NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1999 SN stereo/speaker questions

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
AAM196 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AAM196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1999 SN stereo/speaker questions
    Posted: May-22-2014 at 2:54pm
are the stock speakers in a 1999SN 5.25"?

Was looking to install polk db521s or db651s... anyone have these? I am interested to hear about what others have done to include enclosing the speakers etc. I think Christine's sells little plastic enclosures.. do they improve sound?

I am also looking to drop in a bluetooth streamable stereo.. I see Clarion, JVC and Kennwood make marine grade units... I almost bought an Alpine non-marine stereo but have had doubts about non marine grade.

Is there a simple way to improve reception without installing an antenna? Windshield antenna?

Though it is unlikely for me to take water over the windshield you never know.

Thanks for any advice.     

TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2014 at 3:15pm
The plastic enclosures help when the speaker is going into a panel. If you're putting it into a place where there is good air separation between the front and the back of the speaker then the small enclosure will hurt the mid bass. I'm going to guess in 99 you have the second situation.

In the first situation you have to tune the sub to make up for the early low cut off.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2014 at 4:36pm
Andy, I think they are 6.5s but I could be completely wrong. I have never taken the pieces out of dad's boat.

What I will tell you is I just put Polk DXI 651s in the brown boat and it rocks. I think some of that comes from the original side pods acting as a nice speaker box. It has a 400 watt 4 channel clarion pushing them and it is LOUD. The sound quality is great and I haven't even tuned it to the point of distortion.

The DBs have a way higher RMS rating than these so I don't think you will need or want anything louder.

AAM196 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AAM196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2014 at 4:55pm
Don,
I think you are right...

Zach,
From what I understand, the dxi series are a step above the db series. Both are said to be marine grade and I doubt I will notice any difference pushing with head unit amp. I actually just found they are on sale at best buy for $75 a set for either 5.25s or 6.25s, I just have to figure out which I need and get 4.

Anyone have issues with a non marine grade stereo?    
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2014 at 6:50pm
Not to hijack but should an antenna be grounded?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2014 at 10:56am
The DXI are what the current G series boats are running Andy. I powered antenna on the grey boat and it is grounded but I don't think you need to on a standard antenna Gary.

Let me know what you find on the speaker size because I need to throw some new pieces in dad's boat. The 75 bucks is what I bought this last weekend. The grill that comes with that DXI is horrendous so I improvised from warranty junk at the shop.

Been ripping on brown town all week to get it ready. Was in the shop this morning at 6 still plugging away and I am still not finished ha.
AAM196 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AAM196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2014 at 2:39am
FYI, They are 6.5" speakers.
RSqwhfsdfgold View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RSqwhfsdfgold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2014 at 11:26pm
I think you're absolutely right. I agree with you.

Fifa 14 PC Coins
malibud View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2014 at 11:19am
Can't just run blue tooth straight from the amp and skip a head unit ?
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2014 at 12:13am
Isn't the antenna located up under the dashboard? That is where mine is. I have a picture of it somewhere. But I don't know if it is grounded or not.
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
AAM196 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AAM196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2014 at 2:09am
I don't know of an amp that you can stream directly to.

The antenna is up under dash and I do not believe it has its own ground.

I ended up buying 4 polk db651 speakers, an Alpine bluetooth, cd, usb style head unit and a leef 32gig 3.0 thumb drive. I went with the Alpine non marine grade radio because I got a display unit 1/2 price. All and all, for the minimum money I invested, it sounds much improved. The 32 gig usb drive hold 7,500 songs so having music in album folders makes them easier to scan thru and since the drive is so small, you can shut the door. I just have the feeling I will be adding a sub and amp soon.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic