NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1973 911 T

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1973 911 T
    Posted: January-29-2015 at 10:43am
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

my 73 911

You have my attention. More on this?

Joel, my 2nd cousin had a 73 911 T that originally came with the mesh o matic or whatever that stupid fake 4 speed was. He had aspirations of restoration when he was younger and rebuild the motor and dumped in a correct 5 speed.

He had kids got divorced worked you know the drill. The car ended up sitting in the same spot as I grew up around it for 13-15 years or so. Was always infatuated by this stick shift silver/primer porsche sitting in the garage. It was a low mileage surprisingly rust free 73 body with Recaro seat option.

At the time my best friend had come into 3-4k over the summer somehow (I forget now). I mowed my great aunts fairly large 2+ acre lawn at the time and worked out a deal for us to have the car if I took care of it no cost for the remaining 3 years of highschool. As soon as we got the go ahead we had to know the brake calipers off to get it to roll. We picked up this little beauty and went to town. Took us about 2 years to completely finish it. It didn't have H4 headlights and looked pretty mundane in its original silver paint so we went with Guards Red against my better judgement of Canary Yellow.

The thing was an absolute blast to drive. It split daily driver duty between Ryan and I in the summers after it was finished. It had AC. We deleted all of the stupid stuff like the Bumprettes on the 73 cars and made it look a bit more true to form. I don't lost a bunch of the pictures on computers long ago but here is one.

The pricing on those cars blew up around 06 when we sold it and we made a profit of about 6500 bucks to split for college money between us (Used mine on a boat haha).

A year after the car was finished my cousin passed away from congestive heart failure but not before he got to drive it again. That was one of the more neat moments of my life thus far. He was fairly passionate about the car but never had the means or time to do it as he would have liked.

I will always remember when I took it out to the house. He and his son were waiting in the driveway. Neither had seen the car since it left the barn a few years before. I rolled up in the driveway and their faces lit up. I jumped out and tossed the keys to Danny and hopped in the back seats. He jumped in the drivers seat and turned that key on the left side just like had time warped 20 years ago. I got to hear a bunch of stories about it as we traversed the roads it traveled way back when. Very cool stuff. There are a couple ok pictures and some people will probably get a good laugh out of high school me in the pictures haha. The dirty work was done at Ryan's dads steel shop but final assembly after paint was handled at our barn (these pictures are in our front garage).

The car also has another interesting story under its belt. Ryan's grandpa is fairly wealthy and collects some pretty serious guns. He gave Ryan a Ruger single 6 .22 wich doesn't sound that impressive. These guns were recalled and a firing pin cover installed that would only let the hammer come in direct contact with the pin if the trigger was pulled. This particular gun hadn't had the recall done because it makes the value of the gun skyrocket over similar pieces.

We had literally just taken the car on its first drive the day before and today after school we were on our way to the pistol range. Ryan had the gun in his lap messing around with some rounds and had the cylinder out making sure they all went in and out properly as it hadn't been shot in some time. He put the loaded cylinder back in and set the gun on safety cock and holstered it.

Right after he holstered it it fired. Nothing seemed to be wrong other than it went off and we were stopped at a light. When the light turned the roadway was just slightly wet at the bottom of the hill after a rain storm. Ryan noticed a little grey circle on his athletic shorts and pulled his shorts up to discover that's where the bullet had entered his leg!!!

He flipped out but I remained fairly cool. After we got straight and a car turned in front of us he was like Stab it (the hospital was on the way to the gun range conveniently ha).

Mind you, I had quite a bit of seat time in higher horsepower cars by the age I was. I dropped the hammer but with the tires still wet and the engine in the back (not having any seat time in a rear engine Porsche) I spun it 90 degrees and almost smashed the fresh bumper on the curb. I saw traffic coming to my left and my friend bleeding to death (We thought at the time haha). I backed up in the direction I wished to be traveling and did a rockford style slide in mid day traffic and continued on my way.

We got to the hospital and the cop on duty informed us that he had called off the chase as we were called in for reckless driving hahaha. He said well we probably have a pretty good reason to which Ryan replied self inflicted gunshot wound! Cop said ok lets get you a wheelchair haha.

Basically all they did was clean it and put a bandaid on it since the bulled had turned to shrapnel when it went through the holster. Only reason we got caught was because we were 15 minutes late for dinner at his parents. They actually damaged his leg more trying to remove the bullet later on without success.

I hope someday to build an RS clone out of a long nose car but the prices on 911s are downright insane right now.

phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2015 at 11:00am
Forgot to mention, the engine was built to S spec when re assembled which took it from 140 hp to 180 hp with much higher compression pistons. I think everything else was the same.

Some rich kid in town had a new boxter in 05 bought for him by his parents. He though he was a real tough guy. I quickly learned him that a boxter was not a real Porsche and the 911 still reigned supreme over his boxter ha.

Also had a super nice 73 914 (same color silver) but it had frame rust issues someone else had tried to cover up. It was a shame because the car was freakin beautiful (if you can look past the ugly and slowness of a 914 4 cylinder ha). I feel the same way about the 914 as I do the boxter.

The 911 had Bosch fuel injection and ran nicely. It was way too tall in the front I so I slammed the ground with torsion bar adjustment.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2015 at 11:49am
oh come on who hasn't shot them self in a porsche
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2015 at 11:58am
Everyone should try it at least once in their life.
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2015 at 1:05pm
Cool story. I've been watching and reading about how Porsches are a hot item these days. Can't believe what they are going for at auction.

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2015 at 2:15pm
Yea, we sold that one with fresh paint and a mostly new interior (rust free body) for 11,500 in 06. Now it would be worth every bit of 35k as it sat.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2015 at 2:22pm
Just about anything that us baby boomers wanted but couldn't have is worth some bucks today, I should have got a couple of 356's when in high school
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2015 at 2:56pm
No kidding those little dudes are sky high.
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2015 at 3:10pm
My father had two 912, wish I had one of them now.

Used to always let me shift from the passenger seat, fun stuff for a 9 year old kid

1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2015 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

I hesitate to say, "Pics or it didn't happen" but no one wants to any of that anyway. Zach you kill me, probably the most interesting life in IN!
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2015 at 6:18pm
Hahahhaha, doesn't feel that interesting Steve.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2015 at 6:27pm
Great story Zach. Just like putting a battery on wood, I was taught a long time ago to only holster a loaded revolver with the hammer on an empty chamber, whether its been updated or not. Glad you guys are laughing about it!
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2015 at 6:44pm
Yeah haha! I am pretty stickler on gun safety. I don't mess with them much but weather I know for a fact one is or isn't loaded it always gets opened up to confirm yes or no any time I pick it up. I mostly play with shot guns but I have a couple cool hand guns that never see the light of day and aren't loaded primarily because it's hard to find 357 rounds.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2015 at 6:52pm
I had a friend in high school that had a new 1974 914. I've never cared for Porches, but that car was fun to drive. A lot of people considered them glorified VWs back then.
Smithfamily View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2015 at 6:57pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Or someone else......
Js
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2015 at 8:27pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

Yea, we sold that one with.......mostly new interior

If a hand gun went off in my car I suspect I would need a mostly new interior Probably I would say "it" and do "it" at the same time.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2015 at 9:27pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

A lot of people considered them glorified VWs back then.

That's because they were Bruce. VW which is the parent company backed out of the agreement. VW was to sell the 4 cylinder model that used a type IV 411 engine and the Porsche model was the 914/6 with a 911 engine. 914/6's were not sold in the numbers the 4 was,so naturally the law of supply and demand apply
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2015 at 9:39am
The 4 banger 914s are pooch city when it comes to speed. The 911 was no barn burner but it got out of its own way.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic