Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sputtering out after high speeds

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
camron18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote camron18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2015 at 5:46pm
After reading about protec problems, and how common they are. I'm pretty convinced that is it, especially because it only does it sometimes. I will look into that tho. Thank you

I think I'm going to buy the used kit from Craigslist, any reason I. Shouldn't?
spiralhelix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2015 at 6:20pm
the generic answer is that you would most likely be buying a used item and therefore buying something with a shortened life span. But that is also relative as used items could still last forever (or outlive the thing they are going into). You won't know until you do it. At least with a new item, there is a greater potential to rectify a problem on someone else's dime. To me, I'd take the risk from CL at the price you quoted above. If you get a year out of it and it fails...you aren't out that much. If a used one was only a couple hundred less than new...i'd get new.
camron18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote camron18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2015 at 6:26pm
Thanks! That's what I was thinking. Save a couple hundred and go with the risk. He says it works great and all boxed up ready for me already!
camron18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote camron18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2015 at 5:38pm
Well I think I may have found the problem. Today I took the dyne out. Whipped around a couple laps, it then began to sputter at 2500 rpm in limp mode. I pulled the wire off of the protec oil switch and water temp switch. Shut the engine off to reset the computer. Fired it back up and whipped around the lake again. Never went into limp mode. Ran perfect the whole time. Plugged back in the water switch and it ran perfect still plugged in the oil switch and it still ran perfect. It seemed to idle and run better overall with the oil switch dissconected. The post on the oil switch was very loose and felt broke. I think that was the problem, for now anyways. I'll order a new switch from skidim and see what happens.

Save 500 bucks if it goes well.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2015 at 6:00pm
Cool! Let us know if that fixes it.
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2015 at 12:22am
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

Yeah that's a protec setup, its going bad and very likely the cause of your issue.   A new ignition system will probably be your best bet. Do a site search on protec ignition failure or replacement to learn more.

+1 on a ProTech system failing. Time for a new Davis Unified Ignition HEI distributor set-up.
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic