Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

I need a reverse rotation ford 302 dist

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Deadbolt24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadbolt24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I need a reverse rotation ford 302 dist
    Posted: June-02-2015 at 7:19pm
I'm looking for a Mallory YLM512DV Distributor for my Mercruiser 225 hp Ford 302 ci in my old PennYan boat .
I've been looking for 4 years and I just missed the one on here (this site) back in April 15 for 140.00 and I would have paid more for it but seems I never search when someone has one for sale. haven't figured out the timing thing yetmeaning looking when there is one for sale. so please if any one knows of one or the reverse gear for mine ( has a chipped tooth and don't trust it going back in .I might in a car but not in a boat or a plane)
PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF YOU OR YOUR NEIGHBOR HAS ONE LAYING AROUND AND WANTS TO MAKE A COUPLE BUCKS SELLING IT.) Thanks
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2015 at 10:21pm
I could be wrong on this, someone will correct me if so, but I don't think there are reverse rotation distributors. I think they all turn the same way. I think the difference is the gear at the bottom of the shaft which is fairly easily interchangeable, so you need a regular (marine) distributor but a "reverse rotation gear" for it.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2015 at 11:37pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

I could be wrong on this, someone will correct me if so, but I don't think there are reverse rotation distributors. I think they all turn the same way. I think the difference is the gear at the bottom of the shaft which is fairly easily interchangeable, so you need a regular (marine) distributor but a "reverse rotation gear" for it.

Larry,
You are correct.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadbolt24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2015 at 12:57am
the cam shaft and gear is what is different and the Mallory number is the one I want as it is a electronic and the gears of which I have purchased one from Prestolite either the shaft size is incorrect or the pin size is wrong and it being made of ductile iron which is very easy to screw up so its hard and expensive to modify. so that is why I ask for the whole distributor preferably.
wish I had of been here to get that one that was sold here.   YLM512DV    and the mallory gear number is 64025   or 9-26823

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadbolt24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2015 at 1:05am
How would you like me to word the title to make it clear what I am looking for. I am a mechanic and know all about motors as I have built and modified 100's I just need the whole distributor as I have gone the change the gear route and I want to get a decent non modified electronic distributor is all or a good points one that has a good shaft with good bushings so no wobble that I can convert to electronic. I do hope I've done a better job of explaining what I am looking for. Thank You.
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2015 at 11:03am
So none of these will work.? SKIDIM
66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2015 at 11:23am
yup, 82208 seems appropiate
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2015 at 3:28pm
Years ago i sent both mallory YL's out of my last boat back to mallory to have them overhauled., bushings, springs etc.   was very cheep as i remember.   THey will likely have what you need.   
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2015 at 4:01pm
I htink mr gasket owns mallory now, but they are still responsive liek Steve sez
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2015 at 8:00pm
Originally posted by Deadbolt24 Deadbolt24 wrote:

I have purchased one from Prestolite either the shaft size is incorrect or the pin size is wrong

"ether"?? What did the micrometer tell you?
Originally posted by Deadbolt24 Deadbolt24 wrote:

and it being made of ductile iron which is very easy to screw up so its hard and expensive to modify.

Any HSS tooling will handle the ductile. Typically all that's needed is to ream for the pin. I have run across taper pins so then you need a taper reamer.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KeithN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KeithN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2022 at 1:03pm
We have reverse engine rotation distributors for Ford, Chev and Chrysler at closeout prices. aaamarine.com
Keith
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2022 at 8:50pm
After looking at your website, I'm kinda curious.

What happens on 10/2/22?

I guess I really don't expect an answer since you haven't answered a question yet in any of your previous posts but there's always a chance.

Surprise me Wink
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2022 at 9:44am
I have a box of distributors at the shop. both chebby and ford. there may be a 302 in that box. dont know if its left or right but you could always change the gear.
ill look tomorrow.
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
KeithN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KeithN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2022 at 10:10am
We have the reverse engine rotation distributor, and it's an HEI (none finer)
Keith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadbolt24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2022 at 10:49am
Thank you everyone,
I found the distributor I needed and all is well. So on to the next project which is a Datsun 280Z with a first gen 350 lt1 SBC in it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadbolt24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2022 at 3:47pm
Thank you everyone for your help. I have found what I was looking for. This is a great site please keep up the great work.
Mille1sj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mille1sj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2022 at 11:16pm
I haven’t been active lately on the site, but wanted to add that I do still have a few composite distributor gears left that will fit the ford 302 reverse rotation, they can also be drilled out to fit the 351 shaft diameter.
BC1982 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BC1982 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2022 at 2:42pm
I'm brand new here and recently purchased an '82 Mustang that I'm working on getting back to running order. I've been looking everywhere for a reverse rotation distributor gear. I'd gladly pay to take one off your hands if you have an extra.
Mille1sj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mille1sj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2023 at 5:39pm
I still have some available. I sent you a message today. Feel free to call or respond through the message.
Nautiquehunter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2023 at 6:22am
I have a reverse 351 distributor I just removed it last week . I will be testing this week if all goes well with sea trials it will be available.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2023 at 6:57am
Originally posted by Nautiquehunter Nautiquehunter wrote:

I have a reverse 351 distributor I just removed it last week . I will be testing this week if all goes well with sea trials it will be available.

A 351w distributor doesn't fit in a 302 

The gear isn't interchangeable either because the shafts are different diameters and the 351 gear would be kinda on the sloppy side.Wink

302 shaft .467 inches

351 shaft .531 inches

That's roughly 1/16 inch of slop

I suppose the gear could be sleeved down to fit with the right equipment
BC1982 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BC1982 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2023 at 12:56pm
Thanks for the message. I ended up having a local machine shop make one for me (your price is much better). I may still decide to purchase one from you to hold as a spare in case I need it in the future.
Mille1sj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mille1sj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2023 at 6:38pm
No problem, reach out any time if you need one.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic