NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

HELP!! No fuel to FCC!

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
whiz05403 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whiz05403 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HELP!! No fuel to FCC!
    Posted: August-06-2013 at 7:32pm
96 Sport Nautique GT-40.

So the boat runs fine then sputters and then dies and will not start. This happened a couple of days ago so I changed the fuel filter in the FCC and the boat ran great for about two hours. Now once again, dead in the water.

I pulled off the FCC cover and no fuel. I then pulled off the hose from the small pump below the FCC and it sputters a few drops of gas when we turn the key.

I then pulled out the back seat to expose the tank, when we turn the key there is no noise coming from the tank. I assume there is a pump in the tank.

So, is it the small pump below the FCC or the tank pump?

How do you replace the tank pump? Pull the tank out?

Where is the fuse for the tank pump?

Anything else I might be missing?

HELP. End of my only vacation of the year fast approaching!!!!

Mike
whiz05403 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whiz05403 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2013 at 7:34pm
Also, there is no inline fuel filter, I followed the lines from the tank. Thanks
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2013 at 8:38pm
Experts should chime in soon but it sounds like the low pressure fuel pump, same thing happened on my Excalibur and that's what it was.
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2013 at 9:09pm
Originally posted by whiz05403 whiz05403 wrote:

I then pulled out the back seat to expose the tank, when we turn the key there is no noise coming from the tank. I assume there is a pump in the tank.

So, is it the small pump below the FCC or the tank pump?

How do you replace the tank pump? Pull the tank out?

Where is the fuse for the tank pump?

Anything else I might be missing?

HELP. End of my only vacation of the year fast approaching!!!!

Mike

Mike there is no pump in the tank. The hose goes from the fuel pump pickup in tank to the low pressure pump. This pump keeps the FCC full of fuel for the high pressure pump to supply fuel at pressure to the injectors. Any excess fuel is returned to the tank via return line.

Check that the ASV (Anti Syphon Valve) is clean of debris. It is in the 90 degree elbow on top of tank (see attached picture). While you are there remove the fuel pickup out of the tank it may have a screen on the bottom that has become blocked. If this checks out and you have fuel flow to low pressure pump, replace this pump.

There is a small screen inside the low pressure pump that might be worth investigating before replacement.

I like to put a filter between the tank and low pressure pump it will keep and debris from getting to the low pressure pump.

If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
whiz05403 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whiz05403 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2013 at 10:24am
Thanks Lewy!!

I will be attacking these items today.

When I remove the anti-siphon valve does that free up the pick-up?

The LP pump makes noise and seems to be trying, we will see how it looks when I take it apart.

Is the LP pump a PCM part? Or can I get that at any auto parts store/boat store.

Thanks again Lewy.

Mike
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2013 at 10:42am
The pump is a carter electric fuel pump. It would be marine rated for safety. Most dealers carry them as well as N3, Skidim etc

The ASV is the brass fitting in the picture. You will have to remove the fitting it screws into to get access to remove pickup tube in tank.

The pumps get weak and are not able to pull the fuel from the tank.

You can make both pumps run continuously with the EEC test connector (STO) jumpered to earth. The ignition switch has to be on.

89 Ski

whiz05403 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whiz05403 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2013 at 11:00pm
So Lewy,

After yesterday's fiasco, I woke up this morning and went out to the boat and it started right up and ran perfect for 20 minutes until I shut it down.

So I am a bit confused as to why it ran perfect after dying the day before.

As a reminder, I have already sucked out every drop of gas from the winter and added fuel additives with a fresh tank of gas.

So I went ahead and took off the anti-siphone valve from the tank. (not the easiest task, since this this valve has been on there for 17 years!)

I also took off the LP pump and opened her up to see if there was any debris in the screen.

The anti-siphon valve was very sticky, so I went to a local marine shop 30 minutes away and bought a replacement valve. It was not the exact same replacement but close enough.

The LP pump had a considerable amount of debris so I cleaned that out.

We put the whole mess together, fired her up and she ran fine for almost two hours now. So we will see.

The last episode we had, she ran for three hours before repeating.

Wish me luck. And thanks again Lewy!!

BTW, my start issues from a previous thread was indeed the upper solenoid, just as Lewy said it was.

These forums are nice. A little slow sometimes, but very nice. Thanks

Mike
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2013 at 12:04am
Could the fuel pump relay be a factor here? Just thinking where it mostly acts up when it gets fully warmed. Dying relays can act up when they're hot.
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2013 at 10:49am
If the pump runs the relay is OK. Jumpering the STO when the problem occurs is a good way to test the relays.

89 Ski

whiz05403 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whiz05403 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2013 at 2:46pm
So now we have had 3.5 engine hours of fun to include some bare footing!!

I have noticed that the LP pump makes a weird noise when I turn the key. I think I am going to replace that pump ASAP.

Now today I just noticed a noise coming from the impeller pump pulley wheel, not sure if it's the belt or the pulley bearing. Might just replace that while I'm ordering stuff.

Thanks again for the replies!!

Mike
parrott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parrott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2013 at 2:24pm
Just wondering if your problem is fixed. I have a similar problem. I have changed the filter and that did not work. I have now replaced the relay and am waiting to get to the lake. I don't think that is it.
1999 Air Nautique

1992 Nautique

1978 Nautique
whiz05403 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whiz05403 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2013 at 8:46pm
I ended up replacing the fuel filter in the FCC, the anti-siphone valve back at the tank and I just put in a new LP pump I bought from Skidim for $126.

So far so good. Hope this helps.

Sorry it took me so long to reply.
parrott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parrott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2013 at 10:36pm
Thanks for the reply. I will try the relay this weekend. If that doesn't work I think I will go ahead and replace the LP pump. I guess if I replace everything, it will eventually be fixed...lol
1999 Air Nautique

1992 Nautique

1978 Nautique
jungle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jungle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2013 at 5:10am
Hey guys, have a 2000 GT 40, and the fuel pump breaker pops after about 15 to 20 seconds of running. Do the breakers get weak, or is it telling me that the LP pump or the HP pump is bad??

Thanks
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2013 at 9:46am
Originally posted by jungle jungle wrote:

Hey guys, have a 2000 GT 40, and the fuel pump breaker pops after about 15 to 20 seconds of running. Do the breakers get weak, or is it telling me that the LP pump or the HP pump is bad??

Yes disconnect one at a time to see which pump is causing the excessive current flow.

89 Ski

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic