Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Firing order for RH rotation

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
cbr1000dude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbr1000dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Firing order for RH rotation
    Posted: August-13-2014 at 4:37pm
Couldn't find previous discussions, but thanks for the info. Like I said, I'm not a mechanic.
But more importantly, it runs! No cloud of smoke or bad noises either. So now I'm energized to do the other 27 projects (I made a list, yikes!)to get this boat in the water.
The carb looks like a sprinkler inside after I shut it off, rebuild kit is on it's way. This I've done a few times.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2014 at 12:13pm
PCM did put the correct FO on the tag, and they would have put it on right side up! They used to goop over the standard rotation FO cast into the intake on some engines, but not all... Nothing rotation specific about an intake obviously- so of course it's going to be the standard gm piece with the LH order on it. I've seen LH balancers installed on RH engines before (the only difference being the timing marks) by nothing nearly as late as the 80's... My guess is that someone installed an automotive balancer on there at some point.

Mechanics unfamiliar with marine engines screw up our reverse rotation engines all the time- people come here with LH starters and firing orders on a regular basis tying to figure out why their boats won't run. I don't have high expectations of most "mechanics" but I would think a CCFan should know a little better. Cc's with factory standard rotation engines from the 60's through '89 are VERY rare. Reverse rotation 454's spin the cranks one way and the cam the other due to their gear on gear timing set. The cams are sometimes called "standard rotation reverse fire" for they spin the same direction as a lefty and allow the use of a standard distributor/gear, but the firing order is obviously backwards. It's been discussed here many times, sounds like you're up to speed now though!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbr1000dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2014 at 11:52am
Originally posted by oldcuda oldcuda wrote:

Seems you got it all sorted out runnin yet?

Uh, not yet. Seems like from previous experience, the wife and neighbors don't like me running a boat engine before dawn! Something about waking them up. Sounds like beautiful music to me, but I'm an early riser. I'll wait until about ten to try it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbr1000dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2014 at 11:46am
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

If you go to the reference section under manuals towards the bottom of the page there is a PCM manual that encompass' both Ford and Chevy motors in there you will find all the info you need.

True, but the confusion caused by the firing order markings on the intake manifold and timing tab aren't mentioned anywhere in the manual. Seems like PCM should have made a label for RH engines as part of their process. Even a "mechanic" (which I am not) got the wires screwed up, so I thought posting it might help someone doing an internet search.
I knew something was fishy when I saw "after" TDC come up before "before" on the timing tab when using the starter to find TDC when installing the distributor. My mind just couldn't grasp that the steel stamped tab was wrong for the RH engine, and the intake manifold was cast with only LH firing order.
Guess you can't believe everything you read!
oldcuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2014 at 10:46am
Seems you got it all sorted out runnin yet?
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2014 at 10:38am
If you go to the reference section under manuals towards the bottom of the page there is a PCM manual that encompass' both Ford and Chevy motors in there you will find all the info you need.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbr1000dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2014 at 3:30am
So I'm putting this 454 barefoot together and learning everything the hard way. There is a firing order cast into the intake manifold in large clear numbers. The PO had the spark plug wires the same order installed in the dist cap. Simple huh? No brainer. Only now that it's together, it won't start, just a few random backfires, little fire out the top of the carb. Timing right?
So after 2 days of frustration, it finally dawned on me that the plug wires had to be hooked up wrong.
Turns out this is a RH rotation engine, so the firing order is 1-2-7-5-6-3-4-8 (even though the rotor spins the same clockwise direction of a LH engine). If says so on the metal label attached to the head, which I hadn't read because it's attached up side down. Model # PRKWRR10, serial # 280135, Firing order 1-2-7-5-6-3-4-8. Canal Winchester, Ohio 43110
Also, the timing plate with the jagged edges(by the harmonic balancer) marked before and after and TDC in 4 degree increments is for a LH rotation engine! The line across the balancer moves from right to left which are marked after on the right, and before on the left. Backwards!
So this really screwed me up good. My brain hurts from figuring this out. Hopefully, tomorrow will be the day I hear it roar instead of fart!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic