Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

timing and vacuum

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
cronedm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cronedm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: timing and vacuum
    Posted: August-14-2014 at 4:24pm
I have a 77 ski tique I have a new engine in it.. the carburetor is a rochester model two barrel. the engine is a chevy 305. can someone please advise me on what to set the timing at. also I am told there is a vacuum adjustment for the carburetor ... how is that done as well.. cronedm@gmail.com or call 2055349321 I have spend about 9k on this boat and I am ready for the damn thing to run... thanks
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2014 at 6:36pm
Do yourself a favor and get a carb base plate adapter and put a Holley or a quick fuel on it.

You need to buy a cheap vacuum gauge. Timing initial should be around 8-10 degrees before top dead center.

Vacuum in gear pushing the trailer around 400-500 rpm idle should fall in between 15-17 inches on the gauge. If it goes below 14 inches you need to start looking for leaks or the condition of the engine.

Set your timing first and then start the idle adjustments. Does it run at all with the Q jet carb on it? The q jet idle screws come out in the front under the bowl on either side and are kind of hard to get to.

Mr. Workman will disagree with me on ditching the Q jet but he has a guy who knows them well and if you don't they are annoying.

If you want to later tune it for max power you need to have the timing all in (above 3000 rpms) around 32-36 degrees.
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2014 at 8:00pm
In the reference section see "Blue water 198"
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2014 at 8:45pm
Originally posted by cronedm cronedm wrote:

I have a 77 ski tique I have a new engine in it.. thanks

I have to ask why the new engine? What was wrong with the old? Wasn't it rebuildable?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2014 at 3:21pm
Sounds like your engine is rebuilt but the distributor may be old, I would put a timing light on it and watch the timing mark as you rev the engine, make sure your mechanical advance is working, you should see the timing advance as you rev the engine. It should move smoothly up until it maxes out as noted in previous post around 3,000 to 3,500 RPM and at that RPM your timing should be no more than 36 degrees. This number is far more important than your idle Timing number.
You asked about adjusting the idle mix screws. You should have 2 screws on the front of the carb, these will help adjust your idle air mix. Normally rule of thumb is to turn one in till the engine starts to stumble, then back out slowly, maybe 1/4 turn at a time and watch your vacuum reading. When the vacuum stops going up stop and do the other screw. Then repeat, work for the highest vacuum reading. The two should be adjusted about the same number of turns out from closed. Maybe 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 turns from the closed position. The amount of turns out is flexible based on how yours runs. Strong vacuum numbers = strong idle quality normally.
If your engine does not stall out or stumble as you close the screws you have a problem in the carb.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic