Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Still have carb problem?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
rtsuggs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rtsuggs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Still have carb problem?
    Posted: April-21-2014 at 6:09pm
I've replaced the power valve but screwing in the air screws still does not chock down the motor like it should. I can screw them all the way in and it makes no difference. I cleaned the meter block and there's no trash in it.
It's a new holly 4160. Any suggestions ?
78 nautique
78 ski nautique SOLD
85 ski nautique
rtsuggs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rtsuggs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2014 at 11:35pm
bump
78 nautique
78 ski nautique SOLD
85 ski nautique
catamount View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catamount Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2014 at 1:36am
The carb is brand new, or newly rebuilt? Is this the same "new" carb you were referring to in 2012 when you posted about this problem before?

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=26175

If the PV is not blown and the mixture screws have no effect, I guess your floats must not be set right. That, or your throttle cable is incorrectly set and is putting pressure on the accelerator pump at idle. Check the floats, disconnect the throttle linkage and see if that has any effect.
1987 MC ProStar 190
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2014 at 10:06am
More than likely there is a vacuum leak somewhere. Start checking all possible points of air entry into the intake tract.

Other scenario is the timing is way too retarded causing you to have the primary butterflies open past the point of running on the idle circuit and are now running off the transition circuits thus the adjustment screws having no effect. When everything is working right one screw should almost immediately kill the engine as it gets close to almost closed.
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2014 at 3:26pm
You've had this problem for two years with a new carb? This can't possibly be your only issue? What boat and engine? Did you replace with a marine carb? Why did you replace the carb in the first place? Same issue or a different one?

You don't give a whole lot of information to work with on any of your posts and then go months or even years between them. It's kinda hard to help someone out like that.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
rtsuggs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rtsuggs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2015 at 7:28pm
I only get to go out about twice a year. And yes I'm still having the same problem. I've adjusted the floats in carb . I've changed power valve. I've checked vacuum leaks . I've checked timing. The carb was a brand new 4160 holly when i put it on in 2012 and has not been right sense. The old carb was corroded and in bad shape from sitting for years.. Today it ran great for the first 30 min run. I shut it off and waited about 10 min and it was very difficult to start. Had to pump throttle several times before it would start, took several trys. Then it would not take throttle had to pump it on and off till it built up rpm and planed out . So to recap it's a newly rebuilt 351 and a brand new holly 4160 carb.
The forums do not email me when i have a reply so sometimes I forget to check back. I have automatic notifications turned on but it still do not email me.

Thanks
78 nautique
78 ski nautique SOLD
85 ski nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic