Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fuel Pump-Carburetor question

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
tootall1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tootall1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fuel Pump-Carburetor question
    Posted: May-23-2015 at 3:36pm
I have a 1974 Ski Nautique that has a 351 Windsor engine with a Holley Carburetor. My fuel pump went to the bad as evidenced by verification that gas was getting to the fuel pump properly but not being pumped out.

In getting ready to order a new fuel pump, I see that my fuel pump does not have a sight glass tube on it and neither does my carburetor have a connection for a sight tube. Does anyone know if the 1974 models did not have this safety feature?

My question also is, what do I do now? If I buy a new fuel pump, it must have a sight tube hookup so that would mean a new carburetor, right?

Any suggestions? If so, where to buy and what to buy?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2015 at 3:44pm
It might not but it also depends on the engine conversion,some had a sight glass on the pump and yours might have been changed already anyway. The sight tube connects to the flame arrester, I will get a pic up later on how I converted mine
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2015 at 4:03pm
The '74's did not have the tube or the bowl.

Post a few pics.   I too have a '74
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2015 at 5:01pm

Not much to it won't know until the diaphram fails if it works. Last one went 40
years before I decided to rebuild pump
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
tootall1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tootall1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2015 at 5:03pm
Well, I'm worried that maybe I've not been as safe as I would like to have been.   I also don't see a marine fuel pump without the connection to go to the carburetor by way of a sight tube.
How do I hook this up now?

tootall1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tootall1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2015 at 5:05pm

Great picture...Thanks. I guess the idea is to flood the engine out with gas if the fuel pump starts leaking?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2015 at 6:45pm
That and to put it somewhere "safe" rather than the crankcase or bilge.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
tootall1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tootall1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2015 at 5:08pm
Well to be absolutely safe, it appears from your pictures that some of the gas sent up the sight tube might not go into the carburetor but might spill out through the flame arrestor onto the motor. That would worry me.

I think I'll put another carburetor and fuel pump on to be absolutely safe.. How do I find which carburetor I have? I see some numbers but nothing that looks like a carb number.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic