NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

looks like my riser gaskets are leaking

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
Author
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2014 at 2:12pm
JPass:

What you are doing is close to what I did recently. While skiing at Lake Powell in October, my muffler blew out. 1994 boat (351W) so I figured that the muffler didn't owe me much. While installing the exhaust gear, I noticed the tell-tale leaks on the risers. So I decided to replace the gaskets. I was concerned with bolt extraction, so I applied PB Blaster 2X per day for 3 days. To my surprise, the bolts came right out.

Then the fun started. Upon further inspection of the manifolds, I could see where the exhaust manifold bolts were badly corroded and rusted - directly under the riser leak. Can't have that now, can we? So I decided to pull the manifolds and re-work the exhaust system. My problem came with the exhaust manifold bolts. I did the same PB Blaster technique of 2X per day for 3 days. Of the 16 bolts, 12 came out fairly easily. The bolts are 5/16" hex cap bolts. On the 4 stubborn bolts, the corrosion was so bad that the allen key just spun. I used a big Easy-Out and they also came out relatively easy.

As for your question regarding air tools, I've had too many bad experiences with bolts breaking due to over-use/misuse of air tools, so I try to exhaust the "hand" method first.

The biggest challenge I had was cleaning up the surface on the risers and on the manifolds where the gasket mates-up. I also used Permatex on both sides.

I have a question for all you motor-heads: I bought the replacement exhaust manifold bolts from skidim. They appear to be stainless steel. The original bolts were carbon steel. I used a liberal amount of anti-gall / anti-seize during installation, but I'm a little concerned with stainless bolts in a carbon steel block...particularly in a high heat environment. Any thoughts?

Good luck.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2014 at 10:43am
JP, take a smaller hammer and tap lightly on the manifolds where the bolts reside. This will help the penetrating oil get deeper and help loosen up any corrosion in there.

I something like an impact with less torque (small electric) would help to break things loose. A big air impact will just snap the bolts off. Lots of guys like to take a nice file to make sure both surfaces are nice and flat when they go back together.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2014 at 10:39am
J - You might have to clean up the cast iron gasket surfaces.   Mine very very pitted, about 1/2 of the wall was gone.     I used some emory cloth stapled to an oak board to cut it flat. You can use a file too, but it won't cut very easy.

I would tap out the threads while you have it apart. Anti-sieze compound is always a plus for reassembly.

Make sure & position the new gasket so that the lower riser port is blocked.

Happy New Year!

“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2014 at 9:21am
JP,
Just go after the riser gasket problem. Yes on the gasket compound on both sides. I do not recommend silicone.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2014 at 9:13am
Thanks Pete.

So permatex each side of the gasket prior to installation?

I wasn't planning on messing with the manifold. Should I?

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2014 at 9:07am
JP,
There are a couple threads on the subject but pretty basic. The main issue is snapping the bolts off but worse on the manifold to block bolts. Yes on the 50/50 and I'd go by hand with a 6 point socket or box first. Make sure your mating surfaces are flat and obviously clean. I happen to like non hardening Permatex for a gasket compound.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2014 at 8:56am
Back when I posted pics of my ignition swap someone questioned all the rust streaks coming from the riser gaskets.

The recommendation was to repaint the manifolds and look for fresh signs of leakage.

When I was messing with the boat yesterday I noticed some dried water streaks coming from the same area. I'm thinking I need to replace my riser gaskets.

Couldn't find any good How-To's.

I'm going to drop some 50/50 acetone/trans fluid on the bolts today and attempt to remove them New Year's Day.

I have hand, air, and power tools at my disposal. Should I start with hand tools (box wrench or socket)or should I hit the bolts with an impact first (air or electric)?

I know I may wind up having to heat the manifolds up.

Any tips or suggestions would be great. See below pics for new signs of leakage.

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
  Share Topic