Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nautique 196: Replacing starter motor

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
bewap View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bewap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nautique 196: Replacing starter motor
    Posted: May-27-2015 at 7:10pm
Btw, I used a marine grade starter supplied by PCM due to safety reasons.
bewap View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bewap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2015 at 7:09pm
Thank you for your reaction. In the meantime I replaced the starter. Besides the corrosion it was also worn out.
It is now starting a lot faster. For accessing I removed the heat exchanger. This was enough to access the starter.
scootdogydog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scootdogydog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2015 at 12:01pm
use sandpaper or a wire brush to clean the corrosion on the terminals and wires. Once that connection is good, you shouldn't need to replace any parts if it is just corrosion..
1999 Python
1980 Ski Tique
1968 Mustang WIP
bewap View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bewap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2015 at 6:17pm
Dear all,

Currently I have an issue with my starter motor of my Ski Nautique 196 (pcm pro boss 5.8). It is making a bad contact with one of the electrical wires. This is caused by corrosion. Unfortunately I can not reconnect it due to this corrosion. But holding by hand the starter works fine.

I was reading the PCM workshop manual. But I have still some questions. And maybe somebody at this forum can help me.
-What is the best way to replace? Remove the exhaust manifold? Or is better solution possible?
-I expect I the following part: PCM RA122001. Or is a standard Ford 351 starter also ok?

Thank you all for your help!

Regards, Eric
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic