Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Help - I Think I Blew My Transmission

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
starbox189 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starbox189 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help - I Think I Blew My Transmission
    Posted: August-17-2014 at 1:13pm
I own a 1981 Southwind (Ski Nautique) with a 351 engine in excellent condition for it's age. The transmission is a Velvet Drive 10-17-003 (ASI-71B)with a 1:1 drive ratio.

I had the boat overloaded with people yesterday and tried to get it up on a plane. As it was approaching a plane, then something immediately let go and the engine over-reved and I shut it down immediately. There is now no power transmission in either forward or reverse. The prop shaft does not turn in either forward or reverse but it spins freely. There is a minor mechanical grinding noise that seems to come from the vicinity of the transmission.

What do you think happened? Did I blow the transmission or is there linkage between the engine shaft and transmission that let go. Where is the best place to get parts, either new or rebuilt?

Many thanks for your advise.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2014 at 1:34pm
NG,
I don't think it's the trans but rather the dampener coupling on the flywheel. Pull the bell-housing and trans to check it out. When was the last time you installed a new one??

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2014 at 1:35pm
Based on it going all the sudden I suspect you need a new drive damper or you need a new damper and a new transmission or a major rebuild. Assume the best, buy the damper and when it shows pull off the transmission and hope for the best
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2014 at 1:36pm
+1 but what is a Southwind Ski Nautique?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2014 at 1:37pm
So pete beat me to it but I am claiming bonus points for the link
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2014 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

+1 but what is a Southwind Ski Nautique?

NG has no clew as to whats up!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2014 at 1:46pm
C'mon guys you know what he means! And whether it's a Skier or San Juan, the model wouldn't make a difference as to the problem. But as a side note, in the '80's there was either a 70's Ski Nautique or a Martinique on the Butler chain with factory graphics labeled a Southwind. So you could easily call that a Southwind (Ski Nautique). The guy must've picked up the wrong stencil that day.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2014 at 5:15pm
What's this then

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2014 at 5:28pm
Cudatique!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic