Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sputtering out after high speeds

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
camron18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote camron18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2015 at 3:39pm
so this weekend we took the boat out. after wakeboarding for a few hours we brought the boat back to the dock to empty the fat sacs for skiing. took about 30 min or so. after about an hour we got back in the boat for some slalom. after 15 more min i pulled my friend out of the water just fine and was getting up to speed, at about 25 mph it would just misfire and wouldn't let me go any faster. this happened every time we tried to accelerate past 25. it will hold at 25 and run perfectly normally, but anything past 25 it misses badly, i am new to slalom and it was my first time out for the season, so i just wanted to practice getting up, after a few attempts i got up and the boat ran perfect i got a few passes in at 36 mph, we swapped skiers and we got a few more passes in, and once again out of no where it started missing and we went back down to 25. ill try to get some pics today. but it seems to be getting worse.

any suggestions?

electrical?

Fuel?

Spark plugs?
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2015 at 2:01pm
Pictures would be valuable here.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
camron18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote camron18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2015 at 1:01pm
so to answer your question, im not really sure. there is a distributor, so i guess points. but the spark plugs don't plug into the distributor, there is a wire harness that attaches to the distributor that runs to some kind of coil maybe? and then the spark plugs attach to that.
camron18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote camron18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2015 at 12:22pm
it was originally electronic fuel injection, but was converted to carb by the previous owner. maybe that could have something to do with it?
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2015 at 12:18pm
Is it points or electronic ignition?

My finger would point towards the coil or the ignition pickup (if it is electronic) getting hot from the higher spark rate then cooling back down after it runs lower rpms for a while.
camron18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote camron18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2015 at 12:10pm
I have a 1994 hydrodyne with a pcm 351. so i run it at full throttle, it tops out at about 40 ish. then i come back down to idle for a little. when i start giving it gas again it sputters out, at about 20 and cant get going faster than that. after cruising around for about 15-20 min it seems fine again and runs like normal. It seems like it might be starving for something or loosing a cylinder. its not a big deal, i just wont go full thottle anymore. skier speed seems to be just fine, and the lake is so small it take about 5 seconds to get across the lake at full thottle anyway. just want to know what is causing it. thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic