89Martinique 89Martinique wrote:

whats wrong with the 160* on a carb motor? I did that for my supra and its fine. Was thinking about doing the same for my CC..

Skidim seems to be saying now that you can run either... so maybe it's ok, but if you're already running too hot...
http://www.skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1090

Nautiqueparts and N3 are both more specific, 143 for carbed 160 for efi.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic