Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Strange Noises

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
spiralhelix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Strange Noises
    Posted: June-04-2015 at 2:30am
I'm getting a couple strange noises...think I've narrowed down one of them, but the other has me more concerned that i could potentially be doing damage to the motor. Thoughts on anything you hear would be appreciated.

The sound I'm more concerned with can be heard after i get the RPMs up to around 1800-2000 and when I back off you can definitely hear it before it goes away. In the second video I keep the engine around 2000-2250 sustained to try and keep the noise going. A friend thinks it is a vacuum leak. I have sprayed carb cleaner around the base of the carb and base of the spacer and there are no changes to the RPMs. I'm hoping you can confirm the leak theory or at least give some reassurance that the engine isn't being damaged. But don't be shy if this is not good thing.

Video 1
can be first heard around 25 secs. then 36 seconds and finally at 42 and 44 secs.

Video 2
starts at 8 seconds and is sustained until 18 seconds when it starts to "bounce" in and out.

I've gone through a lot with this boat/engine over the last couple weeks and this final noise is stressing me out.

Just for history, not sure if it helps with a Dx. The carb has been rebuilt, new carb gaskets, new plugs, new wires, new dizzy parts (cap, rotor, points, condenser), new VC gaskets, new Ex. Manifold gaskets, new impeller, new fuel filter 2014, new riser gaskets 2014, oil change at the end of last season (checked and verified there is plenty of oil), changed transmission fluid (three cycles, dipstick has nice clean red fluid), Points set at 0.018 (tried to check dwell, but the meter i think is a little past it's prime and would kill the engine when connected...and yes it was connected correctly), timing is set to 10º BTDC at 650 rpms (however, this has been set at idle and not in gear since it is in the garage, but will be reset once I get it back down to the water tomorrow), full tank of fresh gas.

Thanks for any help you may be able to provide.

-Spiral
mamigacz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mamigacz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2015 at 9:43am
It sounds like your transmission is starting to spin at higher RPMs (in neutral). Does it make the same noise when its in the water, or only on the trailer?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2015 at 10:57am
I originally thought the same thing. But the transmission is in neutral during the tests and there is no movement of the shaft/propeller. Also the noise is tough to pinpoint the location, but most times it seems like it is coming more from the front. We first noticed this particular sound this past Saturday when it was in the water at the dock, but last night was on the trailer. Sat, we idled out to the channel and then slowly increased the throttle, the transmission aspect seemed normal. But, I will disconnect the cable in a couple hours and make sure it is in neutral and try again.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2015 at 11:27am
To minimize possibilities, I think take both belts off and run it for a 30 seconds.

May help you get closer to a resolution
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2015 at 11:29am
My guess is a belt driven accessory. First try taking a very large screwdriver or a metal rod and touching it to what you want to listen to,ie raw water pump,alternator or circulation pump then press the other end to your head. Sounds like a bearing to me should be able to tell what it's coming from with the screwdriver.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2015 at 12:03pm
Excellent ideas all! I had not ruled out it being associated with the belts. Didn't think to take the belts off. I will definitely give that a test.

These answers are most certainly reassuring. Based on these answers I can just spray everything with WD40 right? Jk, I will fix it properly whatever is the culprit.
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2015 at 5:27pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

My guess is a belt driven accessory. First try taking a very large screwdriver or a metal rod and touching it to what you want to listen to,ie raw water pump,alternator or circulation pump then press the other end to your head. Sounds like a bearing to me should be able to tell what it's coming from with the screwdriver.

safety tip. Keep all hair and loose clothing well clear of rotating belts and equipment.   I saw an ugly scene that almost scalped a dude with long hair in High School.
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2015 at 6:08pm
Well thankfully Mother Nature took away the possibility of getting my hair caught 5 year ago.

So made it to a launch and did to tests. 1 disengaged the transmission cable and verified it was in neutral. The noise still persisted. Then I stuck the screwdriver to the transmission and didn't not hear that sound.

Then screwdriver to rwp and didn't hear it, alternator didn't hear it, circulating pump was very noticeable from the screwdriver.

Have to move to a different launch up the road to at least run it on the water. That strange noise is gone. Had the boat out for about 10 min and never once heard it. The other "airy" sound is definitely coming from the primary side of the carb. Maybe the throttle plate is just slightly askew?

Unfortunately, my original problem re-emerged and I'm back to share one. I'll post the video link once it is uploaded.
oldcuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2015 at 7:39pm
If the circulater pump was making that much noise (kind of hard to hear on my phone rattling ?) You should be able to feel play in shaft with belt off
xarmypilot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xarmypilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2015 at 8:56pm
Hey Spiral, just an observation, but that sounds exactly like the noise my prop shaft was making after repacking the stuffing box. I had to re-adjust both nuts a bit before I found the "sweet spot" to make the noise subside. Granted, if in neutral and the shaft isn't rotating, then that's definitely not your issue. Hopefully it's just the belts...
'87 SN 2001
'68 Chris~Craft Grand Prix (Past family boat)
'72 Checkmate Mx16 (Past family boat)

"Speed is life, altitude is life insurance"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2015 at 9:53pm
Drat, I just left the river and saw this or I would have tried it. I'll give that a shot on sat. Earlier I didn't record correctly so we went out again to get more videos. I'll upload when I get home.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2015 at 11:45pm
latest vids:

First Start evening test
Video 3

Without any belts. The engine temp started creeping, so that's why this video is extremely short. In the quick moves, i got the rpms to around 2000 and didn't notice the sound. Belt driven device confirmation?
Video 4

This is the longest one with extended use of the throttle. Not only can you hear the original sound of this post, but you can get a sense of the issue that started this nightmare.
Video 5 (longest one)

Easy idle with alternator disconnected. Very obvious original issue i was having. keep an eye on the RWP wheel as well as the bolts for the circ. pump. Not only can you hear the engine, but you can definitely see it too.
Video 6

Another "surging" video, this time with alternator connected again.
Video 7

A director's cut with flyover shots of the carb and then back to the transmission.
Video 8

I did disconnect the transmission cable, and moved it into forward and reverse a few times (very smooth) and settled it in neutral for these vids. I can verify that the prop wasn't spinning as there was no forward movement of the boat at any time unless I specifically put it in gear. I really wished it was as simple as the shaft nuts :(

While the belts were off, I tried to "wiggle" the circ pump wheel and that seemed pretty tight on the shaft. I spun the wheel without the belt and it spun pretty freely (of course not as fast as if the engine was moving it)

In the end, the noise is annoying and means somthing isn't quite right but did go away for my afternoon test. It is really the surging that makes the boat inoperable at this stage. 62wood thought it was the timing, but I checked that many many times tonight and it is spot on at 10º both in neutral and in gear. Checked the points and still holding strong at 0.018.

I guess my plan of attack would be to put the old dizzy parts back in as the boat was running like a top at the start of the season. If that doesn't work, suck it up and get a compression tester to rule out compression. After that, fuel?

Thanks for all your thoughts and suggestions. I'm running out of things to check/change, but obviously the missing piece is not lodged in my thoughts otherwise i would be out getting in some good runs :D

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2015 at 4:53pm
well, i had to get my head back in the game to give this another go.

A little tough to see the RWP, but both belts were removed and the sound persisted. Therefore the noise can not be from a belt driven accessory.
Video 9

My worse fear. The sound was definitely prominent towards the rear of the engine. Put my hand on the shift lever and could feel exactly when the sound would start and when it would end. The transmission shift lever was in the neutral location.
Video 10

Well for sake of argument, I had a week and a half ago when I did a fluid change, I filled the transmission with oil when the engine was cold. The engine is now warm and I decided to check again and the fluid was low, so I added about 1/2 quart. Low and behold with the engine running at 3500 RPM, there is no sound. FACEPALM! Lesson learned. So @xarmypilot, you get the prize for being the closest!

-Spiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2015 at 12:07am
Final post for this thread i hope. We took the boat out to make sure our noise had been cured. Let's just say we are a happy family again :)

Evening Cruise

Thanks again for all the suggestions!

-Spiral
xarmypilot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xarmypilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2015 at 10:22am
That's excellent news, Spiral! So glad to hear that you were able to sort everything out with such a simple and cheap fix.

Given all the other possible alternatives, I'd take that one as a big win and move on to the fun.

As a footnote, I still get the annoying noise from time to time - but only when I have the boat running in the driveway. I've learned that if I drop a half cup of water on the gland nut before running, it'll just purr like a tiger.

I've checked shaft alignment and it appears to be spot on, so there's probably a rubber gasket or o-ring in there somewhere that is in need of just a little lubrication.
'87 SN 2001
'68 Chris~Craft Grand Prix (Past family boat)
'72 Checkmate Mx16 (Past family boat)

"Speed is life, altitude is life insurance"
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2015 at 11:06am
Originally posted by xarmypilot xarmypilot wrote:

As a footnote, I still get the annoying noise from time to time - but only when I have the boat running in the driveway. I've learned that if I drop a half cup of water on the gland nut before running, it'll just purr like a tiger.

I've checked shaft alignment and it appears to be spot on, so there's probably a rubber gasket or o-ring in there somewhere that is in need of just a little lubrication.

Rob,
I have experienced this as well. Even with the "drippless" packing in the shaft gland, it still needs some water for lubrication. Typically it's a high pitch squeal at lower RPM's that goes away after the boats been in the water a few.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic