NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

#2 trailer

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: #2 trailer
    Posted: February-21-2015 at 4:21am
Looking for a #2. Fenders and running gear need not be present or can be damaged/worn out. I'm not looking for one with the frame U channels badly rusted or bent. I know, I gave one away a year ago, stupid me. Bow stop & guides a plus, but not necessary. I have a trailer I can get it home on if it's not roadworthy.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2015 at 9:28am
John, what for?
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2015 at 11:39am
There's still the one in Northern Indiana for sale for $600. Check this page out under Mustang Trailer..
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2015 at 12:38pm
John, I'm still curious why you're looking for another- something wrong with the one you have?

I couldn't quite decipher Dave's post so I went digging... I think this is the one he's referring to:

http://correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=35249&title=mustang-trailer-for-sale

That's a real fair price on a nice looking trailer. Clue us in on what your plan is and we can comment. The late 70's version shown here would have the same frame shape as a late 60's trailer, but there are some other differences. Accessories like the fenders, bowstop and guide poles, the coupler is a different style too. It has an axle with the 3500 lb (5-lug only) spindles. The cross members for the fenders extend further as well. Mostly minor stuff (and it might still be a worthwhile endeavor to convert it to a 1970 lookalike) but there's a little more involved. If that's your plan, drop me a line- I've done a few late 60's/early 70's trailers in the last few years.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2015 at 12:58pm
This may give some a good laugh. I was thinking of using it as a cradle on my Shore Station. Mine is configured for an O/B or I/O. With some welding the trailer frame could be converted to replace the existing cradle and retain approximately the same elevation as what I have now. My options seem to be this plan, or cutting the rear cross member and putting a drop in it to accommodate the running gear. I think it may be kinda cute and maybe even practical. It would involve cutting the trailer up however so I prefer one in fair to poor condition. Another option is to build carpeted wood bunks with a bow stop and guides. Crazy idea? Well, I hatched it so probably. Wiring the tail lights with some submersible LEDs would make a nighttime approach easy.

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2015 at 1:11pm
We've got a perfect trailer for that. It's from a '74 and has slight bends in the frame near the tongue, but nothing that affects how it tows or performs. $300.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2015 at 1:11pm
John,
Besides wasting a rare 60's CC trailer, I feel you would put in about the same work as just modifying your lift bunk system. Didn't I post the picture of how I did mine?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2015 at 1:19pm
Yes Pete, cutting the rear I-beam and having a drop welded in was your solution, and probably the best one at that. This is just an idea to cute it up a bit. I don't think a beat up #2 is worth much of anything. I originally posted my spare here for $200 and no one wanted it so I slashed the price to what I thought was fair, $0,00, just like the asking price for the SS hull. Still no one wanted to make the trip to pick up either so I gave the trailer away and took the SS hull to the landfill. I believe more trailers have survived than boats and I wouldn't cut up a nice one. Mine has been modified but is in good- condition needing a paint job.

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2015 at 1:22pm
A bunk kit is like $300 and all you'd need to do is bolt it on.
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2015 at 1:22pm
The thing would rot to dust in no time.. Pls don't do that to an original CC trailer !!
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2015 at 1:23pm
John,
I didn't do any welding on the lift. The fabricated drop was bolted on and I even used the same bolting to fasten the "I" beam bunks. I did the aft cross member cutting when the lift was in the water with a corded Sawsall and that was before GFCI's!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2015 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

John,
I didn't do any welding on the lift. The fabricated drop was bolted on and I even used the same bolting to fasten the "I" beam bunks. I did the aft cross member cutting when the lift was in the water with a corded Sawsall and that was before GFCI's!!

That is living on the edge without a doubt Pete.

Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2015 at 1:30pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

in the water with a corded Sawsall and that was before GFCI's!!

Pete gets the biggest cojones award.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2015 at 1:55pm
Ha. We had a steel lift for a while... It got passed around to a few neighbors on our lake- it didn't age well. Sounds like more trouble than it's worth- and potentially a waste of a perfectly good trailer. I'd modify the lift and save the extra effort for getting the Mustang back on the water. ;)
turningpoint84 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2015 at 11:54am
John,
Excited to drive by your contraption next summer haha.

Proud 1968 mustang owner and now
1970 Mustang
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic