NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GT - 40 fly wheel

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GT - 40 fly wheel
    Posted: June-27-2014 at 9:30pm
Does anybody know what size the fly wheel is on a GT-40 or are they all the same?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2014 at 9:50pm
Paul,
What's wrong with it? If it's just the ring gear, install a new one. There are a couple threads on it but it's a very simple heat shrink process. The auto supply will want to know the number of teeth and of course the ID of the gear (OD of the flywheel) is helpful.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2014 at 10:44pm
I would think Paul that the 40 would be the same as a regular 351 only the 302 changed in 82 from the 28 oz balance to the 50 oz of the 351. But I do not know for sure that the marine is the same but the 351 automotive always was the 50oz. I would think Joe would have some insight on this.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2014 at 11:48pm
Thanks Gary. Size and auto verses marine is what I'm trying to figure out.
Pete - I got a line on some parts from a ’95 roller 351 that I’m looking at.
Mountain Man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2014 at 11:46am
Gun Driver: I've got a fly wheel off a GT-40 in my shop - will take the measurements this evening when I get home from work.
Mountain Man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2014 at 12:07pm
GT-40 has a 157 tooth Flywheel with outside diameter of the ring gear that measures 13 1/4". Casting information: FOMOCO "C6ZE-6380-A", 6K13,
C7ZE-B. Six bolt holes. Center hole is 1.7" in diameter. Bolt holes are on 3" centers when facing 180 degrees apart.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2014 at 12:25pm
Thanks Steve that confirms that it's the same as my '85s
malibud View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2014 at 4:24pm
I have gt40 fly wheel if interested make offer
man0seven View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote man0seven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2019 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by malibud malibud wrote:

I know this was 5 years ago but worth a shot. Is this still available?
I found out this weekend the teeth on mine are shot.

What is the best approach to this? It looks like it sat in water for a long time and has become really rusted inside the bell-housing.
Should I replace the whole wheel or just the ring?
What else should I replace when I am in there?
What threads are helpful on this subject?
If I pull the transmission will I have to realign it all?
What other issues should I be concerned about?

2005 Ski Nautique
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2019 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by man0seven man0seven wrote:

Originally posted by malibud malibud wrote:

I know this was 5 years ago but worth a shot. Is this still available?
I found out this weekend the teeth on mine are shot.

What is the best approach to this? It looks like it sat in water for a long time and has become really rusted inside the bell-housing.
Should I replace the whole wheel or just the ring?
What else should I replace when I am in there?
What threads are helpful on this subject?
If I pull the transmission will I have to realign it all?
What other issues should I be concerned about?

I'd take it apart and most likely the flywheel will clean up OK and you could replace the ring gear.

It's a 157 tooth ring gear as mentioned previously and any auto parts store should be able to get you one for 25 bucks or so. Tell them it's for a 67 Ford Mustang with a 289 and a 4 speed.

You don't want one for an Automotive 351 because it has 164 teeth.

You should look at the damper and decide if you want to replace it.

Realignment/checking the alignment would be a good thing

You'll be able to look at the transmission input shaft seal and the rear main seal on the engine to see if there are any signs of leakage too.

You can find old threads on dampers, seals and ring gear and flywheel replacement.

You're kinda limited on replacement damper plates with the PCM transmission as compared to the Borg Warners. (different number of splines on the input shaft)
man0seven View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote man0seven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2019 at 4:30pm
Thanks Ken.
I got the new gear ring on and all put back together. Works great.
Thank you for the help.
B
2005 Ski Nautique
brantb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brantb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2023 at 7:39pm
Replying here since the answer is probably the same. I need to replace the ring gear on my 99 air toque. It is the standard 351w, not the GT40. I could have sworn it was a flex plate and not a flywheel, but it was also four years ago and I can't find pictures anymore. Anyways, can someone confirm that I am wrong and it's indeed a flywheel where I can replace only the ring gear with a new 157 tooth one.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2023 at 7:56pm
OK  I'll confirm that you're right about being wrong Wink

It's a 157 tooth ring gear on the flywheel.

Here are some part numbers
Ford C20z6384b
Napa 6003030
Dorman 04410
Sealed Power 416121
ATP ZA 503
Pioneer FRG-157N 
brantb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brantb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2023 at 8:47pm
Thank you Ken.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic