NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1965 Nautique Update

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
Author
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2018 at 11:57pm
She is a beauty.
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2018 at 12:27am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

In 65, I wonder if CC was still using copper line from the tank to the engine? If so, they would have used a valve with one end for a flare . Then from the valve to the pump would have been a flex hose assembly.

This is exactly the way Dad's is set up. The valve is right next to the stringer across from the oil filter.
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2018 at 10:58am
Very nice indeed
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2018 at 11:15am
Perko make a barbed fitting with a ball valve that you can install in place of an anti syphon valve. We've used one on one of our boats that I thought the anti syphon valve was causing a problem.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2018 at 12:17pm
Phil,
Since Bruce mentioned the anti siphon, unless someone added one at the tank, I doubt you will find one. Certainly a great idea to add if it's not there.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
70CC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70CC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2018 at 1:06pm
I really appreciate the discussion!

Pete, I just checked the original tank and you are right, there is no anti siphon valve connected to the gas tank pick-up tube.   

Do you know when the factory started installing these?    
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2018 at 1:25pm
Copper tubes with a valves seem to have been used throughout the 60's and into the 70's. Not sure when exactly when anti syphon valves became required. We've replaced the copper tubing and valves with 3/8" fuel line and anti syphon valves in all the old boats we've done. Our Cuda has the barbed fitting with the ball valve as we were having starving for fuel issues and I wanted eliminate the anti syphon valve. I probably should have just put an ordinary barbed fitting in as we've never used the valve. Probably no one else but me knows it's even there.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2018 at 1:36pm
Phil,
Just as Bruce mentioned, I believe it was the early 70's when anti siphons became standard.

The early boating industry became very aware of problems with gas in the bilge combined with an ignition source. Before the advent of the engine with a fuel pump, gravity feeds to carbs were used which meant that the tank pick ups were on the bottom of the tank. If you developed any leak, everything in the tank ended up in the bilge! My 1915 launch with the 1927 engine is that way.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2018 at 1:54pm
The boats I’ve dissected would suggest that transition from copper tubing and shut off valves to anti siphons on CC’s was ‘68-69. I haven’t encountered any of the former on my 70+ boats. I’m fairly certain they were absent on the 69 and some of the 68’s as well.
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2018 at 6:26pm
Nice work and nice Boat. Now I am starting to wonder if my Marauder is safely equipped!
The things one learns here never cease to amaze me.
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski
70CC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70CC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2020 at 7:10pm
Making a little progress on getting the 65 back together. I'm using the original oil/trans cooler and remote oil filter. Hooked up the cooler to pump and filled with water to check for leaks before hooking up the new cooling lines.

Here's a pic of the oil lines exiting the block, routing to the filter (outside of element), then inside port of filter routes to the front section of the cooler, then back to the block.

Adapter plate also shown to illustrate that the "lower" fitting is the output of the oil pump.

Next, I'll connect the transmission lines. Getting to the oil/trans cooler fittings would be tough if the exhaust manifold was in place!

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2020 at 7:13pm
Phil,
I had been thinking about the 65 project and was going to ask you how things were going. Looking great. keep the progress going.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2020 at 2:13pm
My favorite boat on forum of course. Beautiful
Please post pics and info on that ‘all’ original specimen you found
Awesome
70CC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70CC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2020 at 12:57pm
Thanks guys. Here's one more after the trans cooling lines were installed.

How's the 67 coming along?
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2020 at 1:15pm
Looking great, Phil. How about some full engine shots? I'd test that oil system. I know of 2 different people that hooked it up wrong on FEs and damaged the engine.
70CC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70CC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2020 at 6:09pm
Let me get a few more things bolted on...

I remember we discussed the oil system in the P.M. If you look at the two earlier pictures of the adapter and the hose routing, does that look correct to you? I should have the output of the pump (lower fitting on the adapter) going to the outside of the filter.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2020 at 7:47pm
Phil, I can't tell by the photo. I do have in my notes that when looking at the block, oil goes returns to the engine on the left and oil comes out and goes to filter on right.
67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2020 at 10:49pm
Oh my goodness that engine detail is unbelievable
Show boat
Damn. More pics
70CC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70CC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2020 at 4:49pm
No question I want to get the oil lines hooked up right!

I got the 65 as a basket case without an engine so I don't really have a good baseline. I did buy a complete motor out of a 65 Century and marked the hoses with tape when I disassembled it, but oil soaked through the tape and made the markings unreadable.

Pretty sure I have it right, and the hoses fit properly, but appreciate any comments.
70CC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70CC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2020 at 5:36pm
Turning my attention to the stern...

There were no bilge vents or blower originally installed on the boat (despite the 64 Brochure stating two bilge vents to be standard equipment.).   I picked up a nice used pair of chrome cowl vents at a swap meet and ordered an inline 3" blower from Nautique Parts.

I've been dragging my feet cutting the 3 inch holes in the rear deck but finally mustered the courage yesterday. I drilled a pilot hole first, then ran the hole saw backward to score through the gelcoat, then finished the hole in the normal direction. Not sure this was necessary, but I did not experience any chipping of the gelcoat using this technique.

With the vents and clearance bar installed, it's time to hook up the exhaust hoses and then install the gas tank.

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2020 at 6:20pm
Looking great Phil. Don't leave any sharp holes in the gel like this- I I   do this instead \   /.
A sharp edge will crack and you will eventually see a crack coming out from what you attached. On those vent holes you could use a dremel tool . Tape everything off so you don't slip
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2020 at 6:40pm
Vents installed already?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2020 at 6:53pm
Phil,
Yup, looking great. Keep it going.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2020 at 7:47pm
WOW....big WOW!

I especially like the audible you called on the vinyl flooring. GREAT idea!
70CC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70CC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2020 at 11:59am
More drilling...

skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2020 at 12:09pm
Phil - Looks really good. Are you going to try and recreate the original graphics?
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2020 at 12:09pm
Looks beautiful, Phil! Keep those photos coming.
70CC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70CC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2020 at 12:32pm
Steve, I don't believe my boat had any graphics, just a boot stripe. Good time to post some "before" photos that the P.O. gave me before he dismantled the boat.

The non-original 427 pictured was retained by the P.O. to go in a street rod. He basically bought the boat to get the motor, was going to fix up the boat, then lost interest...

The grey panel on the dash is a piece of weathered wood veneer that someone added a long time ago. The 70's era dash mounted ski mirror is for sale.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2020 at 12:46pm
Phil,
Keep the mirror or are you replacing it with another?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2020 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by 70CC 70CC wrote:

. The 70's era dash mounted ski mirror is for sale.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
  Share Topic