Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sputtering out after high speeds

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
camron18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote camron18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sputtering out after high speeds
    Posted: May-29-2015 at 12:10pm
I have a 1994 hydrodyne with a pcm 351. so i run it at full throttle, it tops out at about 40 ish. then i come back down to idle for a little. when i start giving it gas again it sputters out, at about 20 and cant get going faster than that. after cruising around for about 15-20 min it seems fine again and runs like normal. It seems like it might be starving for something or loosing a cylinder. its not a big deal, i just wont go full thottle anymore. skier speed seems to be just fine, and the lake is so small it take about 5 seconds to get across the lake at full thottle anyway. just want to know what is causing it. thanks
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2015 at 12:18pm
Is it points or electronic ignition?

My finger would point towards the coil or the ignition pickup (if it is electronic) getting hot from the higher spark rate then cooling back down after it runs lower rpms for a while.
camron18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote camron18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2015 at 12:22pm
it was originally electronic fuel injection, but was converted to carb by the previous owner. maybe that could have something to do with it?
camron18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote camron18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2015 at 1:01pm
so to answer your question, im not really sure. there is a distributor, so i guess points. but the spark plugs don't plug into the distributor, there is a wire harness that attaches to the distributor that runs to some kind of coil maybe? and then the spark plugs attach to that.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2015 at 2:01pm
Pictures would be valuable here.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
camron18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote camron18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2015 at 3:39pm
so this weekend we took the boat out. after wakeboarding for a few hours we brought the boat back to the dock to empty the fat sacs for skiing. took about 30 min or so. after about an hour we got back in the boat for some slalom. after 15 more min i pulled my friend out of the water just fine and was getting up to speed, at about 25 mph it would just misfire and wouldn't let me go any faster. this happened every time we tried to accelerate past 25. it will hold at 25 and run perfectly normally, but anything past 25 it misses badly, i am new to slalom and it was my first time out for the season, so i just wanted to practice getting up, after a few attempts i got up and the boat ran perfect i got a few passes in at 36 mph, we swapped skiers and we got a few more passes in, and once again out of no where it started missing and we went back down to 25. ill try to get some pics today. but it seems to be getting worse.

any suggestions?

electrical?

Fuel?

Spark plugs?
spiralhelix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2015 at 4:22pm
Is this still the same problem that started the thread or did that resolve and this is now a different issue? Pics would definitely help.

Have you checked timing? are the advance weights moving or are they stuck?
After that, check the pipeline of spark from coil to plugs. Though it might be redundant to check spark from coil, pretty simple to rule it out.

Originally posted by camron18 camron18 wrote:

it was originally electronic fuel injection, but was converted to carb by the previous owner. maybe that could have something to do with it?

how does the fuel look when squirting into the carb? was the carb brand new, rebuilt, crusty junk pulled off the shelf?

camron18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote camron18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2015 at 5:27pm
same issue that started this thread. it seems to be happening more often now and i would really like to fix it.

carb was brand new as far as i know. ill check how fuel looks, i think im just going to go ahead and change out spark plugs

what do you mean by check the pipeline of spark fom coil to plugs?

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2015 at 5:34pm
pictures.

now.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2015 at 5:56pm
lol HW.

pipeline: I just mean, test the spark coming from the coil, then test the spark from each plug wire, then test the plugs themselves. The spark should be the same along each path. For instance, when I was testing my ignition, we did each wire, then the plug on the wire and when I got to #5 wire it was similar, but the plug had a different spark. replaced all the plugs and was back on track.
camron18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote camron18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2015 at 6:42pm
here are the pics! LOL every one loves pictures.

it doesn't seem like there is any advance mechanism under the disturber cap. so posiably whatever advances is going bad?

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2015 at 6:46pm
Yeah that's a protec setup, its going bad and very likely the cause of your issue.   A new ignition system will probably be your best bet. Do a site search on protec ignition failure or replacement to learn more.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2015 at 6:47pm
ill have to gracefully bow out here. I have no clue with that setup. but im sure someone else does. I'm intrigued though. Is that like a coil for every two plugs?
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2015 at 6:54pm
Yes. That goes in the garbage and a distributor gets installed.
camron18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote camron18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2015 at 7:46pm
Yeah it looks like that is exactly what it is after researching pro-tech ignition!!

Thanks a lot guys! i guess ill have to toss it.

any suggestions on what distributor? id really like to not spend too much.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2015 at 11:32am
Originally posted by camron18 camron18 wrote:

id really like to not spend too much.

well duh, not too many people do like to over spend but there are good better best options
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2015 at 11:46am
Ebasic power shows a couple options in RH for distributors from 190-360 - you will also need a matching coil and maybe a ballast resistor depending on your choice. Don't throw away the gear on the bottom of that distributor type thingy yet until you find out if the RH options are actually available.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2015 at 12:06pm
I have no reason to believe his 94 Hydrodyne is not a LH engine.

Post up the engine model number. Starts with a P. There should be a black and white metal tag bolted on the top of the engine.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2015 at 12:13pm
Definitely too many epoxy fumes over this way... there probably isn't such a thing as a RH protec in any boat
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
camron18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote camron18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2015 at 2:48pm
what i ment was the good option is probably all i need.

any reason why a used one on ebay would be a bad idea?
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2015 at 3:09pm
you're also going to need new wires as well. I'd say spend the money and get a whole new set-up (wires, dizzy, and coil). Don't waste time with used stuff from eBay.

It should cost less than $500 if you install it yourself.

Skidim has a replacement kit Here

We also get a discount for being a CCFan member. Should help with the cost.

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2015 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

Definitely too many epoxy fumes over this way... there probably isn't such a thing as a RH protec in any boat

Randy in ohio could probably tell us... Pretty sure he has a RH 1:1 proboss/protec in his '93 Sport.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2015 at 3:55pm
Did Mullin's RH scrappy come with ProTec? I know he changed distributors after ownership.

I'm guessing the 240hp RH engines got distributors
[QUOTE=SneakyPete">I have a 93 Ski Nautique Standard with a RH 351 and the 1:1 tranny. It does not have a protec.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2015 at 4:00pm
Randy has a distributor.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2015 at 4:05pm
Nope, mine came with a two wire Prestolite Electronic distributor.
camron18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote camron18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2015 at 7:48pm
happened found a guy parting out a 1993 pcm in my area on craigslist!! the whole shebang for $100! that should work right?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2015 at 9:25pm
Probably not. It'll either have the same problematic ignition system or one with a gear meant for an engine with the opposite rotation as yours. Most likely the former, in which case I wouldn't pay $5 for it.
camron18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote camron18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2015 at 12:18am
It is not the protec system, and it is left handed, same as mine. Normal distributor with coil and ballast resistor plug wires and wiring harness
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2015 at 4:21pm
Also sounds like water in the gas. would rule that out as well.   
xarmypilot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xarmypilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2015 at 4:59pm
Originally posted by shierh shierh wrote:

Also sounds like water in the gas. would rule that out as well.   

It's worth looking into, but since it sounds like it runs normally at idle and there's no indication of white smoke, I'd say the likely culprits would be ignition, fuel or fuel\air mixture.

'87 SN 2001
'68 Chris~Craft Grand Prix (Past family boat)
'72 Checkmate Mx16 (Past family boat)

"Speed is life, altitude is life insurance"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic