NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

hard to start when warm?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
d4vy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4vy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: hard to start when warm?
    Posted: August-18-2014 at 8:01pm
hi guys,

been having starting problems since i got the boat last year.

its a 2001 nautique 5.7 windsor.

seems to start on the button when its cold but when the engine gets any sort of heat into it it becomes very difficult to start.

it takes notions but most times you have to churn the starter for a good 6-10 seconds to get it to go..

don't know whether anyone else has had similar bother?

thanks
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2014 at 10:15pm
Wait, so...

What year?

What model?

What engine (5.7 refers to a Chevy a Ford Windsor would be a 5.8)

Carburetor or Fuel Injection?

If Carbureted, what ignition?
BlueDub View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlueDub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2014 at 8:37pm
Mine is an '83 SN 2001 and it acts like that too. My motor is the Chevy. Interested to hear if anyone has insight on this because the boat works great other than this. It would be nice if I could get it to just pop right away because I always turn it off when skiers are getting in and out of the boat.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2014 at 9:27pm
Kyle, what's your exact scenario?

Like, if you shut if off, then turn it right back on immediately within a few seconds, is it ok?

I ask, because often times a hard warm start has to do with a leaky carb. But, usually, if you turn it right back on immediately, it will be ok. But, if you wait say, 10 minutes, that fuel drip page will start to add up, then you could have a hard time starting back up.
BlueDub View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlueDub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2014 at 10:16pm
Interesting, this is how it is behaving. I did notice some discoloring near the gasket between the carb and intake manifold, is this the type of failure that could be classified as "leaky carb"?
Not ashamed to admit that I just want to ski. That being said, since it pulls me up and runs I have been putting off addressing these things until the off season. It doesn't smell like gas when I open the cover so I haven't been worried too much.
We just bought the boat a little more than a month ago so I am putting together my wish list of things to hammer out this fall. In the meantime skiing every chance I get.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2014 at 11:25pm
Originally posted by BlueDub BlueDub wrote:

Interesting, this is how it is behaving. I did notice some discoloring near the gasket between the carb and intake manifold, is this the type of failure that could be classified as "leaky carb"?

No, you look down the throat after shutdown to see if gas is dribbling.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic