NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Choosing a Ski?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Twothousandone View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twothousandone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Choosing a Ski?
    Posted: September-24-2013 at 12:18am
Hi, guys I recently got hooked on slalom skiing. I don't have my own ski and would like to have some advice on purchasing a new one. I've been starting to get my cuts down pretty well.

I know that it is the rider and not your equipment that makes you ride better, but from years or snow skiing and snowboarding I know that choosing the right set up makes it more enjoyable.

I've ridden an old (HO) Herb Obrien ski that felt much more sporty than a combo beginner set up.

Also is there anytime to find a good deal, in winter or close out deals.

Thanks guys
dwcar View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwcar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2013 at 11:21am
I would think you could get a few close out deals. The problem there is that you would not know if you would like it until you get it out on the water.
I suggest that you ask around and see if any of your ski shop will loan you a few to try.
83Ski
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2013 at 11:32am
Everyone gets bent out of shape about riding a ski that is beyond your level. I don't think buying a top performance ski is bad. I just taught a friend of mine (she has never been on a single ski) on my 06 Monza. They were a pretty unruly unforgiving ski since day one. She was up just fine and turning all over the place..

A crowd favorite and a nice used find is an HO CDX. Good mid level but will also propel you well into the 36 mph range. Don't blow a ton of cash on something new.

Check out Ski-it-again.com. Scored my Monza there 5 years ago blank for 110 bucks.

There's plenty of archived ski reviews on waterski magazines website that are very helpful and highlight all the nuances of each ski.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2013 at 12:17pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

There's plenty of archived ski reviews on waterski magazines website that are very helpful and highlight all the nuances of each ski.

This ^^. Go on eBay. $100 tops, to the door. Lots of dreamer sellers on there so be careful not to overpay.

I still think a CDX or Monza is way too much for a beginner. Sure, he could get up and cut all over but those skis aren't made to go slow or straight. The ride will be more enjoyable on a proper ski.

What is your height and weight?
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2013 at 12:46pm
HW is probably right but I have always had better luck teaching slalom with someone on a more capable ski VS a beginner style ski. We never turned down a team member if they couldn't ski at Ball State.

Some people get used to what they ride on and they can perform way better on a terrible ski than a mid range ski just because they learned it.

phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2013 at 12:49pm
If you don't have someone to tell you what to do video tape yourself then watch you tube. That will help you get proper body position.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2013 at 12:54pm
Agreed on the archived WSM reviews. I leaned on them heavily when I was researching skis 5 or 6 years ago. I ended up with a '06 Connelly F1 that I really like- I was instantly comfortable on it.

Even skis 20-25 years old are going to be a huge step up in performance from a combo ski... so take that into consideration when reading reviews. If youre going to jump right to a high end ski, then go with something that is considered a predictable, stable, deeper riding ski (my F1 falls into this category). It'll still be a rocket ship. If a ski is described as fast, but finicky, I'd stay away. Ive always wanted to like the HO's but many of them (esp the Monza) are in this category and Ive never been able to get anything out of them.

Ski-It-Again all day long... find a used blank for $150 or less and slap some new Wiley bindings on there and you'll be real happy.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2013 at 1:01pm
Wiley bindings are my fave!! +1

What Tim said. If it reviews Finicky stay away. Predictable is for sure the word you want to look for. There were a ton of F1s in the college circuit when I was skiing. I tend to like the fast skis so I can play make up since I am not too consistent.

Just read A LOT on Waterski Mag.
dip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2013 at 2:10pm
I'm more of the school that you should work up to a top of the line high performance ski. Technique is the most important thing. The biggest obstacle I see people have to advancing is establishing good body position on the cut through the wake. Fear often gets in the way of doing it right because doing it right can also generate a lot of speed. A very fast ski will not only take off on you more quickly than you want but also compound your mistakes. A bad fall at the wake will set you way back mentally. Having said that I've seen an awful lot of people having fun on $2000.00 Goode's, but they could be doing just as well or better on an HO Triumph.

Ski it Again is a great site. Buying a blank ski and getting Wileys is a great idea if you see the ski you want.
Getting the correct size ski is also important. Every ski company has size charts on their websites. If you're 160 lbs you probably want a 65-66" ski. If you're 200+ lbs a 68 or 70" ski.

Here are a couple of decent options as examples...
Connelly SP with binding
Blank Radar Theory
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twothousandone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2013 at 11:53pm
Thanks for all the replies guys.

I'll check out ski it again and go from there.

I'm 5'11 175-180 Pounds
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2013 at 10:17am
67 will get you where you need to be.
turningpoint84 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2013 at 10:56am
Yep go with a 67!

I have a 2005 HO phantom 66", i need to part ways with, i'm going quite a bit slower now that i'm 6'-2" 210 as opposed to 6'-2" 175 5 8 years ago haha.

I'll hop on ski it again....

Anyone know if they make anything close to a HO phantom today, i loved this ski, just too fat for it now.

BTW what's so great about Whilie bindings? I have Venom bindings from 2005 that I still love.
Proud 1968 mustang owner and now
1970 Mustang
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2013 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by turningpoint84 turningpoint84 wrote:

BTW what's so great about Whilie bindings? I have Venom bindings from 2005 that I still love.

Wiley makes a great rubber binding. Very high quality and very tight/snug. American made and plenty of support with parts and whatnot sets them off from the rest. They also hold their value quite well so if you ever need to move them on, you'll get a great resale price on them.

Nothing wrong with Venoms. I run HO on my slalom ski because I like the raised Superfeet footbed on the Animals. The Wiley puts your foot closer to the top of the ski which threw me off a bit.

The D3 Leverage binding is another great rubber boot to try out if you get a chance.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

dip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2013 at 1:07pm
I agree with Joel. Another nice thing about Wiley's is that their mounting plate is universal so you don't have to worry about it lining up with your ski's insert pattern. Wiley's is a ski shop with very knowledgeable staff who will help you buy the correct thing.
Lots of differing opinions out there about bindings. I think a lot of the new rubber-hybrid style lace up bindings are dangerous. They hold your foot too snug and won't release in a fall. I was demoing a new ski last year and it had a Connelly Sidewinder on it. I took a bad out the front fall going into a bouy, a fall you definitely want and need a release, and it didn't let go. Tweaked my ankle and ripped the binding but didn't let go.
Wiley's, D3 Leverage, Connelly Stoker and HO Animals are all good, reasonably safe, rubber wrap bindings. I personally run a Reflex hard shell on the front and a Wiley's wrap on the rear.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2013 at 1:23pm
I love the Wiley's. Soft and comfortable. I doubt thought I will be able to spend that cash though when I can pick up some new animals at dealer cost....
harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2013 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

Wiley makes a great rubber binding. Very high quality and very tight/snug. American made and plenty of support with parts and whatnot sets them off from the rest. They also hold their value quite well so if you ever need to move them on, you'll get a great resale price on them.

Wileys, No gimmicks, No syle color or change every season. They're just a good old hiwrap binding. Specific models for slalom trick or supertight fitting jumpers. The best part of a Wileys binding is the service. Thay can be sent back if ever need to be fixed or resized or replated for a different ski and for a slight fee come back to you like new! I've had Ho's for years and now sincemy kids seem to outgrow them every other time out Wileys has been the way to go.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2013 at 5:24pm
Can't go wrong with Wiley's. Great product and even better service.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2013 at 6:17pm
Anyone know what today's HO Phantom Truth is today? I see Ho renamed all their ski's.
1970 Mustang
dip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2013 at 6:51pm
The Phantom was HO's top performance ski back in the day, wasn't it? It and the CDX? Ski design has changed a lot since then so it might be tough to directly correlate the Phantom with a new ski. The A3 is HO's top of the line 36 mph ski. They have an S2 that is marketed as a 34mph ski.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2013 at 3:17pm
Thx Dip, i'll check out s2's, i prefer 34mph.
1970 Mustang
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2013 at 7:21pm

Anyone know what today's HO Phantom Truth is today? I see Ho renamed all their ski's.

I think all the Phantom Truths have been made into deck chairs by now. That was not a "loved" ski and neither was the Truth. They came out for 2003-04. 10 year old technology by now.

Massive changes have been made in ski design in the past few years. The S2 is an amazing ski, also a huge fan of the D3 Quest FWIW.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

DHart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DHart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2013 at 7:51pm
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

Massive changes have been made in ski design in the past few years. The S2 is an amazing ski, also a huge fan of the D3 Quest FWIW.

I upgraded from an '06 System 8 with double animals to an A2 with double animals this year and am blown away by the performance. The increased speed and quickness of the A2 over the S.8 is unreal. Can't imagine a ski being much faster.
BeeJay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeeJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2013 at 2:23am
Have skied for years on higher level competition skis, but a back injury finally put the kabosh on deep water starts-so painful! After much research I finally opted for an Obrien "Syncro". It had a wider width for easier startups, but I was not expecting much in performance because of that. Well was I ever surprised on my first run with it.Easy deep water starts, super stable,holds tight on the turns and great acceleration out of them. One added advantage due to it's width is if you ski on busy lakes, you can cruise forever until you find quiet water at which time you will still have plenty of strength left to start shredding it.Andy Mapple had a big hand in the ski's development and from what I am experiencing, he really did his home work well. Probably not too good for deep short line but seems to handle well at 28 off.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twothousandone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2013 at 7:33am
Does it matter what brand adjustable rear footbed I get. Meaning should it match the front binding?
dip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2013 at 11:32am
It doesn't have to match the front binding but watch hole patterns. They should have similar footbed depths though (the distance between the bottom of your foot and the top of the ski).
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2013 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by DHart DHart wrote:

I upgraded from an '06 System 8 with double animals to an A2 with double animals this year and am blown away by the performance. The increased speed and quickness of the A2 over the S.8 is unreal. Can't imagine a ski being much faster.

Hey Dave,

Been skiing an S8 for a while myself and looking for something new and faster. How does the A2 decelerate? Does the A2 want to turn sharp and fast or is it more of a carver? How does it compare on deepwater starts, for us getting older guys the easier deep starts are definitely preferred.

Thanks!!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2013 at 4:35pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

How does it compare on deepwater starts

AAM196 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AAM196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2013 at 11:37pm
Agreed... get an entry level ski to figure out body posistion etc.. an advance ski could be dangerouse, hinder learning and be a waste of money. Grab a deal off ski it again and go from there. You will not know what you want for a few seasons anyway.

Then Demo...

I love my first ski a Jobe 1600... and just bought a 2012 Strada of ski-it-again that is awesome for me.

FYI skis are cheap and plentyful on ski it again right now...end of season
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic