NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

--

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
waker319 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waker319 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: --
    Posted: July-01-2014 at 5:45pm
-
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2014 at 6:06pm
Holy Cow, is a gun safe a piece of furniture

If it was me I would bring it to the best gel/glass guys in your area for an estimate, ask lot's of questions while there.

You will want to find a good spot for you gel blend line as the color match can be the most challenging part, a contour change, corner, etc. are examples of a good place to hide the transition. Below the gel you will want to add some new mat to re-strengthen any glass which may have been damaged, flexed, cracked, etc.
You will also want to inspect the backside for any damage and repair as necessary.

DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2014 at 6:16pm
ouch, sorry to hear about this.
It looks like the damage goes much deeper than just gelcoat which is a bummer. my experience with gelcoat repair is that no matter how new the boat is the repair is always going to be able to be seen by someone who knows what to look for.
The closest match will be to call the manufacturer that laid up your hull and get a can of the gelcoat they use right from them. I have had to do this in the past.

I like west system, it is the best in my eyes. youll want to utilized their 403 filler.
CAN you get at the underside of this damage? and how easily will be the first thing to figure out.
If your able to get under it you will want to cut out anything that is no longer bonded to the hull and replace it. I'm pretty sure these hulls were probably laid up with a chopper gun so you will not be able to reproduce that effect but you can build up with some matting and tie it into existing glass with woven cloth.

another way to do it would be to cut out replacement paneling which you can buy from mcmastercarr called FRP it can be bought in the same manner as metal, in tube, angle, square, solid and flat sheets.
It is amazing stuff to work with and a huge time saver. you can pretty much lay up onto it like repairing a hole in your sheetrock wall. you want to be sure to grind down the surface and lay up inlayers on the edges and you will still need to taper down the mating edges and lay some layers but it will take less time to get the thickness your looking for.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2014 at 6:31pm
I would get an estimate too,because you will have some money tied up in supplies that you might never need again.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2014 at 6:47pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

I would get an estimate too,because you will have some money tied up in supplies that you might never need again.

ditto.
It took me a lot of money in supplies to get to the point where i can do glass and gelcoat work but if I wasn't setup the way i am I would bring it somewhere and open up my checkbook.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2014 at 7:01pm
Ouch, very sorry to see that damage, looks like your boat was very clean prior. Good luck with the fix.
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2014 at 8:36pm
That sucks. I agree with the others on here, take it to some pros for a few estimates. At the very least you can find out what it would cost and what they would do to repair it.

Then if you still wanted to try it yourself, you'll at least have more knowledge and ideas at your disposal.

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
jimsport93 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2014 at 9:23pm
Leo, that is a pretty major hit. I would take it to a "reputable" glass repair shop. Ask around. Call some insurance companies and ask who they recommend. Ask a local boat service center, or several. There is usually someone who does quality work and knows how to deal with this kind of glass damage, especially in an area of the boat that is staring you in the face every time you get in the boat.
Hopefully you have insurance. Did you find the guy who launched the piece of furniture?
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2014 at 10:11pm
Um, I'm going against the grain here but that doesn't look that bad to me. It looks like you need to remove that section of the rub rail, make sure the glass is solid underneath, sand and prep and then apply some new gelcoat. Wet sand, polish, buff, wax and re-attach the rub rail. The big step would be making sure the glass is solid underneath the damage and that you do not need to remove or repair any glass. Even if you do, this is a small repair and should be easy to do with the right tools, glass and resin.

Just another opinion. I'm sure others here will tell me I'm wrong immediately. Sorry to see the damage to your beautiful boat.
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
ny_nautique View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2014 at 10:55pm
Did you talk to your insurance company?
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2014 at 10:56pm
Kevin,
A picture can be deceiving. I thought the same about the damage not being that bad when I looked at it the first time. If you look closer, you will see evidence of deeper damage. A close exam is needed. Still, it's still possibly a DIY repair.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2014 at 11:02pm

I'd just be concerned on the color match Kevin. My Mustang being a beater I was willing to try repairing the gel. I just damaged the chine on the 95 so I ordered Spectrum gel for it,in cloud silver.I will be doing that in a week or so before GL. Is yours the same color as mine? how was the match? I was going to take it in where Quinner had his done but he was taking up all the guy's time
I decided to do it myself, if it does not match good I figure I can always take it in,it was only 25 bucks!
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
juniorwoody View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2014 at 12:04am
Gary, your funny....
The value of money spent on new adventure far exceeds the value of money saved for the future
juniorwoody View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2014 at 12:39am
white is the worst to match, given that lets look at the positive side. it looks like a clean break at the gel coat after the chips are removed. no minor repair however if done with a litl finesse there can be minimal disruption. epoxy is very forgiving and strong. the patch can be carefully executed and after the glass has been replaced there is a nice edge to dam up the gel. i would undercut it a bit if possible. maybe not. a clean job even with a slight off color is not to be ashamed of. over fill the gel and carefully go through the grades of papar always keeping the area as small as possible for the repair.
The value of money spent on new adventure far exceeds the value of money saved for the future
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2014 at 1:06am
Your lucky, there are lots of true gel coat artists in Cali, they'll be able to match the color and make it look like new, that's the hardest part. Normally I'd say DIY it, but that's going to be really noticeable if it's not perfect.
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2014 at 11:09am
Hate to say it but in the third picture it looks like quite a bit of stress cracks on top of the gunwale if so I would say that’s going to be an extensive repair. Especially with the area that it’s in, a mediocre job is going to stick out like a sore thumb. As stated in the earlier posts, glass repair, color match, blend is going to be a sizable job.
If it were mine it would be going to an expert for that.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2014 at 12:10pm
If it were not July I'd consider doing it myself.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2014 at 1:30pm
May have to agree with you Hollywood since its the middle of summer. I would make sure I got a quote from a qualified shop and work with the insurance company on a delayed repair plan or get a check then sand smooth putty and run it. Worry about fixing it in the off season.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2014 at 2:23pm
Drop it off Monday and pick it back up Friday. Or, like you said, cover it in white duct tape and revisit over the winter.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2014 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Drop it off Monday and pick it back up Friday. Or, like you said, cover it in white duct tape and revisit over the winter.

I was just thinking Duct tape, LOL. I wouldn't trust anybody to repair that in a timely manner if my ski time depended on it. As long as your insurance agrees get it professionally repaired just before you put the boat away for the winter. Sure it could be done DIY but that's what you have insurance for, use it.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2014 at 3:25pm
Ok skip a weekend for some graduation party or soccer game ad pick it up the following Friday.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2014 at 4:10pm

Ok skip a weekend for some graduation party or soccer game ad pick it up the following Friday.

Yeah sorry, I take what anyone tells me for a lead time and double it. So now you'll have time for the grad party, the soccer game, paint the house and go visit your in-laws. I'm thinking November sounds pretty good.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2014 at 4:21pm
^^
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2014 at 4:27pm
And then when you get the boat back your truck breaks down.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2014 at 5:23pm
Bazinga!
cphase View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cphase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2014 at 6:02pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Bazinga!

Sheldon is that you???
Thanks,

Jeff
82 SN
Arch Linux
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2014 at 9:54pm

And then when you get the boat back your truck breaks down.

A.K.A: Murphy's Law
'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic